Y Not Festival 2017

Wagon

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to see the festival being cancelled. I was considering coming but ended up coming to Kendal Calling instead. 

It's very muddy here too, but we've not had to cancel. I've never been to a festival that doesn't churn up badly after heavy and prolonged rain. Is it really down to poor planning, or simply heavy rain and 25,000 people doesn't mix? 

What is the rules on refunds? I read that they'll make an announcement in a few days. That doesn't read as if they are going to be forward in giving money back. I know that if football games make half time you're not entitled to a refund.

Edited by Peanutsinger

Such a shambles, weather was bad but the lack of organisation was embarrassing. My wristband wasn't checked once the whole weekend, the lack of security was shocking. The only person i saw helping people out the car park was a local farmer. 

Set times being moved constantly with no communication. Very frustrating at was once a great festival, it will take a lot to come back from this. Even simple stuff like lanyards having typos and wrong set times for a stage. 

Weather wasnt the issue, lack of preparation by Y not organisers was. 

Well, hope everyone got home safe and sound and tried to enjoy some of what was actually on...

Lack of security, no checks anywhere, the main stage not being prepared for the rain at all, half the acts not turning up or being cancelled, the tents being way way over capacity at almost every set, thefts occurring everywhere, and just a general lack of communication to us (Saturday all the main stage times changed with no warning, then today we got told about the event being cancelled at 12)...

Absolute nightmare getting back to Sheffield. Seems to be they oversold tickets, had such lack of preparation for anything. I've been to Leeds festival numerous years and they've had everything prepared. Maybe it's time ynot just went back to a small festival, or not bother doing one at all. 

Horribly organised festival, no attempt to get over fridays weather wa shade at all.

I got lucky in the sense that I saw most of the bands I aimed to on Friday (in the giant squid) and yesterday. Gutted about today, having to fork out money to get home to Glasgow a day early wasn't ideal when I was more than happy to make the most of the last day. Oh well- where else is good for next year?

5 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Check out Bluedot. Music is a bit different mind. 

I second Blue Dot, had a wonderful weekend there. Much more centred on the science and exhibitions than the music throughout the daytime though so not as music music on offer.

8 hours ago, Peanutsinger said:

What is the rules on refunds? I read that they'll make an announcement in a few days. That doesn't read as if they are going to be forward in giving money back. I know that if football games make half time you're not entitled to a refund.

Some info on refunds here https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/event-tickets/event-tickets/if-the-organisers-cancel-the-event/

not quite sure how it will work with it being half an event rather than the cancellation of the whole thing. 

If they offer something like money off next years tickets a lot of people are gonna be really pissed, I know I won't be going back next year. 

I'm so pee'd that's two weekends in a row my music fun has been ruined by incompetence! I'm no stranger to rainy festivals, and went well prepared with my wellies, waterproof trousers, poncho etc. The lack of stewards and security was odd  - the staff we did find were unfortunately ill informed, and I don't mean they were stupid I mean they just hadn't been given any information. There were brief wristband checks but they were so lacklustre anyone could have gone through  without one if they tried. Only upside meant no bag checks (well, I say upside but not very secure is it!) so we didn't have to spend a fortune on drinks - there was no draft cider in the main bars so 440ml cans of orchard pig were £4.50 (what's that, about £5.80 a pint?) and dark fruits strongbow on draft £5.50 as per Truck. 

Friend was in quite camping, right next to family, neither of which were family or quiet thanks to no-one checking and stopping the yoof element going in. We were in the van field which was quiet but stupidly located right at the top of the hill (always good to make heavy vehicles go up and cross the stream of punters going across to the festival). We ended up walking up and down the lane but as there was constant vehicle traffic it wasn't great, but was better than the option of facing the death slide hill through the camping.

Toilet facilities were poor in all camping fields, not emptied (assuming because trucks couldn't get access). And in the arena whose bright idea was it to put the urinals at the back of the toilets so everyone had to go the same way? The space was so small I took two people out with the toilet door on the Friday (I learned a more gentle opening speed after that). 

Hardly any hay or chippings going down so the pinch point areas at gates and between arenas and no tracks to get vehicles out. We had a couple of tractors in the van field this morning - I know they will have been paid by the festival but I still gave the girls a tip and some gob-arse with a radio and ear piece accused them of charging for towing! I told him bluntly that I was so happy to see someone with competence and a smile I felt I should have actually given them a bigger tip. 

I've never seen a festival main stage so poorly equipped to cope with 'weather'. Truck was poor but this was a whole new level of useless. The marquees that were up on mainstage Friday were embarrassing, no wonder the Vaccines didn't go on! We left after NBT to go back to the vans and party as the rain wasn't letting up, so we also missed the Clean Bandit tribute act (as I've seen them referred to). Was pleased they managed to get Stereophonics on, we actually had a great day yesterday, spent some time in the Saloon and then found a patch of grass (rare!) in the area and stayed there all day. 

