NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

43 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Been to all 3 :-) and sounds like you have a great last part of the year :-)

Where abouts in Thailand are you heading ? Beautiful country, and I spent a month in Khao Lak a few  years ago.  Went to Lanzarote about 30 years ago, and to be honest I can't remember a lot apart from bars and beaches lol

Not gonna lie I'm very much looking forward to it! :)

Thailand - spending three nights in Bangkok and then a week in Phuket. Phuket's more of a base though, obviously won't be able to go to lots of places and do already have a hotel booked, but am looking to venture out and explore other areas/islands. Ah how was Khao Lak? I've heard a lot of good things!

I've been to Lanzarote once, remember the same as you really! Looking for a bit more relaxation there, with maybe a couple of adventure type days.

Never been to Amsterdam so looking forward to that and some city exploring!

Edited by djdavejohnson

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Not gonna lie I'm very much looking forward to it! :)

Thailand - spending three nights in Bangkok and then a week in Phuket. Phuket's more of a base though, obviously won't be able to go to lots of places and do already have a hotel booked, but am looking to venture out and explore others areas/islands. Ah how was Khao Lak? I've heard a lot of good things!

I've been to Lanzarote once, remember the same as you really! Looking for a bit more relaxation there, with maybe a couple of adventure type days.

Never been to Amsterdam so looking forward to that and some city exploring!

Can't comment on the others, but I spent a week in Bangkok a while back. Also had a week on a Thai Island, but it was Koh Samui, not Phuket. Sorry. Anyway, I'm a bit busy making cheese tonight (don't ask!), so I'll check through our holiday diary of Bangkok tomorrow, and let you know what I think is worth seeing. To narrow it down, what sort of thing are you interested in? Shopping? Temples? Markets? Ping-pong shows? Bangkok has it all, really! 

4 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Can't comment on the others, but I spent a week in Bangkok a while back. Also had a week on a Thai Island, but it was Koh Samui, not Phuket. Sorry. Anyway, I'm a bit busy making cheese tonight (don't ask!), so I'll check through our holiday diary of Bangkok tomorrow, and let you know what I think is worth seeing. To narrow it down, what sort of thing are you interested in? Shopping? Temples? Markets? Ping-pong shows? Bangkok has it all, really! 

Ah that would be great, thank you!

I'm mostly interested in the temples/markets, the gf will likely want some shopping in there, and I guess we should at least sample any other delights Bangkok has to offer! 

Any advice would be greatfully received - enjoy your cheese making! :)

1 hour ago, djdavejohnson said:

Evening all, seeing as trips away are being discussed, I'm heading to Amsterdam, Lanzarote and Thailand between September and November (I'm not normally so lucky - Amsterdam is a surprise weekend break for my partner for a bigger birthday, Nan decided she wanted to take the family away as we haven't been away as a family for about 15 years, and Thailand is my and my partners annual holiday that we've both had to work a lot of overtime for to be able to afford!) - has anybody been to either of those? And if so do you have any tips you wouldn't mind sharing?

Many thanks! :)

That's a quality way to end the year! Been to Amsterdam 4 times (I know, surprising right? ;) ) and have to say it's probably my favourite city break. I've done it as family trips and coffee shop tours, and however you do it it's just wonderful.

I would definitely recommend hiring bikes, takes some getting used to but it's such a good way of seeing the city. The riverboat tours are a bit cheesy but worth doing. And I cannot recommend this bar enough

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d747812-Reviews-De_Zotte-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Huge gatefold menu of beers, open till 3ish and playing classic/80s rock. Love it. About 20 minute walk from Dam Square.

Depending on where you are with the coffee shops, this one's probably my favourite. Generally a bit quieter and more chilled out than a lot of them.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d3349399-Reviews-Coffeeshop_Basjoe-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

In general I'd avoid bars, restaurants and coffee shops near the station and around Dam Square; just like any city's main attractions you'll get fleeced.

As you can probably tell, I really like Amsterdam!

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

That's a quality way to end the year! Been to Amsterdam 4 times (I know, surprising right? ;) ) and have to say it's probably my favourite city break. I've done it as family trips and coffee shop tours, and however you do it it's just wonderful.

