Latitude Festival 2017

scatteredscreens

9 hours ago, fluff164 said:

As in not the Chelsea tractor and hunter welly brigade!

I see.

Well I've never owned a pair of hunter wellies and don't even know what a 'Chelsea tractor' is so that makes me one of the 'genuine festival folk' then? 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the line-up was announced, I was relieved that The xx weren't headlining, but last night I reluctantly went to see them with a friend and I was quite stunned by it. Considering their records are pretty glum, they had the crowd dancing all night. Jamie xx now completely runs the show and the stage design was absolutely amazing. They converted me into a fan, I'm hoping they headline next year now! Cue the hate mail...

The headliners might be square and the 6music headliners (as they stand) don't offer an interesting alternative but aside from that I don't see the lineup as any different to other years. Sunday looks really good on the Sunrise Arena and up until Fleet Foxes on the Obelisk. Obviously headliners are what people pay for but if yer already invested in it somewhat then you'll do well to check out the other acts on the bill.

4 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

When the line-up was announced, I was relieved that The xx weren't headlining, but last night I reluctantly went to see them with a friend and I was quite stunned by it. Considering their records are pretty glum, they had the crowd dancing all night. Jamie xx now completely runs the show and the stage design was absolutely amazing. They converted me into a fan, I'm hoping they headline next year now! Cue the hate mail...

Hate mail? They're pretty well liked I thought? Not sure they'll still be touring next summer but maybe. 

Can really see Arcade Fire headlining next year, now the headliners are a little bigger and there's practically nowhere else for them to headline. Chvrches, Arcade Fire and another - LCD might be cool but them and Arcade Fire would be dreamland stiff.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Hate mail? They're pretty well liked I thought? Not sure they'll still be touring next summer but maybe. 

Can really see Arcade Fire headlining next year, now the headliners are a little bigger and there's practically nowhere else for them to headline. Chvrches, Arcade Fire and another - LCD might be cool but them and Arcade Fire would be dreamland stiff.

I agree on Chvrches, wasn't thinking of Arcade Fire but can definitely see that happening now you mention it. I was thinking Ben Howard if he's back doing stuff but who knows what he's up to with this A Blaze of Feathers thing. I guess Gorillaz are a possibility too if they're properly touring then.

52 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I agree on Chvrches, wasn't thinking of Arcade Fire but can definitely see that happening now you mention it. I was thinking Ben Howard if he's back doing stuff but who knows what he's up to with this A Blaze of Feathers thing. I guess Gorillaz are a possibility too if they're properly touring then.

Yeah, not sure if Gorillaz would be touring by then but if they are I was thinking that they might do BST, what with their one-off show being done by AEG/Goldenvoice (BST promoters) and Damon having form of playing Hyde Park on Blur's last few tours. Would make more sense for this year but obviously that won't be happening.

Edited by dentalplan

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

The headliners might be square and the 6music headliners (as they stand) don't offer an interesting alternative 

I think it's an important point that the Big Top isn't a 6 Music stage anymore but a BBC Music stage. It's a subtle change but reflects the subtle change in programming (e.g. Fatboy Slim, Jack Garratt)

For me Latitude has never been about the headliners. In fact it's never been about all the music. Generally I see way less music there than I would most other festivals but immerse myself in all the other stuff picking and choosing just a few musical highlights each day.

13 hours ago, rseamer said:

I think it's an important point that the Big Top isn't a 6 Music stage anymore but a BBC Music stage. It's a subtle change but reflects the subtle change in programming (e.g. Fatboy Slim, Jack Garratt)

This is a good point, although Fatboy Slim gets as much airtime on Radio 1 as on 6 Music these days so that's still a weird booking.

On 3/16/2017 at 5:57 AM, rseamer said:

For me Latitude has never been about the headliners. In fact it's never been about all the music. Generally I see way less music there than I would most other festivals but immerse myself in all the other stuff picking and choosing just a few musical highlights each day.

Forgive me for being ignorant, but what stuff is there to immerse yourself in at Latitude that isn't present at other festivals? I'd love to go one day but not really attracted by this years lineup. 

5 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

Forgive me for being ignorant, but what stuff is there to immerse yourself in at Latitude that isn't present at other festivals? I'd love to go one day but not really attracted by this years lineup. 

There's a fantastic huge comedy tent (which always has a strong line up), plus arenas for theatre, dance, film, literature, poetry and there's lake swimming as well - have a look at the last couple of years line up posters to get a feel for it.

4 hours ago, rseamer said:

There's a fantastic huge comedy tent (which always has a strong line up), plus arenas for theatre, dance, film, literature, poetry and there's lake swimming as well - have a look at the last couple of years line up posters to get a feel for it.

and there's lots of pretty installations and stages hidden amongst the woods and things like that, it's adorable

I'm really, really tempted to go this year. Almost went about 3 years ago but something came up. This festival seems to be right up my street. I'm so tempted in fact that I've already booked that weekend off with work but yet to buy a ticket.

The only thing is I would be be going on my own (which doesn't bother me too much as I've done Reading Fest on my own a couple of times), was wondering if there is a camp longer group going on for this year?

On 3/18/2017 at 1:34 PM, CRW5252 said:

There's an extremely agreeable slope just outside of the Sunrise tent, that not only offers a lounging spot which is for my money the very finest angle to recline on at any UK fest, but also offers choice views of the stage for all but the most rammed sets, and is nested in the midst of a very charming wooded area to boot. There's a lot of stuff at Latitude to love, but I think it's that slope I'll miss the most. I've got a mental image now of Marcus Mumford and Country Winston, stood with their public school todgers out, pissing right onto my slope and chortling heartily. We live in troubling times.

14 hours ago, Space_Dementia said:

I'm really, really tempted to go this year. Almost went about 3 years ago but something came up. This festival seems to be right up my street. I'm so tempted in fact that I've already booked that weekend off with work but yet to buy a ticket.

The only thing is I would be be going on my own (which doesn't bother me too much as I've done Reading Fest on my own a couple of times), was wondering if there is a camp longer group going on for this year?

I'm not sure what "camp longer" is, but they do a "Billy loadsa mates" camp which is for solo campers. Or they used to at least, there's a latitude fan forum that might be a bit more help for you re: this

12 minutes ago, evannn said:

I'm not sure what "camp longer" is, but they do a "Billy loadsa mates" camp which is for solo campers. Or they used to at least, there's a latitude fan forum that might be a bit more help for you re: this

Yeah camp loner would sort of be the same thing, its just a group of people who happen to be attending a festival on their own and camp together, Reading do a unofficial one every year.  Thanks, found it!

Edited by Space_Dementia

On 20/03/2017 at 8:47 PM, Space_Dementia said:

you can spot the "Billy loadsa mates"  camp on the map

http://www.latitudefestival.com/map

but even if that was not there - just a walk in the woods will sort you out

its a very friendly place and even although I was not looking to chat with strangers there is always someone who will ask this or that

I would encourage people to become a Volunteer { there is places still up for grabs }

https://www.hotboxevents.com/about/latitude-festival/

I know some of them and they do enjoy it - they camp very close to us and its a nice crew site.

sure you will miss part of the festival but there is lots of benefits that make it worth it.

generally delighted with the line up!

but will be a little disappointed if Jack Garrat is headlining the BBC stage on Saturday. I wouldn't normally want to see him or mumfords. I've only ever been to the BBC headliners in my 2 latitudes. Though will go to fleet foxes and 1975 this year.

Does the lake stage happen to schedule its saturday headliner at the same time as the main two stages? I guess going there come headline time would be my fall back.