I was actually quite ready to get out and make the most of today given the forecast wasn't too bad and we'd already done 2 days of trudging through mud but clearly someone somewhere had decided enough was enough. Wonder if we'll get the refund info in the next few days or if it drags out. It's owned by a huge mediacorp, they can easily afford to refund. 

I can't see Ynot back next year, reckon they'll do something new instead to try and get away from the bad rep. 

19 hours ago, Peanutsinger said:

Not sure how true this is but I heard that they were advised to cancel the whole festival on Saturday but didn't because if they cancel it before the half way point you're entitled to a full refund. With the increasingly dangerous conditions I think the police forced them to close it down yesterday. 

10 hours ago, Dan R said:

I second Blue Dot, had a wonderful weekend there. Much more centred on the science and exhibitions than the music throughout the daytime though so not as music music on offer.

I third Bluedot. Did Y Not a few years ago and Bluedot this year. Whilst Y Not wasn't that bad when I went Bluedot was exceptional. Quite middle class mind. There  wasn't a huge amount of 'big name' bands but the rest of the acts were well chosen and by and large quality.

If you fancy a less family friendly but still punter friendly festival '2000Trees' is one of the best smaller ones I've been to. Brilliant weekend.  

57 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Admittedly I've only seen photos but I'd be interested if any regulars could back up my thought that the site conditions look no worse than the sole year I went, 2012.

(Also worth noting that, while far smaller in scale and partly concreted due to its location, Indietracks ten miles away was completed as normal yesterday)

Been going to festivals for 30 years now and can honestly say that I've seen much worse conditions at others, Can't understand why the plug was pulled on this one. Yes, it was muddy, but if you were prepared for it, the mud was no problem.

Seems like the type of people complaining are the ones that expect to have their arses wiped for them all weekend because they have forked out an extra £20 for a VIP ticket. The chaos added to the fun for me. No complaints whatsoever from me, other than missing the Sunday acts

21 minutes ago, wirralchris said:

Been going to festivals for 30 years now and can honestly say that I've seen much worse conditions at others, Can't understand why the plug was pulled on this one. Yes, it was muddy, but if you were prepared for it, the mud was no problem.

Seems like the type of people complaining are the ones that expect to have their arses wiped for them all weekend because they have forked out an extra £20 for a VIP ticket. The chaos added to the fun for me. No complaints whatsoever from me, other than missing the Sunday acts

I'm with you - not that bad at all. Biggest issue is clearly the fact they couldn't get bands on the main stage when it rained, as they admitted by moving forward the times on Saturday based on the weather forecasts. 

Thats the bit id be interested to know about, how come every other festival manages to put bands on outdoor stages in the rain and this one didn't? 

2 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Admittedly I've only seen photos but I'd be interested if any regulars could back up my thought that the site conditions look no worse than the sole year I went, 2012.

No, it should  not have been as bad as 2012.  But in 2012, I recall waking up the morning after the rain to a sea of golden straw/hay being scattered everywhere, which soon started to coagulate the mud as we walked over it.

My 2p's worth...

From the get-go it was clear they had changed things - mostly for the worse as far as I was concerned.  The selection of real ales in the (it seemed smaller) Watchtower bar had dwindled from many to just one.  No tables or bales to sit on (not that we would have been able to use them much, but still).  Equally the hog and barrel had no bales to sit on.  No signs to tell folks which tent was which - would have been really confusing if you were a first timer.  Many of the stage/bar tent spikes and all the clamps on the festooning and scaff in the public areas had not been foam covered - a real H&S issue in my eyes.  The plus - the increase in the size of the Quarry stage

I am in 2 minds about the family camping situation.  I think theoretically it was a good idea to place it where it was, "beyond the wall".  Also for families, being effectively straight from the car park was a great plus so you didn't have to walk too far.  But this then meant that due to the lack of security/segregated wristbands, there was clearly a massive temptation for anyone who couldn't be arsed to pitch in the area. We ended up with a bunch of lads shouting loudly until 4 in the morning on Thursday.  There are many, many other camp areas where that sort of behaviour is tolerated, if not applauded - but not in a field with small kids.  Fortunately neither myself or any of the people I was with suffered from theft, but stories abounded.  The other negative for the families was having to take their kids through the flavela every time they went to the arena.  I can imagine that might have led to some interesting conversations!  I also heard there was no real entertainment for the kids laid on, but can't comment from personal experience. I'm not sure there is a prefect answer...  has anyone experienced what they thought was the "perfect" family area?

