Favourite set this year

juliadevitt

Savages with special mentions to Kevin Morby and Imarhan, who exceeded expectations.

Someone I know who's a record producer told me to go watch The Big Moon, who he's rated since working with them. Bad clash - I had to watch Lucy Dacus, who was great, but that's the one I regret missing from the weekend.

What was the gig you regret missing?

Edited by paulwa

On 08/09/2016 at 3:41 PM, ghandi said:

Woods : Savages on fire ( base crush on Ayse)

Garden : The Oh Sees and Thurston Moore

Big top : Weaves or Cats eyes or Steve Mason :)

Tipi : Didn't spend much time there but Hard Skin were funny, not very Oi by far believe me I've seen it first hand, and would have been Mothers but got pulled away after two songs because my mate was bored and I loved their album, wish they'd started a bit chirpier.

Honerable mention to the two nutters in the Big Top , I think it was ' The Big Moon' , very funny and enjoyably bad.

Sorry more than one  :) 

Couldn't take my eyes off the Savages bass player... her moves reminded me of Flea from the Chilli Peppers.

Which is a lie, because I was torn between her and Jehnny Beth.

2 hours ago, shoebox said:

I don't know about "regret" but I was gutted to have missed Thurston Moore and Local Natives due to clashes.

Yeah I missed the first half or so of Thurston Moore. Was having too much fun at Broken Social Scene.

Gutted I missed Teenage Fan club too. Not sure what I was doing for that one though...

Woods - Broken Social Scene

Big Top - The Big Moon I

Garden - Ezra I (but I loved Bill Ryder Jones set)

Tipi - Ezra III (but close run vs Yak and The Big Moon II)

Most missed - I had the Big Moon vs Lucy Dacus conundrum, but knew The Big Moon was going to be special so unfortunately only saw one and a half songs from Dacus.

On 8 September 2016 at 8:48 AM, juliadevitt said:

If you had to narrow it down to just the one, who would it be? who blew you away?

Mine would be MONEY. The sound was excellent. We had a good spot and I found it very powerful. I even shed a tear or two!

I thought they were great too, but surprised you were impressed by the sound. From where we were, many songs were drowned out by Savages on the Woods stage - maybe it was dependant on position in BT!

By stage:

Woods - Joanna. Might be my least favourite stage though TBH

Garden - Ezra, followed closely by Thee Oh Sees, Phosphorescent, Sam and Jessica, Kevin Morby, Imarhan, Thurston..., i'll stop there as i loved pretty much everyone on GS and am rubbish at picking just one

Big Top - BEAK, followed by Money or Steve Mason

Tipi - Hard Skin - funnest act of festival

Gutted i missed Karl Blau as he clashed ( i think with Phosphorescent)

Edited by staffop

Woods: Savages (The Shins second). Saw a lot of strong acts on the Woods stage this year. Sound quality phenominal.

Big Top: King Gizzard & The Wizard Lizard (for once, I didn't see a lot of acts in the Big Top)

Garden: Kevin Morby (Imarhan second). A good Garden Stage lineup over the weekend. Was it me or was it a bit too loud and harsh sounding at times? Certainly nearer the pain threshold than the Woods stage.

Tipi: Lucy Dacus. Quality of acts a bit varied in the Tipi, but there were some real gems.

Was pretty down-hearted to come home afterwards, but feel a whole lot better now that a 2017 ticket has been secured.

Edited by paulwa