Pilton party

cidy

41 minutes ago, KING BURRIW said:

Please bare in mind this is a local event we had big problems a few years ago with Jo whiley announcing it on Radio 1 and when it used to be held on football pitch it was bedlam.  I know that's not the case now and I have contacted both Emily and Organisers to plead with them NOT to sell the tickets on seetickets as was the first time last year.  Sorry for rant but you could see that alot of people not local had bought tickets via seetickets and selling them for a profit.

This.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

ahhh so us none locals are not welcome ...ok

Well, bearing in mind it is an event to thank locals for the disruption caused by the festival. then no you're not. However, if Michael has changed the goalposts like he did last year by selling tickets to anyone via SeeTickets, then I suppose yes you are. 

On 7/23/2016 at 11:23 PM, deebeedoobee said:

The 2 other s were King Eider and The Activators.

Band to pull out we think was Miles Kane

Highly doubt it was MK who pulled out, hes touring with the Last Shadow Puppets and also he played it two years ago.

1 hour ago, strummer77 said:

It was always an event to thank the local community - so the locals should get priority, yes. 

I think that's fair.  As a non-local who has been for the last couple of years with friends who are local (4 in total, 2 locals and 2 of us visit for the weekend), how is that viewed?

Disclaimer - that's not a pissy question, I'm genuinely curious.

12 hours ago, KING BURRIW said:

Please bare in mind this is a local event we had big problems a few years ago with Jo whiley announcing it on Radio 1 and when it used to be held on football pitch it was bedlam.  I know that's not the case now and I have contacted both Emily and Organisers to plead with them NOT to sell the tickets on seetickets as was the first time last year.  Sorry for rant but you could see that alot of people not local had bought tickets via seetickets and selling them for a profit.

did you get a reply from emily or the organisers? I wonder what the reason is for opening it up the world like this. Just to simplify the sales process?

As an "outsider" I wouldnt dream of trying to get a ticket for this event, unless I was going with friends or family who lived locally.

Edited by russycarps

23 minutes ago, Quark said:

I think that's fair.  As a non-local who has been for the last couple of years with friends who are local (4 in total, 2 locals and 2 of us visit for the weekend), how is that viewed?

Disclaimer - that's not a pissy question, I'm genuinely curious.

To clarify, I think non-locals have always been welcome - and there has never been a 'ban' on them or a specific rule against them. However it has generally been the case that it is a LOT easier if you live nearer the site to get your hands on tickets and it should remain that way. If they want to bring friends or family like yourselves then that's great and their prerogative as locals. Equally if 'outsiders' made the effort that was previously needed to drive all the way to Glastonbury in the weeks beforehand to get their tickets then you felt that was fine.

However, it shouldn't be a complete free for all where its easy their hands on them. It isn't meant to have a similar geographical make up to the festival because that isn't the events purpose.

It would be sad to see it lose that local feel. It's also worth bearing in mind that not many 'big' acts play in Somerset outside of the festival. So it is a chance for people who don't regularly travel to London/Cardiff to see some 'big' acts down the road.

4 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

To clarify, I think non-locals have always been welcome - and there has never been a 'ban' on them or a specific rule against them. However it has generally been the case that it is a LOT easier if you live nearer the site to get your hands on tickets and it should remain that way. If they want to bring friends or family like yourselves then that's great and their prerogative as locals. Equally if 'outsiders' made the effort that was previously needed to drive all the way to Glastonbury in the weeks beforehand to get their tickets then you felt that was fine.

However, it shouldn't be a complete free for all where its easy their hands on them. It isn't meant to have a similar geographical make up to the festival because that isn't the events purpose.

It would be sad to see it lose that local feel. It's also worth bearing in mind that not many 'big' acts play in Somerset outside of the festival. So it is a chance for people who don't regularly travel to London/Cardiff to see some 'big' acts down the road.

That's about what I'd figured.  Like @russycarps I wouldn't try to get myself a ticket if the friends who live nearby weren't going, would just feel a bit wrong.  I also think the atmosphere at PP is really good because of that local feel, and wouldn't want that to be lost.

I remember the good old days circa 2002 when you just turned up paid your £10 on the door and then go in and watch Coldplay none of this worrying about tickets. Jo Whiley put an end to that announcing the Pilton Party on radio 1. Thanks then Jo 

Going back even further (1995) I remember a work friend (who lived in the village) telling me that a small band that he had never heard of were playing the party. I spat out my chips when he said The Stone Roses.

I jumped onto the phone and rang all my mates parents - because everyone was at work and mobile phones were a thing of the future.

We all crammed into our cars and drove the 10 miles to the site - We still didn't believe it until we saw Ian Brown pull up in a merc. 

What a night.

Those were the good old days when you paid an old lady on the entrance to the football field.  Then Jo Whiley announced it is think it was either Kasabian or Keane year and we were qued for hours trying to get in.

I have nothing against non locals just the process now of tickets being sold.  Before last year to ensure you lived local you had to go to the Festival shop in Glastonbury or The office in Pilton.  Thus meaning locals got tickets.  Now with this seetickets crap it's turning into a mini Glastonbury festival 

21 minutes ago, KING BURRIW said:

Those were the good old days when you paid an old lady on the entrance to the football field.  Then Jo Whiley announced it is think it was either Kasabian or Keane year and we were qued for hours trying to get in.

I have nothing against non locals just the process now of tickets being sold.  Before last year to ensure you lived local you had to go to the Festival shop in Glastonbury or The office in Pilton.  Thus meaning locals got tickets.  Now with this seetickets crap it's turning into a mini Glastonbury festival 

Totally - I think the idea of picking up the tickets locally was a good one. 

all fair play and totally understood ...the locals DO put up with a hell of a lot and so they deserve there time but its alaso good to know its not a closed book ....ill hopefully go one of these years as i will with the glasto extravaganza thing .if it turns out i have time money ect i may see if i can go but tbh i think id prob like to organize it with local friends way before hand so on that note im out lol ..............

on a diferent note do the bands get paid for this or do they do it as a thank you as well if you get my meaning

17 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

On a diferent note do the bands get paid for this or do they do it as a thank you as well if you get my meaning

They might get a bit but always used to be that if they played they got a good slot the following year. Seems to be the other way round now but that seems the gist of it

5 hours ago, strummer77 said:

They might get a bit but always used to be that if they played they got a good slot the following year. Seems to be the other way round now but that seems the gist of it

lol yea think your right old son ..cheers

On 25/07/2016 at 11:10 AM, M_Il said:

I remember the good old days circa 2002 when you just turned up paid your £10 on the door and then go in and watch Coldplay none of this worrying about tickets. Jo Whiley put an end to that announcing the Pilton Party on radio 1. Thanks then Jo 

Jo's unfortunate 'intervention' changed things. I was there, it was a stupid and dangerous thing to do.

£10 on the gate (literally) was indeed great but those days are gone and PP is now something very different.

It's still 'for the locals' in that the village benefits from the funds raised but it's certainly not restricted to local attendance. GFL are saying as much by selling via See with no postcode restriction (a system they could employ easily if desired).

Get your tix and come along to the party :-)

A.Local.

Edited by HalfAnIdiot

I went to this a couple of years ago when it was Foals (i think) who played. 

I was already planning to be in the area and hadn't been to the festival that year so it was a lovely much needed Glasto fix.. wish I could go again in September...