The number of stewards/security was clearly insufficient.  I imagine this is another cost cutting exercise as I have nothing but love for Vespasian - they have been super for me on several occasions in the past, and I am very happy to see their jackets.  The ones we spoke to seemed to think they were being asked to do the wrong things. One guy we were talking to said a large number of them were still being required to be on entry duties on Saturday, when it was clear there was but a dribble of late-entries.  At that point several of them had taken it on themselves to start walking round the campsite.  Good on them - but it sounds like another management decision gone wrong.  I only saw one 'official' steward as we tried to exit the parking area - it seemed to be the local farmers who were doing all the work (not sure if they had been employed or were doing it voluntarily - kudos if the latter)

And of course, as has been said here and elsewhere, forward planning in acquiring and using straw/hay early would have avoided - or at least ameliorated  mudgate.  I really can see how difficult it would have been for emergency services to access the site, and so understand given where they were, they had to cancel.  This has to be the number one priority.

I await my email regarding refunds with interest.  I am going to keep some faith and hope that they have/can claim insurance, and pay us all back 100%.  Still, my last ynot after 6 years.  Not because of the weather, but the issues raised in my first paragraph.

2000trees all the way now!

4 hours ago, Martinmjgh said:

No, it should  not have been as bad as 2012.  But in 2012, I recall waking up the morning after the rain to a sea of golden straw/hay being scattered everywhere, which soon started to coagulate the mud as we walked over it.

My 2p's worth...

From the get-go it was clear they had changed things - mostly for the worse as far as I was concerned.  The selection of real ales in the (it seemed smaller) Watchtower bar had dwindled from many to just one.  No tables or bales to sit on (not that we would have been able to use them much, but still).  Equally the hog and barrel had no bales to sit on.  No signs to tell folks which tent was which - would have been really confusing if you were a first timer.  Many of the stage/bar tent spikes and all the clamps on the festooning and scaff in the public areas had not been foam covered - a real H&S issue in my eyes.  The plus - the increase in the size of the Quarry stage

I am in 2 minds about the family camping situation.  I think theoretically it was a good idea to place it where it was, "beyond the wall".  Also for families, being effectively straight from the car park was a great plus so you didn't have to walk too far.  But this then meant that due to the lack of security/segregated wristbands, there was clearly a massive temptation for anyone who couldn't be arsed to pitch in the area. We ended up with a bunch of lads shouting loudly until 4 in the morning on Thursday.  There are many, many other camp areas where that sort of behaviour is tolerated, if not applauded - but not in a field with small kids.  Fortunately neither myself or any of the people I was with suffered from theft, but stories abounded.  The other negative for the families was having to take their kids through the flavela every time they went to the arena.  I can imagine that might have led to some interesting conversations!  I also heard there was no real entertainment for the kids laid on, but can't comment from personal experience. I'm not sure there is a prefect answer...  has anyone experienced what they thought was the "perfect" family area?

The number of stewards/security was clearly insufficient.  I imagine this is another cost cutting exercise as I have nothing but love for Vespasian - they have been super for me on several occasions in the past, and I am very happy to see their jackets.  The ones we spoke to seemed to think they were being asked to do the wrong things. One guy we were talking to said a large number of them were still being required to be on entry duties on Saturday, when it was clear there was but a dribble of late-entries.  At that point several of them had taken it on themselves to start walking round the campsite.  Good on them - but it sounds like another management decision gone wrong.  I only saw one 'official' steward as we tried to exit the parking area - it seemed to be the local farmers who were doing all the work (not sure if they had been employed or were doing it voluntarily - kudos if the latter)

And of course, as has been said here and elsewhere, forward planning in acquiring and using straw/hay early would have avoided - or at least ameliorated  mudgate.  I really can see how difficult it would have been for emergency services to access the site, and so understand given where they were, they had to cancel.  This has to be the number one priority.

I await my email regarding refunds with interest.  I am going to keep some faith and hope that they have/can claim insurance, and pay us all back 100%.  Still, my last ynot after 6 years.  Not because of the weather, but the issues raised in my first paragraph.

2000trees all the way now!

Why would they refund 100%? You had almost two thirds of the festival.

4 hours ago, wirralchris said:

Why would they refund 100%? You had almost two thirds of the festival.

Friday headliner cancelled.

Friday main sub did a DJ set instead.

Other acts didn't turn up/cancelled.

Saturday timings changed at short notice, meaning most people missed who they wanted to see.

Tents as a result too busy because of cancellations/short notice timings changes.

Sunday cancelled completely.

I don't think there will be a 100% refund but they are entitled to that for the shit show that the organisers put on. Just because they spent 2/3 of the festival in that field does not mean they were given what they paid for. Bad weather or not, all other festivals cope with rain. This one couldn't.