Latitude Festival 2017

scatteredscreens

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I told my mate tonight who had been an intermittent Latitude goer across its lifespan that The 1975 are headlining; he had such a strong reaction against it that I found myself defending them. I don't even like The 1975, I should have just been like "Yas gurl, fuck those betches" but a sense of duty welled up from within because this board likes them.

11 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I told my mate tonight who had been an intermittent Latitude goer across its lifespan that The 1975 are headlining; he had such a strong reaction against it that I found myself defending them. I don't even like The 1975, I should have just been like "Yas gurl, fuck those betches" but a sense of duty welled up from within because this board likes them.

Why?!.....it wasn't this board you were reacting to about it. You're mate is within their rights to be unhappy.

quite a few bands I think are shite but can usually understand why others would like them but not with The 1975.

I just think the lead singer keeps trying to say something controversial to get the bands name out there and the masses fall for it.

I take it that Radio 1 is pedalling this shite?

whilst they're not to my taste at all and i won't be watching them, the 1975 is a decent booking. there's always one headliner "for the kids" and the 1975 are pretty much the biggest band in britain in terms of this catergory at the moment. they'll shift tickets for sure. hopefully they'll stick something for us oldies in the 6music tent whilst they're on like super furry animals or the jesus and mary chain.

I can't say I'm that fussed on the 1975, its not going to be enough for me to want and purchase a ticket just yet, even though I would really like to check this festival out for the first time. I've tried listening to 75 but... ah I don't quite know what it is, can't quite connect. 

I really hope the Lana Del Rey rumour turns out to be true... I adore her.

Edited by Space_Dementia
mistyped

13 minutes ago, dirty_dog said:

that one isn't that bad, anymore you can recommend ? I have been known to change my mind in the past

That's their best track, stomping live too - ended up at their O2 gig and it got the seating at the back back going like nothing else. 

But the second album does have plenty other good tunes - Love Me, Loving Someone, A Change of Heart, UGH come to mind. It's a shame they get lost in the sea of kind of pointless ambient stuff (also the biggest problem with their set at that gig)  but at least it shows their ambition I guess. 

Edited by Mash011

2 hours ago, Mash011 said:

That's their best track, stomping live too - ended up at their O2 gig and it got the seating at the back back going like nothing else. 

But the second album does have plenty other good tunes - Love Me, Loving Someone, A Change of Heart, UGH come to mind. It's a shame they get lost in the sea of kind of pointless ambient stuff (also the biggest problem with their set at that gig)  but at least it shows their ambition I guess. 

Yeah on reflection they seemed so desperate to avoid a repeat of the critical pummelling that the debut got that they ended up going too far in the opposite direction, and ended up making a record twice as long as it should've been thanks to a load of elongated film score interludes. Sonically and critically ILIWYSFYASBYSUOI is superb, but if they want to headline the big ones their third record will need to find a balance between the two extremes.

6 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah on reflection they seemed so desperate to avoid a repeat of the critical pummelling that the debut got that they ended up going too far in the opposite direction, and ended up making a record twice as long as it should've been thanks to a load of elongated film score interludes. Sonically and critically ILIWYSFYASBYSUOI is superb, but if they want to headline the big ones their third record will need to find a balance between the two extremes.

Still a smart move putting out an album like that, even if they can't quite pull it off. That bit more scope stops them getting forgotten as 'disposable' pop and will in the long run give them the credibility to headline the big fests. I agree I hope they focus it a bit more - keep the good pop and the ambition but have a bit more conceptual cohesiveness rather than just messiness.

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Right, speculative question.  If The Shins and the flaming lips were to play, where would they sit in the lineup?

Would either still be able to headline or are they 6 music / subs?

I'd say strong sub/6music. Maybe Flaming Lips headliner if the other two were more current mainstream (and we know one is)