2016 Map

rseamer

25 minutes ago, smogo said:

What would the point have been in keeping that massive Big Top, only for it to be half empty the whole time? By hiring smaller set-ups, it kept the atmosphere lively everywhere.

Agreed. I felt the smaller stages suited the crowd size, with the exception of the Main Stage which did feel too small when it got busy (and was a little too low).

11 hours ago, Circus-Freak said:

Its pretty common knowledge that bestival are one of the lowest act payers throughout all the uk major festivals. 

'It's pretty common knowledge' isn't actual evidence though is it? I'll keep an open mind on your statement.

11 hours ago, Circus-Freak said:

Me and my mates could've knocked up the space port (set, not sound) for less than £500. 

Really? Wow would love to have seen your quotation. Just your hourly rate for labour on its own would have been fascinating. And I'm sure you've factored in transport (including the cranes needed to put things in place) materials, health and safety etc etc

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was disappointing that things like Bollywood had less attention to detail: (umbrellas, seating, carpets on the floor were all missing). Also little things like the wristband being made of a cheap bit of plastic suggested other money issues...

Temple Island looked like it was definitely knocked together last minute, and The Spaceport whilst excellent sound-wise was very poor visually - to me it looked like they had intended to clad the rocket out with metal like they had on the old Port stage, but then they ran out of money.

Speaking to lots of staff on site and they all seemed to think that running 5 festivals simultaneously was the main issue for the cuts. Perhaps RDB needs to concentrate more on the big one? The overheads for Common People in So'ton/Oxford, and Bestival Toronto can't be cheap...

The wristband issue was because a batch of the proper cloth ones had been stolen just before the festival began. You could pick up a free cloth wristband from the merch stall on Sunday if you wanted.

(By the way, the old Port stage was made of wood, but was very cleverly painted to look like rusted metal.)

I'm just comparing this year to the last 12 I've been to rseamer, and trying to use a bit of sarcasm, don't get your knickers in a twist.

If you can't see that this year we were short changed (probably because they didn't sell enough tickets due to shite headliners, maybe) then you're truly blinkered cos robs 'your mate'.

Ive been wanting a down scaling, I loved the quirky, happy, friendly vibe of old, I loved how he seemed to impress year after year with imagination and wonderment, I've always talked about and been very obsessive with bestival, for years. 

But in my opinion, which very well could be wrong is, he or his management team, got the music all wrong this year, didn't sell enough tickets, and last minute had to make do with toilet paper and scaffold poles.

If you enjoyed it, I'm glad and happy for you. But don't tell me it didn't lose most of its magic this year, because it most certainly did.

I am a big believer that you make the the festival what you want it to be. I fear a lot of people got into the stages on the thursday/friday and because of the 'downsizing'/'money saving' they immediately starting seeing and trying to find more faults instead of letting it go and enjoying themselves fully.

I had the greatest bestival ive ever had, not becasue of the size of the stages, or the size of the audiences but because I was with my closest mates - some of whom I had not seen for half a year. And instead of moaning that we 'were being short changed' we used the quieter site to get around quicker and see more, instead of saying there wasnt much on the lineup we all found a few smaller acts in the lead up and introduced one another to some quality talent that we no doubt will look for again at future events.

Far too many moaners for what is still an absolutely brilliantly organised event.