Latitude Festival 2017

scatteredscreens

On 2017-4-3 at 11:27 AM, Tuna said:

I stayed there on the Saturday in 2015 - must have been about 20 tents. You're basically *in* the car park though... so maybe get there in good time. Feel free to ask any questions if you've got any, @PretentiousThinkpiece.

Is there a specific time you'd recommend on arriving to get a spot? Really don't want to drive back the same night!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, mufan118 said:

Is there a specific time you'd recommend on arriving to get a spot? Really don't want to drive back the same night!

I got there at about midday and was one of the first - weren't many anyway, wouldn't have a problem pitching up at any time I don't think. 

Edited by Tuna

On 2017-6-27 at 11:34 PM, mufan118 said:

Last year there was lots of room all weekend in the camping area closest to the car park, behind the caravan and trailer area.

16 minutes ago, retromoz said:

just a heads up, coz i reckon it wont be common knowledge (i only knew about it yesterday...). Gas camping stoves are NOT allowed this year. Which is a bit of a pisser....

That's a bugger.  Can you tell us where that info came from please?  I can't see it on the Latitude website.  What am I going to do about breakfast and my instant coffee?!??!?

1 hour ago, ianlash said:

That's a bugger.  Can you tell us where that info came from please?  I can't see it on the Latitude website.  What am I going to do about breakfast and my instant coffee?!??!?

i know right? I need fried eggs & tea!

As for where the info came from.....well.....there is a list of what stoves ARE allowed is here :

http://www.latitudefestival.com/information/essentials

(at the bottom of the 'things you can and can't bring' list..). When it doesnt state Gas stoves, someone on a different forum emailed to asked. the answer was Gas stoves are not permitted. :(

some peeps are getting them now. Some years it hasn't been until a couple of days before. One year, when See Tickets had some sort of malfunction, you had to collect them from the box office.

so....you role your dice & take yr chances....

6 hours ago, retromoz said:

some peeps are getting them now. Some years it hasn't been until a couple of days before. One year, when See Tickets had some sort of malfunction, you had to collect them from the box office.

so....you role your dice & take yr chances....

Cheers, still a few weeks before I start worrying.

So, now the dust (if not the sense of loss and grief) is settling post-Glastonbury, thoughts turn obsessively to my first Latitude for quite a long time, also to be Child 3's first festival.

And, though I agree essentially with most who see the line-up as a bit crappy, my OCD-based examination of the undercard has uncovered lots of little gems. After the full-on, 24/7 pinball-like activity that is my Glastonbury (back to back bands in the day, back to back DJs at night for, usually, 21-22 hours a day...), I'm really excited about seeing loads of smaller acts that I'd never even heard of before recently starting my Latitude homework .

One question: Jack Garratt - given his billing as 'special late night performance', are we thinking he's playing twice, or or we thinking that we don't yet have our traditional-slot BBC tent headliner for Saturday night? I really hope it's the latter as otherwise I'm gonna have to get a bit creative around Saturday headliner time!

Less than two weeks now and I am using Latitude very effectively to assuage the post-GF blues!!

:)

Ben

21 hours ago, J Mansfield said:

hola, i've never been before - i ordered tickets about 4 weeks ago - when do they start sending them out ?

I haven't had mine yet and ordered them a good while ago. The website says (and always has, IIRC) that it may take until as late as 5 days before the event to get them. I realise that this is standard industry language, but I'm just going to set an alert for next Thursday (5 'working days before the festival) and then hammer them with phone calls/online chat asking where my ****ing tickets are!!

:D

Ben

13 minutes ago, naughtygeorgie said:

This Ben is exactly what Latitude is for :) perfect post Glasto fun filled festival.

Never done both in the same year, georgie, so very excited, especially as Child 3 will have such a good time. And Child 1 had a brilliant first Glastonbury too (not with me, I might add!).

How was yours?

Mine was, erm,...busy!

Ben

Just now, naughtygeorgie said:

Glasto was, as ever, fabulous, probably nowhere near as busy as yours, your reputation for squeezing as much in as possible is legendary!  We managed maybe half of our must sees added a few that we stumbled up, bumped into a few efesters, it was perfect, not long enough though I think a 10 day festival would be just right :D

The joy of Latitude being so close after really does take away those blues, my OH seems to be more excited than he was before Glasto.  The size is such a pleasure too, we stay in CV West so our trek in adds a lot of daily walking so a little bimble to the arenas at Latitude is like a lazy afternoon stroll.

