Parents' experiences with babies at the festival

Stu H

Found out the day before Glastonbury this year that I was going to be a Daddy. Yay, and all that jazz.

We absolutely want to do Glastonbury next summer when he/she will be 4 months old. My wife hasn't been, so it'd be great for her to see it, but fundamentally, we want our child to experience the things we love as early as possible. We've had the usual reaction "a baby? at a festival?!" - but I see plenty of new-borns and toddlers at the festival.

We're planning just to camp - does anyone have any experiences they can share about taking a baby there? Any advice?

I absolutely can't wait (tickets permitting of course!), what an awesome start to a young life - I've taken my Dad 3 times, now I can take my own child to my favourite place on the planet.

Tricky this one as it's your first. You might find you are incredibly relaxed parents with a very chilled baby who would be fine at a festival - plus the bf might be going well and so you arent worried about sterilising in a field etc etc.

Or you might find the whole baby thing very stressful indeed with a colicky baby that screams day and night etc etc.

You wont know sadly which camp you're in until way after t-day. I personally would find the logistics of G far too much with a small baby but other people absolutely love it. I would plan to go to a small festival next year and see how you go and then do G the year after. I'm sure other people will pile in though and tell you to go for it. 

Congratulations btw.

Ah congratulations! I agree with @giantkatestacks it could go either way! We took our daughter for the first time at 10 months which is quite a bit older than your little bundle will be and had a fab time, but we did see a couple of families with young babies who looked like they were struggling somewhat. I think it does really depend on how laid back you are. In terms of practicalities, the kidzfield has just about everything you could need - microwave, sterilisers, washing up bowls, baths, nappies, fridge etc. If you use a baby carrier or wrap you can get around the site just fine. We found Glastonbury with a 10 month year old and again when she was nearly 2 far easier than having a 4 year old at smaller festival this year as you can just move little ones around and let them sleep wherever! Good luck whatever you decide!

Took my then ten month old this year to the non music days,  then shipped to relatives in Shepton for the weekend. 

He loved it.  But then he is a ridiculously happy chappy who loves attention and strangers.  And crucially he was well at the time. 

We were in Pilton just  one week ago,  and he was ill (nothing serious)  and I think that would have made Glastonbury very hard work. 

So I'd plan to go,  but be prepared not to,  depending upon multiple factors. 

Edited by mooro

Not a parent but some of our group are so I can offer advice from a 'festival auntie' pov.

Firstly, get tickets but accept you will not know until closer to refund deadline in May whether you CAN actually attend or not.  A lot depends on how the birth goes, how the baby feeds and the baby's general temperament as to whether it will work. The youngest member of our tribe was only 3 months old when we attended in June.  Her parents had it pretty tough, particularly in the first couple of days.  They were first-time parents so were still learning how their baby works, never mind in a field when shin deep in mud.  I think they would agree that it could have been a nightmare if they didn't have other parents in the group who had done the festival with a baby before.  Between them all they had the resources to make it work.

I have no doubt it's perfectly possible to do it as a couple and enjoy it but what you ideally want is a small group.  We had 2 sets of parents, kids of 3 months, 7 months and 3 years and us 3 aunties to help out as and when.  That ratio worked pretty well.

Now whether it's down to leylines, good country air or mum and dad being in their happy place, I dunno but all 3 kids did seem to thrive on it.  Young'un was eating and sleeping better than at home, bigger baby was full of grins for the world at large pretty much the whole time - and toddler wanted to go back the second they got home.  He liked all the different kinds of mud. :)