I would definitely recommend hiring bikes, takes some getting used to but it's such a good way of seeing the city. The riverboat tours are a bit cheesy but worth doing. And I cannot recommend this bar enough

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d747812-Reviews-De_Zotte-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Huge gatefold menu of beers, open till 3ish and playing classic/80s rock. Love it. About 20 minute walk from Dam Square.

Depending on where you are with the coffee shops, this one's probably my favourite. Generally a bit quieter and more chilled out than a lot of them.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d3349399-Reviews-Coffeeshop_Basjoe-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

In general I'd avoid bars, restaurants and coffee shops near the station and around Dam Square; just like any city's main attractions you'll get fleeced.

Ah I cannot wait - you've got me even more excited now! I'll definitely hire a couple of bikes and do one riverboat tour. 

That bar looks cool, the menu looks great and the music is right up my street! Great shout! :)

I'll check out a coffee shop - never been much of a smoker and haven't ever smoked regularly (mostly dabbled with other bits and bobs whilst at uni) for a few years now so a little apprehensive on that front. Hoping a couple of cheeky puffs will do the trick. I guess it would be rude not to at least sample a cafe whilst there!

5 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Ah I cannot wait - you've got me even more excited now! I'll definitely hire a couple of bikes and do one riverboat tour. 

That bar looks cool, the menu looks great and the music is right up my street! Great shout! :)

I'll check out a coffee shop - never been much of a smoker and haven't ever smoked regularly (mostly dabbled with other bits and bobs whilst at uni) for a few years now so a little apprehensive on that front. Hoping a couple of cheeky puffs will do the trick. I guess it would be rude not to at least sample a cafe whilst there!

If you buy them pre rolled at the counter you'll get a bit stung on price, but if you're not planning to have much it's probably better than buying and rolling your own. 

If you don't partake much, talk to the guys at the counter and get them to sort you out an appropriate strength. And try not to do what I did and white out on someone's doorstep! :D

They've seen it all before, so if they offer you an orange juice then take it - they probably know what's coming before you do! 

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

If you buy them pre rolled at the counter you'll get a bit stung on price, but if you're not planning to have much it's probably better than buying and rolling your own. 

If you don't partake much, talk to the guys at the counter and get them to sort you out an appropriate strength. And try not to do what I did and white out on someone's doorstep! :D

They've seen it all before, so if they offer you an orange juice then take it - they probably know what's coming before you do! 

Haha oh dear! Blatantly going to me that. Which doorstep was it? I'll try to avoid it!

I'll be sure to remember all this advice in particular :)

On 12/07/2016 at 9:16 AM, Quark said:

Loving your thinking there Guy old son!

Spoke to my brother in law at the weekend (he's the one going to Benicassim for 40th next year instead of Glasto), said I was in for ticket day and well up for having a solo crack at 2017.  He reckons he'd hate it on his own, which got me to wondering...

How much of the enjoyment of Glastonbury is down to sharing it with people you know, and how much is about enjoying your own thing without constraints and losing yourself in a crowd of unknown but like-minded strangers?

I'm finding myself thinking that going solo will (a) force me to talk to other people, which I'm generally terrible at in life anyway, and (b) encourage me to actually get down into the dancing crowds for more sets and let go of my Hugh Grant-esque Englisness. Be fun to find out!

ummm im pritty sure id never be able to do glasto solol ....i need to have me wife with me or things would go down hill fast lol

but each person can handle things that others cant ....i personally love having my mates at glasto were quite a large bunch and even tho we all do different things at glasto were all there and thats what matters imo.

i love that hugh grant bit lol

3 hours ago, djdavejohnson said:

Evening all, seeing as trips away are being discussed, I'm heading to Amsterdam, Lanzarote and Thailand between September and November (I'm not normally so lucky - Amsterdam is a surprise weekend break for my partner for a bigger birthday, Nan decided she wanted to take the family away as we haven't been away as a family for about 15 years, and Thailand is my and my partners annual holiday that we've both had to work a lot of overtime for to be able to afford!) - has anybody been to either of those? And if so do you have any tips you wouldn't mind sharing?