It really is a lovely festival, so much to see, art installations in the trees, pink sheep, I hope child 3 has a wonderful 1st festival.

Enjoy :danced:

Oh he will! I took Child 1 there for his first a few years ago and he's now a fully indoctrinated member of the Church!

This will be my fourth Latitude and, just today, the excitement levels have really started to go sky-high - probably directly associated with my starting to feel human again post-Glastonbury - all-nighters on Fri/Sat/Sun do come with a price!

Yes, the distances are the thing that really makes it lovely - BBC to Sunrise (I'm SOOOO glad it's regained its proper name...) is not Park-JPT-Park for three successive sets! Especially not in last year's mud!!!

As I said, the more manageable line-up size makes it easier to discover even more little previously unknown hidden gems than at Glastonbury, where sheer scale of the line-up hides so much from you. Norwegian soundscapers Klangstof, anyone?!

It's gonna be GREAT!!

Hope to meet up with you, maybe!

Ben

Hi All,

1st-time poster and 1st Latitude coming up. Just wondering, we are only able to arrive at about 7:30 pm on Friday. We have caravan ticket and family camping tickets. Apart from obvious traffic getting onto the site, do you think we will have issues finding a pitch arriving so late?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, phil1973 said:

Hi All,

1st-time poster and 1st Latitude coming up. Just wondering, we are only able to arrive at about 7:30 pm on Friday. We have caravan ticket and family camping tickets. Apart from obvious traffic getting onto the site, do you think we will have issues finding a pitch arriving so late?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, phil

Unfortunately, I'm not yer man, not having been to Latitude for a few years, and never having stayed in a caravan, nor arrived on the Friday. Helpful, eh?!

However, no doubt some lovely soul will provide expert guidance toot sweet!

Have a great festival - it's a lot of fun.

Ben

Thanks for the reassurance. We also have to leave on Sunday evening (already kept the kids out of school for a couple of days over half term to ensure a cheap holiday so can't do it again) So good to know that we will get out without too much hassle.

Really looking forward to this one. Kids first festival apart from Forgotten Fields a couple of years ago.

On 29/06/2017 at 11:02 AM, retromoz said:

i know right? I need fried eggs & tea!

As for where the info came from.....well.....there is a list of what stoves ARE allowed is here :

http://www.latitudefestival.com/information/essentials

(at the bottom of the 'things you can and can't bring' list..). When it doesnt state Gas stoves, someone on a different forum emailed to asked. the answer was Gas stoves are not permitted. :(

UPDATE!!! Apparently you are now ALLOWED gas stoves in the campsite. As long as yr gas bottle is less that 2.7kg, yr fine.

Which is a relief. But......fuck me, what a disorganised bunch Festival Republic can be sometimes......

1 minute ago, naughtygeorgie said:

Oooo 3 no sleep nights, well done you! I slept every night :) the joy of having your own van with a very comfortable bed...that and the fact ra*n stopped play Fri eve, when I was truly twatted, OH had left his jacket in the van and we were headed to Blues for Mylo when the drizzle started.  He had pneumonia a few years ago so we have to keep the damp off his chest and dancing in the ra*n though pleasurable for me may very well have put him back in hospital so to the van we went... and twatted I stayed until the sun came up :D

Just googled Klangstof...they're based in Amsterdam so they get my vote :)

We've a couple of must sees, Goldfrapp, Mumford and Fatboy - I love a bit of a Fatboy dance, probably a bit too generic for your techno tastes but he always does fun set.

We may well meet, I'll leave it in the hands of the festival God's, they do a pretty good job of making sure people bump into each other!  I'll be in glitter from the off, there will be sequins and definitely a cape :)

Consider your festival get-up leisurely looked-out for!

If Latitude is anything like Glastonbury this year (at which I would suggest we reached peak glitter!) then that's no help at all. But a cape? Now...

