Y Not Festival 2017

Wagon

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 02/08/2017 at 6:37 PM, eFestivals said:

well, I've just found a bit more info, and I was wrong.

Kendal is part-owned by Global, but still run by the people who've always run it in the same way they've always run it. 

That's a different set-up to the likes of Y-Not which is 100% Global owned, and the guy who used to own it is no longer involved with it.

Ralph Broadbent is no longer there but Simon Mawbey is still about.  

I would still have liked 50% of the van pass refunded. Let's face it, I wouldn't have taken 2 days off work and driven over a 300 mile round trip to see what we ended up with. But to be honest I can't waste any more of my life on it, going to accept the refund and mooooooove along!

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

very reasonable, I'd say. :)

Totally agree - maybe I was expecting too much  but was hoping to get some off next year's tickets - could help them next year to build a few sales as some punters may have lost their faith and that could have brought them back. I think after all this though they would have learnt from their mistakes and next year should be decent so i can't see this stopping me coming back. 

Happy with the 50% - stereophonics, cast and frank turner were ace, I quite enjoyed feeder, and I missed two door, Maximo park and a few smaller ones so essentially got half the festival I paid for (would've been at clean bandit and vaccines, just lucky there were alternatives I like, all but one of the others I was with didn't have that luck) Also had a good time when I was there. Sounds about right 

Edited by efcfanwirral

15 hours ago, zahidf said:

would anyone who went want to go next year? How much of it was out of the organisors hands?

I'd say there's fair reasons to think the organisers made some bad decisions this year that at least played some part in what happened, but I'd also say it's quite reasonable to think they'll try to rectify any shortcomings for next year too.

After all, it's not good for them to fuck up again.

Managing a festival is always going to be led by experience to some extent, and any festival can get it wrong. Just think what happened with the traffic at Glastonbury last year (which I predicted would happen as soon as they announced it, too, so there wasn't much excuse for it, it was easy to see what would happen).

Just like an area which has just had a riot is a good place to buy a house (cos that area is about to get huge money thrown at it), a festival which has just fucked up is probably a good festival to go to the next year - because they are likely to be trying particularly hard to not fuck up.

I'm impressed with the refund % and how they're doing it*, and I think that shows good intent going forwards. I'd trust it.

(* OK, it's perhaps not perfect, but it's probably better than anyone expected)

All good points but I hope they scale things back a bit next year.

The reason we didn't get tickets this time was partly due to the rapid expansion and disorganisation last year.

Their website used to talk about "steady organic growth". Maybe they can retrieve things by going back to that.

On 8/5/2017 at 10:35 AM, eFestivals said:

I'd say there's fair reasons to think the organisers made some bad decisions this year that at least played some part in what happened, but I'd also say it's quite reasonable to think they'll try to rectify any shortcomings for next year too.

Managing a festival is always going to be led by experience to some extent, and any festival can get it wrong. Just think what happened with the traffic at Glastonbury last year (which I predicted would happen as soon as they announced it, too, so there wasn't much excuse for it, it was easy to see what would happen).

Just like an area which has just had a riot is a good place to buy a house (cos that area is about to get huge money thrown at it), a festival which has just fucked up is probably a good festival to go to the next year - because they are likely to be trying particularly hard to not fuck up.

I'm impressed with the refund % and how they're doing it*, and I think that shows good intent going forwards. I'd trust it.

Maybe, but they had similar problems at Truck the week before.

But lets wait and see!

The Hope and Glory festival in Liverpool sounds even worse.

39 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Maybe, but they had similar problems at Truck the week before.

But lets wait and see!

The Hope and Glory festival in Liverpool sounds even worse.

I was at Kendal Calling this year and really enjoyed it. It did stand out a mile about the lack of security there. Luckily it appears most people were in good spirits and we didn't have bad groups like Y Not had. Hopefully Kendal Calling prepares ahead for next year and not get caught short.

Reading the comments I do think people expect too much and jump on the bandwagon when there's issues. 

The amount of people that expect to fall out their car and land on the campsite, the arena to be a stone's throw away from their tent, everything to be silent in the campsite and the grass to be like a bowling green is getting stronger. Too many people turning up are just a bit too delicate to be going. 

The Hope and Glory Festival appears to be one complete and utter mess. I'm seeing a lot of comments of duplicate tickets, people being given wristbands they weren't entitled to and people sneaking in. It sounded dangerously overcrowded. 

Edited by Peanutsinger

On 05/08/2017 at 10:35 AM, eFestivals said:

No Neil. 

There is ABSOLUTELY no excuse to provide too few security or (well) briefed stewards, to take no precautions to deal with the shitty weather everyone else seemed to be aware of in advance or  to provide adequate water points. To name just a few things. 

(I wasn't there,  I went years ago and really didn't like it as a festival,  so I am obviously going by what I have read on social media.)

On 8/5/2017 at 10:35 AM, eFestivals said:

Good point, this is why I've decided to give Bestival another crack this year. Rob Da Bank needs to pull something special out of the bank there.

On 05/08/2017 at 10:35 AM, eFestivals said:

I hope that's true about festival number 6 too - sounds like they messed that up last year, then add to it what's happened at their last two festivals then they need that one to be as issue free as possible.