'Longleat probably won’t happen any more' Eavis confirms

glasto-worker

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Inconspicuous said:

It's worrying, many more serious problems like the awful rain prior to this year's festival, and resulting traffic chaos, and the site will be seen to be less than suitable. I'd rather see a reduced capacity and return to a more manageable festival than relocation. I think we all know a new location will inevitably lose much of the magic of Glastonbury.

I agree with the suggestion that it would be better to reduce the size of the festival than to move it, but then perhaps it would lose some of it's status. Maybe eventually Glastonbury will become a smaller, cheaper festival whilst they start a new new festival elsewhere run by the same people with big, world class acts, like the current Glastonbury.

Edited by dylangraham

Difficult to reduce its size once it has grown to the behemoth it is - a lot of peoples livelihoods tied up in it. Perhaps introduce a regular fallow year again, maybe once every 3 years, then hold smaller festivals elsewhere with fewer numbers those years as smaller numbers increases the options for other sites. Does not surprise me ME would like the farm back and is perhaps weary of it all now, but EE wants to become a festival events manager before a farmer I think.

8 hours ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

The website says the capacity is 200,000 which is more than Glastonbury 

I think that the figure of 200,000 is the the total number of visitors over the 5 days of the Steam Fair and not sure if the site would be big enough to hold 150,000+ in one go, living only a couple of miles from the site the other problems I can foresee is one of access, the Steam Fair site is on the Salisbury to Blandford road and is the only access road to the site. The other problem would be one of camping, according to their website they can accommodate up to 5,000 camping units (caravans/tents etc), the majority of visitors to the Steam Fair are day visitors.

http://www.gdsf.co.uk/index.php/visitor-camping/camping-information

35 minutes ago, Blannyboy said:

I think that the figure of 200,000 is the the total number of visitors over the 5 days of the Steam Fair and not sure if the site would be big enough to hold 150,000+ in one go, living only a couple of miles from the site the other problems I can foresee is one of access, the Steam Fair site is on the Salisbury to Blandford road and is the only access road to the site. The other problem would be one of camping, according to their website they can accommodate up to 5,000 camping units (caravans/tents etc), the majority of visitors to the Steam Fair are day visitors.

http://www.gdsf.co.uk/index.php/visitor-camping/camping-information

I have no idea mate I've never been to the steam fair, I'm not too far away from the site/you. 

I read somewhere that the the Steam Fair site is 600 acres, so it's a third smaller. To maintain the size they'd have to rent land which, even if it is possible, might leave them in the position they're trying to avoid on the present site - negotiating with multiple landowners. 

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Word we've just had is that the current plans are:-

1. longleat defo not happening.
2. 2018 will be a year off.
3. Glasto fest in 2019, location currently up in the air.

If we could keep this on the downlow that would be great eFesters. Last thing we want is a tabloid rush for 2017, the last Glasto festival ever!

6 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

If we could keep this on the downlow that would be great eFesters. Last thing we want is a tabloid rush for 2017, the last Glasto festival ever

what'll cause that tabloid bollocks is people making it up just like the tabloids do. 

Nothing I said  remotely indicated that 2017 would be the last. Get a feckin' grip. :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

what'll cause that tabloid bollocks is people making it up just like the tabloids do. 

Nothing I said  remotely indicated that 2017 would be the last. Get a feckin' grip. :rolleyes:

Tad harsh Neil....I think Eamer was merely implying that given the circumstances the tabloids will themselves hype 2017 up as potentially the 'last' Glastonbury ever.

21 hours ago, Inconspicuous said:

That's just the website of local paper and it's take on it. It isn't a super reliable one on the festival so I wouldn't worry about what it says. It's most likely just looking for - and getting - clicks.

41 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Tad harsh Neil....I think Eamer was merely implying that given the circumstances the tabloids will themselves hype 2017 up as potentially the 'last' Glastonbury ever.

Exactly. And it wouldn't even have to be the last one ever, but for people to believe it's the last one on the farm and people would become hysterical.

Edited by Untz

4 minutes ago, Untz said:

Exactly. And it wouldn't even have to be the last one ever, but for people to believe it's the last one on the farm and people would become hysterical.

which people posting "it's the last one" helps to push.

Me pointing that out that redeamer is helping cause the very thing he said he didn't want to cause isn't harsh, it's pointing out the obvious in the hope that it doesn't become self-fulfilling. ;)

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

56 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Exactly this. I was mimicking the tabloid sensationalism, not saying that it was the last ever :lol: