Theft?

R95wilson

It used to be a big problem - haven't seen it in a few years. Used to be people robbing tents while everyone slept. If they found anyone awake they'd just say 'sorry wrong tent' and leave. 

Maybe about 7-8 years ago our group and everyone around us either had stuff nicked or had their tent gone through - all on the wed-thursday nights. The stuff they're after is cash, phones, cameras, ipods....small and high value. That's pretty much it. From what was being said at the time it wasn't just Reading, it was organised gangs going round a few festivals just to rob people. 

Just sleep with your stuff at the bottom of your sleeping bag - 14 festivals and all I've ever had nicked is beer and firewood that got left out because I was too drunk to put it inside my tent. 

6 years in a row, 0 thefts (touch wood)!

You just have to be smart about what you bring, where you camp and who you invite in to have a few beers with.

Don't bring ridiculous valuables, if you bring a smart phone keep it close at all times and don't flash it around. Never leave anything valuable in the tents even if you're just popping to the long drops or to get water and keep your tent/area tidy so you'll know straight away if anything isn't right.

Just be sensible with things. Chairs are the difficult one but I always put mine back in its carry case and in to my tent.

48 minutes ago, AndrewSmith said:

6 years in a row, 0 thefts (touch wood)!

You just have to be smart about what you bring, where you camp and who you invite in to have a few beers with.

Don't bring ridiculous valuables, if you bring a smart phone keep it close at all times and don't flash it around. Never leave anything valuable in the tents even if you're just popping to the long drops or to get water and keep your tent/area tidy so you'll know straight away if anything isn't right.

Just be sensible with things. Chairs are the difficult one but I always put mine back in its carry case and in to my tent.

chairs must be the most stolen items to be honest, 3 years ago i started taking weak fishing line with me (its great for a ton of stuff) I started tying a bit to a leg of my chair and another bit to part of my tent at the end of a night, the line snaps so it doesn't hurt your tent but it shakes your tent big time if someone tries to take it (worked 2 out of 3 years) but hey I saved money on buying new chairs every day...

It's really not as bad as it used to be. 

As said above, the only things that tend to go missing are chairs and beer. Chairs aren't exactly a big deal, they're normally broke by Thursday night anyway!

Just be sensible. Keep valuables on you. Perhaps leave a credit card hidden in your tent in case your wallet gets nicked (I tend to leave my pre-paid card with 20 quid on it hidden somewhere in case I lose my wallet, if they nick that, they can't do sod all with it anyway). If you have a half decent phone, grab one of the lanyards the police hand out around the festival.

If you're really worried, just get a locker. 1 between your group is normally enough. If there's 3/4 of you, it only works out a few quid for the weekend.

Edited by bca