Bands for 2017

eagles69

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Getting PJ is a real coup for green man.

Absolutely.  Not only are all three headliners UK festival exclusives, apparently this is PJ Harvey's only UK show in 2017.

Their headliners aren't really to my taste, but it's a pretty high standard that Green Man have set.

I hope EOTR's line-up is better than Green Man's! Do you guys know if it's unusual for a band to return to EOTR? From looking at previous line-ups, it seems that bands only play there once and don't seem to return (with a few exceptions). I'm hoping for Mac Demarco and Parquet Courts to return. Praying for Interpol, The National, Real Estate, and Spoon to debut.

Edited by GG306

EOTR does get a lot of repeat bookings, not so much in the headliners, more so lower down the bill. That said Joanna Newsom has headlined twice. St Vincent headlined with David Byrne one year and then again the following year solo. Wild Beasts have played three times, once as a headliner, Yo La Tengo have also headlined twice. It's not impossible and from a "repeat headliner" perspective this year, I'd say the most likely is probably Flaming Lips.

I'd kind of expect Mac Demarco back this year, looking at when and where he is playing this summer. Parquet Courts? Are they doing summer festivals? I still think Interpol could feature, Spoon and Real Estate would be great. But I gather that The National are REALLY expensive (weren't they one of the reasons behind ATP's financial struggles?), so I don't know whether EOTR is a little small for them.

7 minutes ago, shoebox said:

EOTR does get a lot of repeat bookings, not so much in the headliners, more so lower down the bill. That said Joanna Newsom has headlined twice. St Vincent headlined with David Byrne one year and then again the following year solo. Wild Beasts have played three times, once as a headliner, Yo La Tengo have also headlined twice. It's not impossible and from a "repeat headliner" perspective this year, I'd say the most likely is probably Flaming Lips.

I'd kind of expect Mac Demarco back this year, looking at when and where he is playing this summer. Parquet Courts? Are they doing summer festivals? I still think Interpol could feature, Spoon and Real Estate would be great. But I gather that The National are REALLY expensive (weren't they one of the reasons behind ATP's financial struggles?), so I don't know whether EOTR is a little small for them.

That's great then! Mac Demarco would be great at EOTR. I pray you're right! He has a new album coming out in April I believe, so it's possible. Parquet Courts are finishing up their Human Performance gigs so they might continue to some festivals. Spoon and Real Estate seem like they're likely candidates. Especially the latter!

I had no idea The National were so expensive. I got into them before Trouble Will Find Me came out and it was that album that consolidated the High Violet success and made them such a major act. I still think of them as a relatively obscure band but I guess they aren't anymore after selling out the Barclays Centre in Brooklyn and the O2 in London!

Edited by GG306

16 hours ago, Mardy said:

I'd take Lambchop in a heartbeat. Their latest album is outrageously good.

It is, and they're one of my favourite bands, but I just don't feel that they're a "festival band". The few times I've seen them, I've kind of felt that I don't want to share them with anyone else, if that makes sense? That I don't want to be part of a crowd when listening to them. A seated venue might feel different, but standing around and watching them perform just never feels like the right way to experience them.

21 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Yeah maybe. Eotr is the only festival I've been to where there's that level of respect and behaviour from the audience that it might just work. I agree with you though, I think.

The first year I went (2008), Kurt played solo in the Big-Top and yes, there was that respectful reverence from the crowd, but it still felt odd. That said, if they were playing, I'd be watching them. Such a great band.