Bands for 2017

eagles69

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:21 AM, thespiral said:

Awesome news........ Slowdive will be on Woods stage Thurs night, not Big Top as EOTR initially announced 

:D

Glad EOTR saw sense, Thurs is getting busier every year and would be a shame if people couldn't of got in the Big Top.

Good insider info there, and definitely the right call by EOTR I reckon.  What I've heard of The Surfing Magazines so far is pretty great too, and with Bo Ningen as Tipi headliners it's shaping to be an excellent Thursday night again.

Ezra Furman was still going after The Shins finished last year, but we couldn't get in the tent. I'll probably choose Bo Ningen over Slowdive, personally, but Thursday is one of those nights where it's just good fun being with mates and having a few beers. The music has always been a bonus.

11 hours ago, shoebox said:

Ezra Furman was still going after The Shins finished last year, but we couldn't get in the tent. I'll probably choose Bo Ningen over Slowdive, personally, but Thursday is one of those nights where it's just good fun being with mates and having a few beers. The music has always been a bonus.

I totally agree, but it's interesting how Thursday is now more of "a thing" with Woods Stage headliners of some pedigree for the last two years, as opposed to competition winners and underground acts in the Tipi. Don't get me wrong, I used to love the old days, but things have simply moved on. I much preferred last year's Teleman/Shins combination to this year's, but each to their own.

I'm really impressed with the new Waxahatchee album, Out in the Storm. It reminds me of the softer side of grunge back in the early 90s, like Juliana Hatfield and The Breeders. Really good stuff and it'll be great to see some "rock" on the Garden Stage. Sunday is looking awesome from start to finish:

Vaudou Game > Nap Eyes > Rolling Blackout Coastal Fever > Nadia Reid > Julia Jacklin > Waxahatchee > Amadou & Mariam > Marika Hackman > Bill Callahan

It's interesting that Simon was sharing album recommendations about the first 3 of these acts on Instagram during the year, so he does give some clues away as to what might be coming.

On 15/07/2017 at 6:29 PM, ciderbus said:

Thursday is looking prety special to me.

Bo Ningen, Brix and Moonlandingz have each been excellent when I have seen them live.

Slowcoaches album is well worth a blast too.

Hope theres enough room in Tipi to allow a bit of coming and going.

Thursday Tipi looks great from start to finish. Not fussed about Slowdive but want to see Moonlandingz so I second your final paragraph. 

So never having been before, how do the Secret Sets work?

- How many secret sets a day normally?

- Do the bands play the piano stage or the tipi?

- Are the sets normally short?

- Can you get turned away, as they are too crowded?

- What proportion are new names and what proportion bands playing a second set?

Sorry for questionmageddon...

There will be a few secret sessions dotted around the whole site throughout the day, and after dark. These are all organised by The Line Of Best Fit, so keep an eye on their Twitter feed for announcements. Generally speaking they tend to be two or three songs. They generally take place at the Piano Stage, but have been known to pop on the disco ship and other random places. They're seldom overcrowded because of the off-the-cuff nature of them.

The after hours secret sets take place in the Tipi and you might get two or three bands playing. They do get packed out, because they're sort of expected. They will pretty much always be artists that have already played during the day, but could also be collabs between two bands (e.g the Crutchfield sisters being might do a P.S. Eliot set in one of these slots). Generally around 30 minutes or so.

Totally surprise artists are rare. Last year saw Wild Beasts not being announced until the day, likewise Jon Hopkins, but these haven't been a regular thing in the past. You'll also get guest DJs at the disco ship, these can be a bit of a surprise too.