Bands for 2017

eagles69

3 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

anyone got any idea on who the secret sets might be?

Well after all that Daughter speculation recently, that could be a possibility. They are playing at a festival in Netherlands on Friday and then they're playing Italy on Monday so it is possible.

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

I see that Wild Beasts, Jon Hopkins, Pinegrove and Flamingods all played secret sets last year. Were they TBAs or totally unannounced sets?

Wild Beasts announced on the day.Jon Hopkins was a total secret.

TBAs - Pinegrove and Flamingods played earlier the same days and were semi secrets. Seratones, Blind Snakes and The Big Moon also played, and there was a secret (although rumoured) Ezra Furman disco dungeon type thing. 

There were secret sets on the piano stage which are only announced by TLOBF on Twitter (not the best reception in that area so you may need to linger around the Garden Stage. Ones I saw were Phosphorescent, Ezra Furman, Bill Ryder Jones, Baywaves and that idiot from MONEY. 

There are several really frustrating clashes this year for me:

Real Estate vs Jen Lekman

Julie Byrne vs Goat Girl (the latter I keep missing. The former I've seen play in a kitchen.)

Let's Eat Grandma vs W.H. Lung vs Band of Horses

Band of Horses vs Car Seat Headrest (there's an obvious solution to this but the one time I've seen BoH they were phenomenal. Albeit it's a different line-up now)

Amadou and Mariam vs Perfume Genius vs Girl Ray

Derhoof meaning missing Perfume Genius and Marika Hackman

Starcrawler vs Julie Jacklin vs Alison Crutchfield  

which probably means it's a good line-up! 

Last year the weather dictated I probably opted for the Tipi more than I would have. 

On 26 August 2017 at 8:12 AM, juliadevitt said:

yes please!

Girl Ray were great fun; lead singer's voice had almost completely gone due to laryngitis but they carried on regardless. More jaunty than on record. If you've not seen either and you like Perfume Genius I would see him, as you can still see Girl Ray in fun little venues at moment!

The thing I really love about this festival is getting to know all of these new (to me) bands.

When they make the first announcements I generally only know a couple but by the end of August there are so many

that I have to see and a few that I am desperate to see!

I can't tell you how much  I am looking forward to seeing Car Seat Headrest who I had never heard of until this year.

How excited I will be when I hear the opening bars of 'Vincent' in a beautiful garden in Dorset.

Yeah, this is the worst year for clashes in the 6 years I've been going. Genuinely torn on lots of them. Can't make a decision, will see how I feel on the day, I guess. And the more ilisten to the playlist, the more bands I find, and the worse it gets. Might just give up and spend the weekend in the Courtyard Bar.

34 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, this is the worst year for clashes in the 6 years I've been going. Genuinely torn on lots of them. Can't make a decision, will see how I feel on the day, I guess. And the more ilisten to the playlist, the more bands I find, and the worse it gets. Might just give up and spend the weekend in the Courtyard Bar.

My way of coping with clashes -

I try not to see a bit of one band and a bit of another. Never that memorable if you haven't invested!

Go to the front and pretend there was no alternative - get into it, you made the right choice!

Cover your ears when everyone says how epic the other set was

If you are getting annoyed by people talking loads during sets, choose the louder / rockier band from the 'clash' !

6 minutes ago, psbros said:

I try not to see a bit of one band and a bit of another. Never that memorable if you haven't invested!

Go to the front and pretend there was no alternative - get into it, you made the right choice!

If you are getting annoyed by people talking loads during sets, choose the louder / rockier band from the 'clash' !

good idea! or the better stage. If I have a clash and one is on the Woods, I go fo the other one.

12 hours ago, psbros said:

Girl Ray were great fun; lead singer's voice had almost completely gone due to laryngitis but they carried on regardless. More jaunty than on record. If you've not seen either and you like Perfume Genius I would see him, as you can still see Girl Ray in fun little venues at moment!

Thank you

On 29/08/2017 at 10:23 AM, psbros said:

If you are getting annoyed by people talking loads during sets, choose the louder / rockier band from the '

clash' !

Yes, I use to try and see a bit of on and bit of another but it never works. Just opt for the one and stick with it.

As for chatterboxes, they should be banned. Plenty of space to chat elsewhere.

On 29/08/2017 at 10:23 AM, psbros said:

3 hours ago, xxialac said:

I'm a bleedin liberal but when it comes to people who go to the front of the concert and then talk all the way through it, they should be fed to the peacocks. 

Yup, it's a bit of an issue .... a bit of luck required to avoid it, or a swift move. I've 'shushed' people before and felt bad about it!!

50 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The festivals should all agree to have polite signs dotted around reminding people.

'If you want to chat during sets, please respect other concertgoers and stand nearer the back.'

Why would anyone fight to get to the front and then talk thorough the gig?

Drugz, Alcohol and Disinterested friends