Y Not Festival 2017

Wagon

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/30/2017 at 4:39 PM, TheDHolford said:

Maybe it's time ynot just went back to a small festival, or not bother doing one at all. 

This. 

And perhaps returning to a family based festival wouldn't be a bad idea either.  I have nothing against teens etc been there but when they are bringing so many drugs on site, drinking and robbing tents (not all I admit) it is never going to end well.  

Also, although our group had a good time - 'VIP' was a joke. We could just have camped in a field for a few quid each and had a better experience festival wise with bands dropping out etc. VIP - 'Spacious Camping' - not even close.  We left Thursday evening for a wedding to return Friday evening and the main access road had been covered in tents and there was nowhere left for anyone Friday AM.  Thankfully emergency services weren't required in the middle.

When we arrived in the VIP area on Thursday afternoon they had forgotten to unlock the toilets there so we had to ask them to do that.  Alarm bells should have rang then.

Back stage VIP area on Saturday was a joke - people just walking in past a couple of security guys who could not do anything to stop people going in.

People with general camping wristbands ended up just stopping in the VIP area as no wristband checks and they weren't going to walk the vast distance from drop off to RnR camping etc.

The festival was not prepared and the organisation of all aspects terrible. After 5 years of this great festival that's it for us unless they return to their roots a little.

A real shame as this was a great festival and catered for something that other festival's don't do.  It wasn't about getting the big acts in - it was about the smaller guys, the food, the drink and the atmosphere.  All of that long gone (and it wasn't far gone last year).

The weather this year was just the icing on the cake and for Global clearly a great excuse for making this once great festival a shower of shite.

Edited by metalgearcol

It's going to be interesting to see what the insurance company says the festival. Surely the agreement is that the festival is covered so long as the basic conditions are met for health and safety etc... As far as I could see, those standards were not met which may void the insurance or at least reduce the refunds for customers.

Even a children/family entertainment company who were at Truck festival were so worried about the seemingly worse preparation at YNOT that they pulled out from turning up at all!

A friend from the group I was with helped a guy out of a diabetic coma on Saturday. The paramedics took over 30 mins to arrive and if it wasn't for the fact my friend is diabetic himself and noticed the symptoms, he could have been in real trouble.

The basic requirements for festival were lacking by a mile; lack of security, poor lighting, poor signage (I saw none for drinking water), rubbish communication, lack of stewarding help in the car parks.. I could go on.

If it wasn't for the fact I was with an amazing bunch, I would have had an awful weekend. We tried our best to get the most out of it.

Ive been going to ynot for eight years,  always had a great time.  This year echoing what others have said the security was amazingly poor but also basics like no bins anywhere and one water tap, with no sign,  right next to the urinal. Some people are saying people are moaning on here but it wasn't the mud and rain it was the complete lack of ability to cope with it by the organisers.  I had friends at kendal calling and womad and they didn't cancel.  Bands were cancelled Friday and all fucked up times on Saturday.  We heard it was cancelled late morning as no security coming to say,  some people had already started drinking and therefore couldn't drive. A group of young lads next to us were going back on the ynot coach and we're stuck until Monday morning with nothing to do.  I was at Glastonbury in 1997 as a steward and hydro connect in 2008, much much worse mud and no cancellations.  Ynot?....  Let us list the ways why not!! 

18 hours ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

it's a bit crazy really hearing all these stories and how bad people's weekends were. We arrived Thursday about 3, got a lovely spot in Whole Lotta Camping and had space, including grass! all weekend, and a nice group around us with no issues at all. I feel so bad for everyone elsewhere, as to us it was just a normal festival apart from the issues with the bands. We were at Glasto 2016 and were actually just comparing how much easier it is to walk around the whole time in comparison to there because it's smaller. I think because we only had to spend time in a certain corner of the campsites with an arena entrance near us we completely missed the mess elsewhere. 

I enjoyed Stereophonics, Frank Turner, Cast and JAWS and just having a good time with friends. It's a big shame it was so awful for everyone else

Just to say to a comment I saw earlier that I think the kids getting pissed up / drugged up is no different to last year or any other festival really, it comes with the territory, and it won't have been them robbing tents but organised gangs. 

Just to also say it was clear from Saturday that any more rain and we'd be cancelled, when they changed the main stage times, an admission they couldn't get bands on stage if it rained. Which is shambolic, as every other festival manages it. I believe there was a huge downpour during Cast on Friday as I noticed the mud had doubled when I came out of there, and that could sort of excuse the vaccines cancellation if that was in isolation but it was clear from earlier in the day there wasn't a chance a band was playing if it was raining again. 

I can see why it was cancelled now from what people were saying. Though as it was such a big company running it this year, I wouldn't expect much in the way of refunds. Big corporates just don't care as their shareholders are way more important, it's just the way of the world (that we allow to happen)

Edited by efcfanwirral

To me, this whole situation could have been avoided with better mud management, as has been said, it makes you appreciate how well they did at Glastonbury 2016. I know that the stewarding company my friends worked for had trouble with staff not turning up, and someone else I met who had been installing the fencing pre-festival was intending to legally challenge the festival organisers.

I imagine "refunds" will come in the form of half price tickets with proof of purchase from this year. However, I don't know if that will be enough to save this festival. Lots of small-mid size ones go to the wall, and I can see this management group sacrificing this one to save the others.

On the plus side, managed to haul around 200 cans that were abandoned from the campsite on Sunday, and bagged myself a 6 man tent!

