'Longleat probably won’t happen any more' Eavis confirms

glasto-worker

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Perfectly possible that the Longleat decision has caused them to change their plans and bring the fallow year forward to give them more time to work out what to do in 2019.

yep, that might be it.

Tho I suspect reverting the fallow year back to the year it 'should' be might have more to do with the traffic chaos around this year's festival. In light of that chaos, I suspect the Eavii felt that sticking to the expectation of 2018 being a break for the locals would be the best way to manage any local hostilities.

55 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yep, that might be it.

Tho I suspect reverting the fallow year back to the year it 'should' be might have more to do with the traffic chaos around this year's festival. In light of that chaos, I suspect the Eavii felt that sticking to the expectation of 2018 being a break for the locals would be the best way to manage any local hostilities.

Sounds about right, worry is that it reinforces the uncertain future for the festival, if they are struggling to avoid local hostilities

9 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37340905

Glastonbury Festival: 'No plans to move for fallow year'

lets work though this 

on ' 2 June 2016 ' - this was the line 'Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis said he hopes to hold a new music festival in Longleat in 2019.It is a "fallow year" for Glastonbury, which takes a break every six years so as not to cause damage to Worthy Farm.

so now he claims ' We will be taking our next fallow year in 2018, in order to give the farm, the village and the festival team the traditional year off. "There are no plans to hold an event at another location in 2018."

so ' 2018 and  2019 ' cant be both # fallow year's #

so if its not held 2018 then will it be held in  2019 ?

Confused ? - well so is he .

it really does not make sense - yes I know he cant use Longleat but ' that was claimed to be 2019 ' so should not affect 2018.

they really do appear as if they don't have a bloody clue.

I'm not remotely confused.

The festival didn't want to down tools for a year ever again, so were prepared to push things a bit and have the fallow year in 2019 if that meant they would be able to put on a festival every year by moving site.  Now that there's no chance of having an alternative site ready for 2019, they decided that they should have the fallow in 2018 after all, to strengthen their position in Pilton.  

To look at it another way, if a new site was ready for 2020, then a fallow in 2019 could mean 2 years in a row away from Worthy - surely nobody (other than some irate locals) wants that?  They wouldn't want to pass up an opportunity and don't have the resources to put on two events at the same time.

They have a lot of factors - available land, punter opinion, local pressure, organisational resources, press coverage, local councils etc. - to consider.  They most certainly seem to have a clue to me.  I think moving the fallow back to 2018 is the right call.

Another note was that moving the festival during the fallow year would also give all the huge management team something to do during the 'year off' 

This is a full time job for a lot of people - a year off may mean they need to look elsewhere for work, there is concern that they may join other festivals / events teams.

It was always going to be a struggle to find another site, what with needing a fairly aesthetic one with such demanding, access, general logistics and acreage needs, preferably all under single ownership. This is perhaps why so many 'larger' (e.g. over 10K-15K) festivals are held on country estates surely?

So, potentially all to play for in 2017 then, with perhaps the family hoping that someone now approaches them in the meantime with an offer for a compatible site, else sensibly committing themselves to nothing post-2018 fallow year.

Edited by Pinhead
Dodgy formatting

21 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Can't believe how naive the couple were however. Glasto is media famous at least for its mud. What did they expect!

From the perspective of a landowner like that, if they have the land available to be used, selling its use to a festival is free money - and big-time free-money, too.

It would have been daft of Longleat not to investigate the idea to the fullest extent, because that costs nothing and the pay-back might be massive.

And as a landowner i'm sure he's used to bad mud, but it probably takes a visit to Glastonbury to grasp just how all-encompassing the mud becomes.

And, it's quite possibly the case that Michael &/or media distortion was suggesting it was nearer a done-deal than it was.

I'd say you're probably being a bit harsh.

Maybe harsh - fair enough. I find it surprising though that given Glasto is basically down the road from his estate, extremely well covered by a number of different medias - especially concerning the mud in wet years, has been going for so long and perhaps that very point you mention about him being a landowner, that he apparently found the extent of the mud a shock. Perhaps however that element is being somewhat overemphasised by the media reporting - given the above, I would be more inclined to believe that it was the disruptive post-festival logistics of the operation that more greatly dissuaded him rather than the mud.

13 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Is it? Where are cows meant to live? Where are tigers and lions etc meant to live?

Cows are evolved to live in fields, but I don't think they're meant be continually forced to get pregnant, pumped with antibiotics and then have all their calves food taken by machine. Not to mention most of their sons being shot.

I do take the point about habitat, but the animal's welfare is never going to be a priority when they're being kept for food.

You can make the case either way, which is why I said "arguably".

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Cows are evolved to live in fields, but I don't think they're meant be continually forced to get pregnant, pumped with antibiotics and then have all their calves food taken by machine. Not to mention most of their sons being shot.

I do take the point about habitat, but the animal's welfare is never going to be a priority when they're being kept for food.

You can make the case either way, which is why I said "arguably".

Fair point(s). What we do to animals is disgraceful. I once went to Dudley zoo as a child and saw a bear shaking it's head from side to side. I'm no bear expert but knew that it was mightily fucked off. I guess most of us are culpable of being actively involved in animal abuse. Time for a re-think - I think.

On 12/09/2016 at 9:59 AM, EamerRed said:

If we could keep this on the downlow that would be great eFesters. Last thing we want is a tabloid rush for 2017, the last Glasto festival ever!

Yeah, good idea. Sshhh.. Just between us, because journalists are unable to read an open public forum. <shakes head>

The only reason an alternative site is "essential" is for leverage in Eavis's discussions with neighbouring landowners who are demanding more rental money.

If the threat to move gets anywhere near fruition they'll back down as they know they've got a good earner & wouldn't want to risk loosing it completely.

The majority of locals finally realised the value of the festival to the area when, in 2001, they demanded the festival go ahead as the farmers couldn't sell at market due to foot & mouth.

Edited by Dave F.