The Avalanches

Whittick

On 03/04/2017 at 3:43 PM, Homer said:

Great - thanks!

ex said they were pretty rubbish at Field Day, hopefully they've picked it up!

Was about to say their Field Day set was largely a shambles. A real disappointment for me as there was alot of hype surrounding their re emergance at the time.

Based on that I might not bother with them at Glasto. If K-pez is on at the same time I'll go see her instead. 

6 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Was about to say their Field Day set was largely a shambles. A real disappointment for me as there was alot of hype surrounding their re emergance at the time.

Aye, it really was a mess but I'm probably going to give them another go at Glastonbury now the setup has changed (clash permitting).

On 2017-5-18 at 2:09 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'd still give them the benefit of the doubt, but the likely clash with Katie Perry has all but scuppered them from any putative itinerary.

They'll almost definitely clash with The National rather than Katy Perry, on account of Foos' probable 2.5 hour set.

7 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Only catching up with Wildflower now again. Going to be a cracking gig. A highlight.

Yup, got no doubt that whilst it may not be the same band Neil saw in 2001, the set will be comprised of nothing but bangerz from the get go and the crowd will be down for a paaartay.

The Avalanches vs The National

That clash is going to haunt for me for years. On the one hand I've never seen the Avalanches and have seen The  National  multiple times (with tickets to see them twice this year). On the other hand The National are my favourite act going at the moment. 

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Damn, fam.  Clashing with some ultra-heavy realness on at The Gully at the same time though.

Late afternoons / early evenings are rammed.

Who is bringing the real you speak of.

35 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

The Avalanches vs The National

That clash is going to haunt for me for years. On the one hand I've never seen the Avalanches and have seen The  National  multiple times (with tickets to see them twice this year). On the other hand The National are my favourite act going at the moment. 

Same boat. I think you answered your own question here though and would probably regret not seeing The National more further on down the line.

1 hour ago, The60ftOctopus said:

Same boat. I think you answered your own question here though and would probably regret not seeing The National more further on down the line.

Haha yeah I think you're right.

The Avalanches 19:00-20:00

The National 19:45-20:45

Can get in a good half an hour of the Avs, but will miss the crowd favourites. 

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, DTichborne said:

I saw them in Bristol on Tuesday. They were a treat.

I saw them too. Musically very good but I thought the PA was terrible. I could barely hear her singing. They only seemed to half sort it out by the end too.

I wasn't going to see them again but I'm tempted to swing by West Holts and hear how it sounds on a decent setup.

They're very much a live band now. Not the Yoda/Shadow sampling of old. Even Frontier Pyschiatrist was pretty much the LP version and not a record deck in sight 

2 hours ago, t0paz said:

I saw them too. Musically very good but I thought the PA was terrible. I could barely hear her singing. They only seemed to half sort it out by the end too.

I wasn't going to see them again but I'm tempted to swing by West Holts and hear how it sounds on a decent setup.

They're very much a live band now. Not the Yoda/Shadow sampling of old. Even Frontier Pyschiatrist was pretty much the LP version and not a record deck in sight 

Spot on. Great gig, bad sound. 

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Really enjoyed them. Very busy for a WH gig at that time and the place went off properly for a couple of tunes. That Frankie Sinatra tune in particular. 

it was very different to when I saw them in 2001, tho I did expect it would be. They didn't have any vocalists previously, with that stuff coming via live mixing from turntables back then. Still enjoyable, tho.

I had to laugh at the claim it was their first Uk festival tho. Complete bullshit. I saw them at 2 different ones in 2001.