Many thanks! :)

went to Thailand a few years back, but it was a week on the beach at Koh Samui at the back end of a month's jaunt around s.e asia.  i've not seen much of the country.

been the the Dam a few times.  i like a smoke and wandering round the town and the museums, eating sweet pastries, so that's my experience of the city.  oh, and i had a load of mushrooms last time too which was the first trippy stuff i'd done in years.  great fun, even if i haven't felt like repeating it since.

never been to Lanzarote.

6 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

went to Thailand a few years back, but it was a week on the beach at Koh Samui at the back end of a month's jaunt around s.e asia.  i've not seen much of the country.

been the the Dam a few times.  i like a smoke and wandering round the town and the museums, eating sweet pastries, so that's my experience of the city.  oh, and i had a load of mushrooms last time too which was the first trippy stuff i'd done in years.  great fun, even if i haven't felt like repeating it since.

never been to Lanzarote.

I've heard Koh Samui is supposed to be a really nice place to visit? 

Amsterdam is beginning to sound like it may be quite the adventure :)

Just now, Quark said:

I am definitely wanting to visit Amsterdam again after reading this... need to be knowing exactly where to go!!! Somehow my coffee shop tour with the girls ended up being just that.. a coffee shop tour 

30 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Whereabouts on Koh Samui did you go yeti? We spent a week at a little group of jungle huts in the hills above Chaweng Noi. It was fab after a week of hustle and bustle in Bangkok, and a week touring the Angkor temples in Cambodia. 

18 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Whereabouts on Koh Samui did you go yeti? We spent a week at a little group of jungle huts in the hills above Chaweng Noi. It was fab after a week of hustle and bustle in Bangkok, and a week touring the Angkor temples in Cambodia. 

honestly i don't remember!  we'd been on a pretty hectic tour around Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam (never seen so many fucking Buddhist temples).  by the time i got to Thailand i was just happy to park myself on a sun lounger and have drinks brought to me.  i'll have to ask the family if they can remember where we were!

i did see Angkor too though, i remember that bit :D 

6 hours ago, lucyginger said:

I've read so much about midges now, I think we'll just have to chance it as it doesnt seem to be conclusive, but mid September or May seem to be ok. Bit like the weather though,  completely unpredictable! 

Gold panning sounds fun! 

Gold panning in Scotland is more meditative than lucrative.  We were hoping to get enough to make a wedding ring (about 5 grams),  but without resorting to really destructive methods we could only get about a tenth of that in 4 years of visits.  So we resorted to H Samuel instead! 

Morning folks and folkesses, thought I'd weigh into the Amsterdam conversation. Up until a couple of years ago I used to spend every summer for a few years working in the Dutch sector of the North sea and used to visit Amsterdam regularly. Things to do have been mentioned already, hire a bike for an unhurried and leisurely way to explore the city. Just remember what yours looks like, there are thousands of them! Canal tours are great and you can buy a hop on, hop off ticket but I'd recommend one in the evening as the City comes to life that includes dinner. These usually last between two to two and a half hours depending on which you go for and how many courses. Don't spend all your time in coffee shops, they are great to visit for the experience but predictably you can literally waste hours in there...

If you are interested in a little culture then the Rijksmuseum is well worth a visit, it's located in Amsterdam South near the Van Gogh museum and easily reached by any of the local transport including boat and bike. The Anne Frank House is definitely worth a visit and is a very sobering experience.

For evening entertainment I can wholeheartedly recommend Boom Chicago which is a comedy club in the Jordaan area. Think a cross between stand up and 'whose line is it anyway' type improvisation. You can also get dinner there and I can honestly say I've never had a bad night there.

Finally no trip to Amsterdam is complete without a walk round the Red Light district. Cheesy? Yes. A bizarrely surreal experience? Absolutely. Just be sure to explore the alleyways and side streets leading off the main area where some of the more, shall we say 'niche' tastes can be catered for!

Alternatively, forget all that and sit outside a cafe in Dam Square and watch the world go by! One of my favourite things to do in the city.:)

Shaun.

Morning all,

There is a round ball of fire in the sky again and it's due to stay for the weekend, kayaks are on the roof of the car and the beach is beckoning.

