Bands for 2017

eagles69

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Mardy said:

yeah, she threw her toys out the pram when she played Glastonbury the other year too. I love her voice, 'Essence' and 'Car Wheels' are two amazing albums but I get the feeling she can be hard work live.

Saw her last year at the bowling alley attached to the O2, and she was excellent.  Did have one slight moan in reference to it being a bit of a sh*t venue, but I'd say that was as much fair comment as moan.

2 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

who are we hoping for/expecting for the final headliner then?

Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, Slowdive, Sigur Ros, St Vincent, Wilco and Interpol are all possibilities that spring to mind

42 minutes ago, eagles69 said:

with two solo artists headliners already probabl rule out Bon Iver and St Vincent. Have to add XX to the lists of maybes as playing Bestival would love to add The National to your list

Maybe then a non-solo headliner releasing an album later in the year then? WIlco feel likely. Can't imagine Fleet Foxes will be there as well as FJM. Maybe LCD, Grandaddy, Vampire weekend will be. I dunno. Still holding out for Grizzly Bear and Dirty Projectors...

1 hour ago, eagles69 said:

with two solo artists headliners already probabl rule out Bon Iver and St Vincent. Have to add XX to the lists of maybes as playing Bestival would love to add The National to your list

ahh good thinking - we cant forget though that whilst Bon Iver is Justin Vernon's project they are definitely not a solo artist. Also I cant see The xx happening, think they're certain for Glastonbury and would be more likely for Latitude than EOTR I'd think.

8 minutes ago, qrdk said:

Maybe then a non-solo headliner releasing an album later in the year then? WIlco feel likely. Can't imagine Fleet Foxes will be there as well as FJM. Maybe LCD, Grandaddy, Vampire weekend will be. I dunno. Still holding out for Grizzly Bear and Dirty Projectors...

yeah i thought the same about Fleet Foxes. Any of Wilco, Grizzly Bear or LCD would make me very happy.

I think that if it were Wilco, they'd have been announced by now. Nothing to promote as such, already toured here late last year, so not trying to sell tickets for their own shows first. Which is why I don't think it's unreasonable to consider Nick Cave, and the reason he wasn't in yesterday's announcement was because of the timing of his own European show announcements. I mean, it's still unlikely, but I haven't given up hope just yet.

Would love LCD, that would be awesome. The Woods hasn't had a proper "party" since Flaming Lips, IMO. Animal Collective blew it last year. Could have been great, ended up a tuneless mess.

According to the Mary's Chain's official site they are playing EOTR on Sunday. That means they are either Garden Stage headliners or in the late night Big Top slot that the Fanclub took last year. They'd be perfect in either although I suspect they'll be given the latter. The volume they play at would make it sensible for them to be the very last act of the festival rather than have their sound spill over into other stages.

8 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

who are we hoping for/expecting for the final headliner then?

Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, Slowdive, Sigur Ros, St Vincent, Wilco and Interpol are all possibilities that spring to mind

Slowdive are not doing EOTR this year

Edited by thespiral

4 minutes ago, Swanmob said:

The lemon twigs and car seat headrest albums sound quite interesting from the couple of tunes I've listened to off both. Looking forward to delving in to a few of these bands at the weekend. 

Car Seat Headrest's album is excellent, was in the top 10 of many album of the year lists including my own. Saw him/them at Primavera and it was a great set!

4 hours ago, Swanmob said:

It sounds great. What else figured in that top ten of yours out of interest? :)

I think in the end it looked something like this:

1. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree

2. Angel Olsen - My Woman

3. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

4. Anderson.Paak - Malibu

5. Parquet Courts - Human Performance

6. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your service

7. Car Seat Headrest - Teens Of Denial

8. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition

9. Frank Ocean -  Blonde

10. Bon Iver - 22, A Million

honorable mentions for Julia Jacklin, David Bowie, Whitney, King Gizzard, Isaiah Rashad, Leonard Cohen and Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions

i feel we may have a return visit for dirty projectors. its been a while. . would be great. i see lcd mentioned on here, that would be a dream. cant see bon iver returning. neither can i see fleet foxes coming back. how about feist i see she is playing Eaux Claires festival. 

only just noticed Xylouris white on the line up, caught them couple of months back. fantastic. its always a pleasure to catch jim white. the man is just mesmerising on those drums. for me there aint nobody like him. incredible drummer. 

On 8 February 2017 at 9:12 AM, Swanmob said:

Ta. It's alright in my opinion. Many people will love it. 

I'd now count myself amount that loving group having briefly listened to the likes of Omni, car seat headrest, Julia jacklin and lemon twigs for the first time. Great line up! 

6 minutes ago, ljsawyer said:

Already making some great new discoveries - this Omni album is a brilliant blast of post-punk. No idea how I managed to sleep on this one.

This year is going to be clashtastic. 

Omni are amazing. Found them through Discover Weekly on Spotify a few weeks before the announcement but only listened extensively since EOTR announcement. So exciting. If you like them then you will LOVE Preoccupations (fka Viet Cong). 

16 minutes ago, GG306 said:

Omni are amazing. Found them through Discover Weekly on Spotify a few weeks before the announcement but only listened extensively since EOTR announcement. So exciting. If you like them then you will LOVE Preoccupations (fka Viet Cong). 

23 minutes ago, ljsawyer said:

Already making some great new discoveries - this Omni album is a brilliant blast of post-punk. No idea how I managed to sleep on this one.

This year is going to be clashtastic. 

Agreed. I somehow missed them too despite Marc Reilly's constant promotion. Excellent album for me.