Forrest Gump II?

Superscally

So slightly off topic...but sneaks in IMO as it may affect my attendance next June 

I was wondering if you guys would fancy following an adventure I'm about to undertake. Next week I leave for America to begin an attempt to recreate Forrest Gump's run across the USA. I'm running for the World Wildlife Fund and Peace Direct! As a little taster...here's a trailer I have made for it and the social media/website links below. Feel free to ask me anything!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/runroblarun Twitter: runroblarun Instagram: run.robla.run

• Upvote 6

Hello Superscally

I have made a note of your website and will drop in on it to see how you are getting on. Not only that but I wish you all the very best.

I hadn't responded sooner because I was biting my lip about the World Wildlife Fund. This was the very orgainisation that I made my first ever charity contribution to many many years ago. Then I read somewhere that a lot of the very senior staff just fly around the world on jollies using the WWF's money under the guise of being actively involved in conservation. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but when I read it I stopped my payments and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

A mixed reply! :D Thanks so much for the kind wisjes and I hope I can put your mind at rest! I actually asked some of the team (including section leaders) if they fancied coming out to join me on the trip to help with support crew duty and was told that staff weren't able to take any trips for the company unless their presence was absolutely essential. I did my research on chairites before I picked em and they score very highly on the charity ratings websites, so I'm happy with the choice - hope that reassures you a bit! :)

8 hours ago, Superscally said:

A mixed reply! :D Thanks so much for the kind wisjes and I hope I can put your mind at rest! I actually asked some of the team (including section leaders) if they fancied coming out to join me on the trip to help with support crew duty and was told that staff weren't able to take any trips for the company unless their presence was absolutely essential. I did my research on chairites before I picked em and they score very highly on the charity ratings websites, so I'm happy with the choice - hope that reassures you a bit! :)

Hello Superscally

I'd like to say that I can't remember where I read about the staff going on jollies, but do know it was about 30 years ago so it mustn't have been on the internet. Maybe it was the case then but with greater scrutiny on charities it no longer is the case. In any case unfortunately I can't donate as I'm skint - I'm only on line now because of someone else's charity towards me.

As I said, I'll be reading about your developments and willing you on. Your venture reminds me of someone on here a few years back who blogged his return, across land mostly, to Glastonbury festival from his current location that was in the Far east somewhere. I like reading about people's travels. If you need a good travelogue book to read during your time over in the states (or at anytime really) then I'd recommend reading Clear Waters Rising: A Mountain Walk Across Europe by Nicholas Crane. It's his story of walking for 17 months along the chain of mountains which stretches across Europe from Cape Finisterre to Istanbul.

Anyway, all the best.

• Upvote 1

On 11/09/2016 at 11:05 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Superscally

I'd like to say that I can't remember where I read about the staff going on jollies, but do know it was about 30 years ago so it mustn't have been on the internet. Maybe it was the case then but with greater scrutiny on charities it no longer is the case. In any case unfortunately I can't donate as I'm skint - I'm only on line now because of someone else's charity towards me.

As I said, I'll be reading about your developments and willing you on. Your venture reminds me of someone on here a few years back who blogged his return, across land mostly, to Glastonbury festival from his current location that was in the Far east somewhere. I like reading about people's travels. If you need a good travelogue book to read during your time over in the states (or at anytime really) then I'd recommend reading Clear Waters Rising: A Mountain Walk Across Europe by Nicholas Crane. It's his story of walking for 17 months along the chain of mountains which stretches across Europe from Cape Finisterre to Istanbul.

Anyway, all the best.

Cheers for the book recommendation I'll try and get hold of a copy! Don't stress about the donation, but feel free to follow on FB, website, twitter, Instagram etc and spread the word! :-) 

On 12/09/2016 at 5:45 AM, justperfect said:

Did I hear you on the radio last week with Vernon?

I was with Colin Murray! Not sure what the Vernon thing was :-) 

Also, thanks to woffy, themuel and ZMG for the kind words and follows!

On 11/09/2016 at 2:30 AM, Avalon_Fields said:

I'm happy to make a donation, as a long time WWF supporter. 

Thanks for the donation! Virgin Money Giving doesn't seem to let me reply individually so glad to get the chance on here!

Currently on a bus to New Orleans from Houston, then Mobile and the start tomorrow :-) 

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Cheers for the book recommendation I'll try and get hold of a copy! Don't stress about the donation, but feel free to follow on FB, website, twitter, Instagram etc and spread the word! :-) 

I was with Colin Murray! Not sure what the Vernon thing was :-) 

Also, thanks to woffy, themuel and ZMG for the kind words and follows!

Thanks for the donation! Virgin Money Giving doesn't seem to let me reply individually so glad to get the chance on here!

Currently on a bus to New Orleans from Houston, then Mobile and the start tomorrow :-) 

Wowser! This is really happening, Scally!

Stretches. LOTS of stretches!

Hey guys, a mini update! I'm currently sitting in a holiday Inn in Houston, hoping to get an rv tomorrow. Done 5 days at about an average of 28 miles a day, so bit of a bind to have to stop, but hey, my feet aren't complaining. I might get round to that stretching! If any of you fancy coming out for a week or two of an unusual road trip, let me know! I've started blogging a bit at the www.goingthedistancerun.com site and if you guys can like and share the social media wibblers on there, I'll be forever grateful! I'm pretty good at replying to stuff on them, so if you have any burning questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck in the Mara shuttlep! That sounds pretty awesome

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 25 October 2016 at 0:50 AM, Superscally said:

Hey guys, just a quick update! I passed the halfway point today! 1090 miles run in about 36 days. Just north of a town called Pecos now in Texas on my way to Santa Monia. Would love it if you could follow on facebook etc: www.facebook.com/runroblarun 

Cheers!

P.S. I got tickets! Wooooo!

They say the term legend is overused these days... But not here!!

unbelievable effort , good luck with rest of the run. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...