But first there is a 'legends' gig in a park tonight for charity , so after work meeting with a group a buddies to watch odyssey , tribute to queen, Marc almond, billy Ocean and Human League .... Should be a giggle as it's the one time I can get a huge of friends together to watch live music lol 

have a great day everyone

FFx

1 hour ago, MilkyJoe said:

Morning folks and folkesses, thought I'd weigh into the Amsterdam conversation. Up until a couple of years ago I used to spend every summer for a few years working in the Dutch sector of the North sea and used to visit Amsterdam regularly. Things to do have been mentioned already, hire a bike for an unhurried and leisurely way to explore the city. Just remember what yours looks like, there are thousands of them! Canal tours are great and you can buy a hop on, hop off ticket but I'd recommend one in the evening as the City comes to life that includes dinner. These usually last between two to two and a half hours depending on which you go for and how many courses. Don't spend all your time in coffee shops, they are great to visit for the experience but predictably you can literally waste hours in there...

If you are interested in a little culture then the Rijksmuseum is well worth a visit, it's located in Amsterdam South near the Van Gogh museum and easily reached by any of the local transport including boat and bike. The Anne Frank House is definitely worth a visit and is a very sobering experience.

For evening entertainment I can wholeheartedly recommend Boom Chicago which is a comedy club in the Jordaan area. Think a cross between stand up and 'whose line is it anyway' type improvisation. You can also get dinner there and I can honestly say I've never had a bad night there.

Finally no trip to Amsterdam is complete without a walk round the Red Light district. Cheesy? Yes. A bizarrely surreal experience? Absolutely. Just be sure to explore the alleyways and side streets leading off the main area where some of the more, shall we say 'niche' tastes can be catered for!

Alternatively, forget all that and sit outside a cafe in Dam Square and watch the world go by! One of my favourite things to do in the city.:)

Shaun.

Morning Shaun, that's great many thanks for all the advice there. Visiting the Anne Frank House is definitely something that's already on the itinerary, and I'll be sure to check out at least one of the art museums.  Boom Chicago sounds fun so may well check that out!

Thanks again, and thank you everyone else for all your views :)

36 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Morning Shaun, that's great many thanks for all the advice there. Visiting the Anne Frank House is definitely something that's already on the itinerary, and I'll be sure to check out at least one of the art museums.  Boom Chicago sounds fun so may well check that out!

Thanks again, and thank you everyone else for all your views :)

Buy times tckets before you go to the Anne Frank museum and way in advance. We didn;t and queued 2 hours to get in and thats average, timed tickets have a different, much much shorter queue. At a push they do release some timed tickets the day before but you have to be lucky and flexible on your timings

Its amazing, humbling and I thought it was worth the wait

Bols (the liquer makers) have a museum where you can see the history of cocktail making etc, the price of entry includes 2 cocktails so worth an hour or so and its right opposite another museum (can't remember the name of it) where on Fridays (maybe just a few fridays a month) you can wander the museum at night for free with live music/bands playing and a bar- its a great way to spend a few hours

Amsterdam is an amazing city

27 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Buy times tckets before you go to the Anne Frank museum and way in advance. We didn;t and queued 2 hours to get in and thats average, timed tickets have a different, much much shorter queue. At a push they do release some timed tickets the day before but you have to be lucky and flexible on your timings

Its amazing, humbling and I thought it was worth the wait

Bols (the liquer makers) have a museum where you can see the history of cocktail making etc, the price of entry includes 2 cocktails so worth an hour or so and its right opposite another museum (can't remember the name of it) where on Fridays (maybe just a few fridays a month) you can wander the museum at night for free with live music/bands playing and a bar- its a great way to spend a few hours

Amsterdam is an amazing city

Ah yes I did read about those queues - I'll book a timed slot before I set off.

That sounds rather cool re the night time museum exploring, will definitely have a look into that!

I've seen that you can buy 3-day rail/tram cards for €25, I'm thinking these might be useful especially as we'll be traveling to the hotel from the airport. The hotel is located just outside the city centre, maybe 2-3km, so I'm guessing over the 3 days it should pay for itself? Not really sure what the local individual prices are like but the price seems reasonable.

2 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Have to say I'm not a fan of the RLD wander myself Shaun, just find it all a bit depressing really!  Although the purple lights are certainly, as you put it, niche!

However, watching the world go by is definitely worthwhile.  I just love wandering in Amsterdam!