Recommendations

mjsell

Mates and I have finally fully comitted and got our tickets for this year, despite the less than amazing lineup, anticpication is starting to ramp up now - Just wondered who everyone is looking forward to and would recommend others to give a listen to - there must be some hidden gems!

A few of mine to throw in the ring:

Jagwar Ma, Tourist, Clean Cut Kid, Will Varley, Petite Meller, Ghostpoet, Crystal Fighters

Anyone else?

Edited by mjsell

Ah, activity on the Bestival forum! A rare sight indeed.

Kano - A grime artist who's music is a bit more middle of the road than others'. Songs such as 'T-shirt weather' and 'This is England' are pleasant to listen to, however he does also have some louder ones such as '3 wheel's up' and 'GarageSkankFREESTYLE' which are bound to get the place poppin'.

Glass Animals - Slow paced, indie music with quite an original sound. Newer singles seem to be going a bit more upbeat and mainstream, still very enjoyable. Playing the Big Top on Thursday so would be worth a gander whilst there's not much else on.

Wolf Alice - If you haven't heard of them, where have you been?? On the rise, after releasing 1 album that covers quite a broad range of sounds, all under the indie rock heading. They've got a female-lead which makes for a nice change. After another successful album they could be on to much bigger things.

Mura Masa - Again, very much on the rise. He creates beautiful, melodic electronica which after a few tunes you will be very into. 'Firefly', 'Lovesick' and 'What if I go?' are his 3 best, but he's great at pinching others' tunes to blend very nicely into the sound and style of his sets.

Hospitality Presents - If you have any appreciation for drum and bass you'll need to visit this part of the festival at least once. All great artists, all will do amazing sets, and the MCs always know how to raise the crowd's spirits.

Honne - With a debut album out earlier this year, Honne have a distinct sound with their jazzy, smooth, synthy beats, that have a general feel good tone. They'll no doubt leave you with a smile on your face. 'Someone that loves you' is one that particularly shines, featuring vocals from Izzy Bizu, who will also be performing solo at the festival.

Loyle Carner - A downbeat rap artist / poet who's voice gracefully glides over the classic, minimalist back beat provided. Currently hasn't released many songs but is sure to have something up his sleeves for a brilliant set.

Pretty Vicous - A nice change from the general sound of Bestival, this band have an upbeat punk-rock sound that's bound to get your feet moving. Their track 'its always there' was at one point Radio 1's 'hottest track in the world'.

Haelos - This British trio offer a unique style that can be likened to that of 'The xx', with an eerie sound overlaid with wonderfully wide harmonisation between the male and female vocals. 

Danny L Harle - If you were looking for a burst of energy, you've found it. Danny's sets consist of high pitched, bouncy tunes than never stop to take a breath. 

A few others I'd recommend giving a go are Rationale, PUP, Mella Dee, The Sherlocks, Shadow Child, Bicep, and DJ Yoda.

There's a great selection of artists you wont have heard of on this line up, but its certainly worth a bit of exploring!

(P.S. Fatboy Slim is shite live, he has great classic tunes but never plays any of them and you will wish you had picked something else.)

Top notch response Buddy!

Will get stuck in to a few of those names the next couple of days. 

Wasn't aware a few of those were even on the lineup to be fair, pretty vicious and Izzy Bizu being two of them, will definitely like to check them out. 

Also will agree and disagree in equal measures about Fatboy. If you are expecting his hits then completely agree... Don't. But if you know what you are in for, are in to that kind of thing, and in the right 'frame of mind' he's still quite good at what he does. 

Cheers man, yea there's quite a few gems down at the bottom, mostly coming from the 'invaders of the future' stage. I guess they wanted to save on the budget a bit by going for more low key acts this year.

Ah fair enough, have you seen him before then? I think I was just particularly disappointing after seeing him for the second time (first at SW4 2015, second at Glastonbury this year) since the set felt to be almost exactly the same... so I'm not willing to sit through the same set AGAIN! If there's nothing else on, go for it, but if someone's on the fence, i'd say veer away from fatboy ;)

Potential to be a really good thread helping to find new music.

A lot of my recommendations have been mentioned before but he are my picks (with some of my favourite tunes of theirs to give you a taste) -

- Jagwar Ma (O B 1 , Uncertainty, The Throw)  

- Glass Animals (Toes, Gooey, Life Itself)

- Wolf Alice (Moaning Lisa Smile, Giant Peach, Lisbon)

- Loyle Carner (No CD, Stars & Shards) - discovered from Buddy Holly's recommendations!

- The Sherlocks (Escapade, Heart of Gold)

- VANT (Karma Seeker, Parking Lot)

- Oh Wonder (Technicolour Beat, Without You)

- Spring King (City, Recitifier)

- CC Smugglers (Rhythm, Lydia)

- Odesza (Say My Name)

Should be arriving around this time next week, getting excited now!

Instead of listing all the acts I like on the line up I may as well just share my playlist...

Includes 3 songs from every artist I listened to and liked, and I tried to include at least one more recent song from each (even if they're going downhill haha).

And yes, you're right, I do have too much time on my hands!