NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I just hope your missus knows what she's letting herself in for when she agrees to join in with your activities!

Ha I think she has an idea of what certain areas are like, I think it's safe to say her mind will be blown though. Actually, who am I trying to kid, I'm not really sure what I'm letting myself in for.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Bols (the liquer makers) have a museum where you can see the history of cocktail making etc, the price of entry includes 2 cocktails so worth an hour or so and its right opposite another museum (can't remember the name of it) where on Fridays (maybe just a few fridays a month) you can wander the museum at night for free with live music/bands playing and a bar- its a great way to spend a few hours

Amsterdam is an amazing city

The Bols museum, (House of Bols)? is located in the museum quarter I believe so close to all the other major museums in the city.

1 hour ago, djdavejohnson said:

Ah yes I did read about those queues - I'll book a timed slot before I set off.

That sounds rather cool re the night time museum exploring, will definitely have a look into that!

I've seen that you can buy 3-day rail/tram cards for €25, I'm thinking these might be useful especially as we'll be traveling to the hotel from the airport. The hotel is located just outside the city centre, maybe 2-3km, so I'm guessing over the 3 days it should pay for itself? Not really sure what the local individual prices are like but the price seems reasonable.

Definitely worth it I'd say. The train to the city from the airport is around 6 or 7 euros and trams are pretty much the easiest way to get around the city. Try and stay away from the taxis however, they are ridiculously expensive and there are many unscrupulous private cabs exploiting tourists by taking them the 'long' way round!

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Have to say I'm not a fan of the RLD wander myself Shaun, just find it all a bit depressing really!  Although the purple lights are certainly, as you put it, niche!

However, watching the world go by is definitely worthwhile.  I just love wandering in Amsterdam!

While it can certainly be depressing at times, the Red light district is part of Amsterdam's culture and tourism industry and helps to bring a lot of revenue into the city so I added it to my list of places to visit. I certainly believe that at least a first visit to the city should include it.

Shaun.

4 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

The Bols museum, (House of Bols)? is located in the museum quarter I believe so close to all the other major museums in the city.

Definitely worth it I'd say. The train to the city from the airport is around 6 or 7 euros and trams are pretty much the easiest way to get around the city. Try and stay away from the taxis however, they are ridiculously expensive and there are many unscrupulous private cabs exploiting tourists by taking them the 'long' way round!

While it can certainly be depressing at times, the Red light district is part of Amsterdam's culture and tourism industry and helps to bring a lot of revenue into the city so I added it to my list of places to visit. I certainly believe that at least a first visit to the city should include it.

Shaun.

Thanks Shaun I'll ensure I pick up a couple of passes once I'm there, and I'll do some digging on Bols beforehand.

As this is my first time I'll visit the RLD, if anything just to see what it's all about. I don't expect to hang around there for too long but it'll definitely feature on the itinerary :)

18 hours ago, djdavejohnson said:

Ah that would be great, thank you!

I'm mostly interested in the temples/markets, the gf will likely want some shopping in there, and I guess we should at least sample any other delights Bangkok has to offer! 

Any advice would be greatfully received - enjoy your cheese making! :)

Hi again,

Had a look through what we did, and I've got a few suggestions. Now, bear in mind we went ten years ago, so some info might be out of date. Definitely worth checking a more recent guidebook or website before you go, if any of this sounds of interest!

1. The Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaeo complex. Loads to see here, including the Ramskien Gallery and the Bot of the Emerald Buddha. 

2. Wat Pho. Mostly known for it's huge (and I mean HUGE!) gilded reclining Buddha. 

3. Chinatown. Particularly good for the markets, especially if you fancy trying grilled monkey brains!

4. Khao San Road. Good fun at night, with bars, restaurants, markets and street food. The Pad Thai and deep-fried crickets are particularly good. Also, if it's still there, the cocktail campervan is good for buckets of cocktails (the Mai-Tais were our favourite :))

5. Wat Arun. Beautifully decorated temple, covered in a mosaic of broken porcelain. 

6. The National Museum. Definitely worth a look, especially the Buddhaisawan chapel. 

7. Wat Suthat. Impressive temple with an 8 metre tall bronze Buddha. This is also where you can buy the fired metal monks bowls, that they use for alms-gathering, if you fancy that kind of thing. 

8. Pat Pong. Rather like Amsterdam's red light district, I guess, it's worth a look out of curiosity, but you probably wouldn't stay long or go back a second time unless you actually wanted to partake!  

9. Khlong tour. You can hire a long-tail boat from various piers along the river, for a tour of the khlongs (canals) that branch off in dozens of directions from the river. 

10. Getting about. We walked about 20 miles a day while there, and only got transport for longer trips. We used tuktuks (good value if you haggle, but close your eyes and pray when you get to a junction!) and the Chao Phraya River Boat (also very reasonable and gets you away from the exhaust fumes for a bit, but only handy for seeing things near the river). The Skytrain is supposed to be very good, but we didn't try it. I'd avoid taxis if I were you, they're expensive and usually no faster than walking!

11. Lists should be in odd numbers. It should be the law!

Hope some of that helps! :) 

16 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Hi again,

Had a look through what we did, and I've got a few suggestions. Now, bear in mind we went ten years ago, so some info might be out of date. Definitely worth checking a more recent guidebook or website before you go, if any of this sounds of interest!

