Kings of Leon

willd255

take sex on fire and use somebody off that album and their career earnings plummet, their direction after that album would be totally different too.

they are a very awkward sized band to ever fit into a Glastonbury line up again because of those 2 songs like a mad Tetris piece with weird arms 

9 hours ago, jyoung said:

Why?

It’s been mentioned above, but I just think they’re too big to be anything but a headliner and there’s just much better options out there now. 

Returning headliners tend to be British, with The Killers being the obvious recent outlier (as has been mentioned). 

Who knows I may be wrong but I’d say Coldplay, AM, Kasabian, Blur and Muse are all ahead of them in the returning bands queue. 

25 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

A wave of moans when Reading & Leeds stuck them on as headliners in 2018 says it all.

The fact that they even did get chosen to headline when average year of birth for R+L goers will have been this century says it all, really. Still a huge band and would be more appreciated by the crowd at Glastonbury, where the average age is thirtysomething and the clientele is more of a mirror to the general British public.

There’s no chance Kings of Leon take lower than headline. They’d pack it in if things got that bad.

Edited by dentalplan

One thing that contradicts my own point and a reason they would perhaps accept a lower slot, is that they seem to “get” the festival. 

They’ve risen through the ranks and understand the cultural significance of Glasto, so maybe they’d be inclined to take a lower slot. 

It would probably have to be a secret set a la The Killers. 

Why does a half-sold stadium in the North East refute that they wouldn’t accept less than headline? Are you just trying to show me that they’ve dropped off? Because I do understand that, but it’s not to the extent that they’d be anything other than a headliner if playing Glastonbury.

I think the fact that they’re one of the last rock/guitar bands to really make it big before people stopped largely giving a shit about that type of music is probably gonna keep them at headliner size for a while longer than they probably deserve. Can’t think of many rock bands since who’ve had hits nearly half as big as those two from OBTN, and so they’re just a perfect easy booking for a festival without a rock headliner. Don’t see Glastonbury going that way, but then I said the same about The Killers, so who knows? In a shit year for touring headliners, maybe they’ll merit a call. I really doubt it though, and think they just won’t play again.

• 3 years later...

I don't know if anyone has spotted this, but the Kings of Leon are playing at the British Grand Prix a couple of days after Glastonbury.  Are they likely to make an appearance at Worthy Farm as well?  Have no idea where they would play on the bill these days - doubt they're the 'huge American act' that's become available, but thought I'd throw it out there

1 hour ago, minikiev said:

I don't know if anyone has spotted this, but the Kings of Leon are playing at the British Grand Prix a couple of days after Glastonbury.  Are they likely to make an appearance at Worthy Farm as well?  Have no idea where they would play on the bill these days - doubt they're the 'huge American act' that's become available, but thought I'd throw it out there

Hope so 

KoL would nail a secret slot the same way the Killers did. It's weird to think that 2008 slot was the perfect time for them to headline - they became a punchline just a year or two after which culminated in their terrible Reading slot.

Looking at their recent sets, something Like:

The Bucket
Waste a Moment
Molly's Chambers
Radioactive
On Call
Closer
Knocked Up
Fans
Use Somebody
Sex On Fire

Would go down well. They'd never headline again though.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, minikiev said:

I feel like they're more likely to turn up at Hyde Park or Finsbury Park instead.

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

KoL filling the Madge slot would be heading towards The Darkness coming off the bench to fill in for Bowie at TITP that time

Tbf at least The Darkness were already there as subs. Though I gather that Muse on the second stage ended up having the larger crowd.

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

KoL filling the Madge slot would be heading towards The Darkness coming off the bench to fill in for Bowie at TITP that time

Yes, albeit Bowie had already been announced / people bought tickets just to see him. Whereas really we can't even be confident that Madonna was ever really a serious possibility let alone being replaced.

Really enjoyed that KoL set in 2008. They were great until the sex of fire album and then unlistenable afterwards.  

They can still play big venues in the UK but they seem like a band with no momentum or relevance. 

Secret slot for 1 hour where they smashed out stuff from the first 3 albums I'd be interested in. 

Nothing else.