Regarding fire lanes, I've had a look around what's in the public domain, and the temporary event licence states that an Event Management Plan must be adhered to. 

http://i.imgur.com/zhT6qqj.png

The Event Management Plan for 17 isn't online as far as I can tell, but the 2016 plan, section 23, states that fire lanes need to be kept clear at all times.

http://www.derbyshiredales.gov.uk/images/documents/Y/Y-Not_event_safety_management_plan_2016.pdf

I am still absolutely gutted about all of this. Y Not was our compensation for missing out on Glastonbury tickets and for it to fall on its arse in this way was shocking. Our car home Sunday afternoon was basically silence for 5 hours, I think the Sunday lineup was the best for all of us and the feeling of driving home whilst we should have losing our shit in a field to some of our favourite bands is one I would not wish on anyone on here. It's just utterly rubbish. 

For what its worth, we had decent days on Friday and Saturday and coped with the weather/mud just fine. I've been at Glasto's/Reading's where the weather has been far worse with no issues. We enjoyed the music we saw but Sunday has just left a sour taste now. I hate to say it but maybe I'll just stick to the bigger ones now - it may be more corporate and expensive, but at least you'll see the bands you want to see which is what its all about for me. I'm used to getting home gutted that it's all over, but this is a new one - just empty about the whole thing. 

People are banging on about refunds but to be honest I couldn't care less. £40 won't compensate for what should have been a highlight of the year

8 hours ago, rfc_478 said:

I am still absolutely gutted about all of this. Y Not was our compensation for missing out on Glastonbury tickets and for it to fall on its arse in this way was shocking. Our car home Sunday afternoon was basically silence for 5 hours, I think the Sunday lineup was the best for all of us and the feeling of driving home whilst we should have losing our shit in a field to some of our favourite bands is one I would not wish on anyone on here. It's just utterly rubbish. 

For what its worth, we had decent days on Friday and Saturday and coped with the weather/mud just fine. I've been at Glasto's/Reading's where the weather has been far worse with no issues. We enjoyed the music we saw but Sunday has just left a sour taste now. I hate to say it but maybe I'll just stick to the bigger ones now - it may be more corporate and expensive, but at least you'll see the bands you want to see which is what its all about for me. I'm used to getting home gutted that it's all over, but this is a new one - just empty about the whole thing. 

People are banging on about refunds but to be honest I couldn't care less. £40 won't compensate for what should have been a highlight of the year

Sounds truly shit. Really feel for anyone who experienced this shithouse of a festival this year.

Personally I'd be getting right back on the horse and booking up another festival straight away. Still plenty of good ones left this summer if it's doable.

1 hour ago, Wagon said:

Anyone else find it strange that you can't book tickets for 2018 (even though I won't be) despite them saying they went on sale Monday

Just a PR move I imagine, the amount of stick they'd get for doing that before refunds have been dealt with would just make it worse for them 

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 hours ago, Wagon said:

Anyone else find it strange that you can't book tickets for 2018 (even though I won't be) despite them saying they went on sale Monday

Apparently the back page of the programme said Monday August 1st 2017. Which just kind of shows how organised they were when that date doesn't even exist!

5 minutes ago, generationgav said:

Apparently the back page of the programme said Monday August 1st 2017. Which just kind of shows how organised they were when that date doesn't even exist!

Yeah it did haha,

Pretty much every single thing was a shambles

2 hours ago, generationgav said:

Try Bearded Theory or Kendal Calling next year, there ARE smaller well organised great festivals!

Kendal is under the same ownership &/or control as Y-Not, and there's comments being made about similar things seem to have happened as with the other festivals those peeps now have a stake in. :( 

edit: not correct, see my next post a few posts down.

Edited by eFestivals

I was really sad to hear about how Y-Not has changed in the few years since I've been. Back when myself and Kerplunk went it was a highlight of our festival season and I recommended it to many..

Does seem like there's a pattern emerging here with the Global group of festivals. It'd make me cautious if I had a ticket for Festival No. 6 this year.. 

Having recently returned from Nozstock, I really can't speak highly enough of that one.. Beat-Herder is pretty faultless as well..

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Kendal is under the same ownership &/or control as Y-Not, and there's comments being made about similar things seem to have happened as with the other festivals those peeps now have a stake in. :(

I thought that Kendal parted company with them after last year's festival, could be wrong though but I'm sure I heard it somewhere

44 minutes ago, ramragon said:

I thought that Kendal parted company with them after last year's festival, could be wrong though but I'm sure I heard it somewhere

well, I've just found a bit more info, and I was wrong.

Kendal is part-owned by Global, but still run by the people who've always run it in the same way they've always run it. 

That's a different set-up to the likes of Y-Not which is 100% Global owned, and the guy who used to own it is no longer involved with it.

6 minutes ago, BeddingatReading said:

http://www.derbyshiredales.gov.uk/your-council/news-and-publications/latest-news/2544-y-not-festival

in case anyone had missed it, the local council confirmed the festival didn't have their license revoked. 

That's baffling then as to why it was cancelled. Sunday would have been no worse than Friday.

Seriously can't see the point in bashing Global ! 

They bought into broadwick leaving the people there to continue to run it ! I think Global could be pretty miffed with the negative publicity they getting at the moment big investment and not likely to see much return on Y not for a long time . Global own publishing rights on bands like the vaccines and that's why you get quality headline acts because of deals with the Global brand . You can't stop the weather but you can be prepared! 

https://www.iq-mag.net/2016/10/global-bulks-festival-business-new-buys/#.WYI3B4XTWaM