1. The Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaeo complex. Loads to see here, including the Ramskien Gallery and the Bot of the Emerald Buddha. 

2. Wat Pho. Mostly known for it's huge (and I mean HUGE!) gilded reclining Buddha. 

3. Chinatown. Particularly good for the markets, especially if you fancy trying grilled monkey brains!

4. Khao San Road. Good fun at night, with bars, restaurants, markets and street food. The Pad Thai and deep-fried crickets are particularly good. Also, if it's still there, the cocktail campervan is good for buckets of cocktails (the Mai-Tais were our favourite :))

5. Wat Arun. Beautifully decorated temple, covered in a mosaic of broken porcelain. 

6. The National Museum. Definitely worth a look, especially the Buddhaisawan chapel. 

7. Wat Suthat. Impressive temple with an 8 metre tall bronze Buddha. This is also where you can buy the fired metal monks bowls, that they use for alms-gathering, if you fancy that kind of thing. 

8. Pat Pong. Rather like Amsterdam's red light district, I guess, it's worth a look out of curiosity, but you probably wouldn't stay long or go back a second time unless you actually wanted to partake!  

9. Khlong tour. You can hire a long-tail boat from various piers along the river, for a tour of the khlongs (canals) that branch off in dozens of directions from the river. 

10. Getting about. We walked about 20 miles a day while there, and only got transport for longer trips. We used tuktuks (good value if you haggle, but close your eyes and pray when you get to a junction!) and the Chao Phraya River Boat (also very reasonable and gets you away from the exhaust fumes for a bit, but only handy for seeing things near the river). The Skytrain is supposed to be very good, but we didn't try it. I'd avoid taxis if I were you, they're expensive and usually no faster than walking!

11. Lists should be in odd numbers. It should be the law!

Hope some of that helps! :) 

That's great thank you for all those tips! Lots of cultural bits in there which is a big plus for me. The markets and the street food is also a big attraction - can't wait! Sampling food from around the world is one of the things I most look forward to, even if it does mean nibbling away at grilled monkey brains and deep-fried crickets!

I purchased a Lonely Planet guide last week and have only managed to dip in and out of it so far - there's a lot to get through! I'll be working my way through that between now and when I set off :)

Anyone to Koh Samui should absolutely check out the Ang Thong Marine Park. Incredible. 

I've spent the last week training for new job and having me head melted and then coming home and researching places to eat in New York. Can't wait to go and eat ALL the food!!!! 

Looks like everything's coming up @H.M.V

Made myself a foolish promise for next year. If the ticket gods see fit to sort me out on T-Day I'm finally going to have a crack at the Big Easy Jam. Dug the guitar out for the first time in a loooong time tonight, and I have work to do!

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Made myself a foolish promise for next year. If the ticket gods see fit to sort me out on T-Day I'm finally going to have a crack at the Big Easy Jam. Dug the guitar out for the first time in a loooong time tonight, and I have work to do!

Is that the thing in the park? I haven't been but am usually up for a sing song if I've had enough gin! 

9 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

Is that the thing in the park? I haven't been but am usually up for a sing song if I've had enough gin! 

That's the one. Few mates in a band got up last year, plus one with no clue and a set of bongos. Good craic!

13 hours ago, Quark said:

Where is it in the park ? Read about it this year but didn't find it :-( 

Well the gig in park was interesting last night , music and friends fun.... Marc almond was surprisingly good, billy Ocean a cool dude , and human league were fun .... But 40 mins to an hour queue for a drink ..... Bloody stupid ! 

Anyway thats thta over and time for beach and kayaking this weekend :-)

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Where is it in the park ? Read about it this year but didn't find it :-( 

On the right hand side as you walk up past Bimble Inn FF.

Quality Saturday morning so far. Fruit and veg shopping at the market, now sat with a coffee and a brownie (not that kind) watching the local folk club perform on the bandstand. Happy Quark.

Oh, and happy sweary twatting Saturday my lovelies. NFR NFC!

Morning all, what a lovely day! I've not had much for breakfast as I'm off to 2 BBQ's today! Then drinks tonight with the other half's father... (we get on very well, and no it is just for drinks. No permissions of any sort being requested tonight)...!

Got a mini palava to sort out what with lowcostholidays.com going into administration. Amsterdam and Thailand fine as booked flights/hotels separately, however Lanzarote needs sorting. My brother sorted it all out so we'll need to work together to sort things for our Nan who paid for it all. Even though whats happened cant be helped, I'm a little bit annoyed at how reckless he was in booking it (even though I offered to help at the time), i.e. not checking if the company was ATOL protected (which it isn't), ensuring payment was made on a credit card (which it wasn't), ensuring you sorted travel insurance out for at least yourselves (which hasn't happened), just generally being cautious when you're spending a fairly significant amount of someone else's money (which atm I'm struggling to see where caution was exercised). Annnnyway I haven't said any of that to my brother, and don't intend to at this stage, although I might have a word with him though once everything is sorted.

Mini-crisis aside, I'm in a good mood and looking forward to getting outdoors. I hope everyone has a great weekend ahead :)