:D

And 3D followed by Simian Mobile Disco on Friday night might be just the thing for my missing the mega-sets at GF - Jon Hopkins on the Spider was the best DJ (cf. live) techno set I have ever seen :o

Ben

Yes, yes yes! I'd forgotten all about Simian. - saw them years ago at Global purely by accident waiting for Booka Shade, both excellent but when Booka Shade played M.A.N.D.Y live, well there are no words to describe that!

I have 2 capes - capes are ace :)

1st I made for Bestival last year - a metallic purple number with large shoulder pads. 2nd I bought up at a random stall in West Holts last week - a glorious deep blue sequined hooded affair with a gold lamé lining :)

Now if I see a doctor in shorts & a t-shirt techno raving it's you yes?  

erm...

Well yes, though the medical association is not advertised!

Shorts - check
Stripy techno socks - check! (worn at full mast in the evenings!)
Red-brown beard and thin-rimmed glasses - check
Raving like a loon - defo check
Friday t-shirt - black 'hugs and/or drugs' with kranky records logo on nape of neck
Other t-shirts - Forest Swords, A Victory For The Sullen, Hammock (American instrumental band!)

B)

Ben
x

4 minutes ago, naughtygeorgie said:

I thought all doctors had a little light up sign above their head clearly stating they were doctors :D

I'll be on the lookout Fri for hugs & drugs :)

Both available

btw - I'm not stalking replies here, I've just got the window open as I do some officey work today, and it pings when there's a thread reply!

I'm listening to BEAK>> (second record) as I work - I've got a brilliant triple Sunrise run to finish off the Friday day schedule, with BEAK as my headliner! SO excited, as that then leads into the best night-time for me.

Have you listened to HVOB? Although I think Winston Marshall is a bit of a tit, HVOB are nicely low-key techy and could be really good at the Sunrise...

Just slightly frustrated with the (entirely as per usual, I acknowledge) Latitude model of no confirmed times 'til you buy your £10 (I presume still? £12? £15??!!) book - it gets in the way of my OCD scheduling!!

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

Excellent, we've always said the medical profession have the best ;)

No worries I'm refusing to get out of bed today so I'm trawling efests, it's a bit sad over on the Glasto pages - lots of assault talk and security assholes - much happier over here :)

Just googled HVOB and I like, pretty chilled - currently adding to our line up, thank you.

Not sure if the app updated with times last year before we got there, it was definitely updating constantly during the festival which annoyed the crap out of me, constant pocket beeping & bleeding my data dry!.  I refuse to buy a programme, so expensive for really nothing but set times.

I've posted only 2-3 times over on Glastonbury pages since coming back - I always get an overwhelming feeling of needing to distance myself - slightly irrational, really, but I often don't assimilate all of the information of what happened, for a week or two! Given how incredible the dance stuff was, and how bloody lovely our little thread is, I had to do my dance report, but other than that have been almost absent, even from reading stuff. Have to say that I am incredibly grateful for being able to redirect my attention here!

We will buy the guide as it'll be a nice memento for Child 3, and so I'll have access to the full info. Never been to Latitude in the app-period, so will be very interested to see the times come in. Am I correct in thinking that there's still quite a few bits and bobs to be filled in? For instance, the Sunrise after hours line-up isn't complete on the app.

Also (I asked earlier but this place is so quiet cf. the monster that is Glastonbury eFests!) - is the Jack Garratt late night set his 'proper' set - i.e. is there still the Saturday BBC headliner to be revealed? Hope so, as Mumford ain't for me. Maybe in 2009 when I saw them open the main stage at EOTR...but not now ;)

Ben

1 hour ago, phil1973 said:

Hi. Another newbie question. I know that you can't take your own booze into the arena, but am I ok dragging a cooler box full of beer (in a festival trolley) around all the other areas or is it limited to the camping areas? Thanks again

Phil - the thing is, ALL the 'stuff' is through the gate and IN the arena. Outside of that, other than a few food and drink bits and bobs in the 'Village' just outside the main entrance into the arena, there is only the campsite. So, there's not really anywhere else to carry your coolbox TO! Look at the map (last year's is around online) and you'll see the set up and get a better idea. Essentially - your booze at tent/camp, their booze inside the 'festival' itself (though there are 'ways' that people circumvent this model - principally with spirits, I'd suggest...). 

Ben