NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

2 hours ago, mr gumby said:

You and H.M.V. are going to have to educate me on this dark and stormy business. Rum is one area of booziness I don't know much about, even though I like it. 

Oh man, the fun we'll have Gumby!

I'm learning my rum at the moment. I was lucky enough to have a top notch barman tonight who liked to talk about and share his love of rum. Got introduced to a beautiful Guyanan 15 year old rum tonight, and I can safely say it was bloody wonderful.

I'll be carrying a variation of it with me for the weekend, but I'll make sure I bring a decent set of ingredients to the NFR meet :)

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was working down in Trinidad a few years back, on my way home I bought a bottle of Bacardi 151. At 75% alcohol it's the only bottle of spirits I've ever seen with a flame arrestor on the neck! I had to put it in the hold as technically it could be classed as a bomb! Fuck me that stuff could make your nose bleed. Still got half a bottle stashed away somewhere.

6 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

When I was working down in Trinidad a few years back, on my way home I bought a bottle of Bacardi 151. At 75% alcohol it's the only bottle of spirits I've ever seen with a flame arrestor on the neck! I had to put it in the hold as technically it could be classed as a bomb! Fuck me that stuff could make your nose bleed. Still got half a bottle stashed away somewhere.

Wasn't Bacardi, but he fed me some 75.5% lunacy earlier. Once the (substantial) burn faded it was lovely.

If I may make a recommendation to my fellow NFR NFC crew, try to find a bar where the barman knows his stuff and is on his last shift before leaving. Everyone wins.

Edited by Quark

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

Wasn't Bacardi, but he fed me some 75.5% lunacy earlier. Once the (substantial) burn faded it was lovely.

If I may make a recommendation to my fellow NFR NFC crew, try to find a bar where the barman knows his stuff and is on his last shift before leaving. Everyone wins.

Yeah this was the same buddy, once you get past that you initial 'fucking hell, I'm drinking acid' it has a lovely smooth taste. Just not designed for anything more than a couple to savour.

Urban dictionary describes it very well...:lol:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bacardi 151

Lol. I used to drink the moonshine rum in Jamaica called Jonko Batty which roughly translated to blackbirds arse cos it smelt so bad. Seriously potent shit! Not sure what proof but pretty fucking high. 

I've been saying for ages rum will be the next big trend like gin. You heard it here first. :D

14 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

I can believe that, rum has been steadily growing in popularity over the last few years.

Try telling that to the fuckers running offies in Ireland. Can't get a decent dark rum for love nor money and I love my dark and stormies. 

15 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

I love rum! The stepfather and I often try out a different rum each time he visits. Can't remember the last one but it was from Barbados 30 yr old. Lovely with a squeeze of lime on ice. 

Dark and stormy, I'm sure I've made it for you when you came to mine? Dark rum ( not spiced ye heathen) ginger BEER not ale ye heathens. Lots of ice and wedges of lime then I like to splash some angostura bitters cos that shit os all kinds of awesome.

Edited to add the ye/you not aimed a CG or anyone in particular. Just a general you to heathens out there of which there are many

Edited by H.M.V

9 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Dark and stormy, I'm sure I've made it for you when you came to mine? Dark rum ( not spiced ye heathen) ginger BEER not ale ye heathens. Lots of ice and wedges of lime then I like to splash some angostura bitters cos that shit os all kinds of awesome.

Edited to add the ye/you not aimed a CG or anyone in particular. Just a general you to heathens out there of which there are many

joining this late and not scrolling back - but saw the mention of rum....

Have you tried Dark Matter rum.....holy shit it is the nectar of the gods (ok its made locally to me  - so I might be a little biased) - makes amazing dark and stormy's and just a general drink with some ginger - it is amazing!!!!

15 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

The other day I was drinking rum and listening to grime.

Dark and Stormzy!

Haha, I just made that up.

I'm here all week...

4 minutes ago, pauladam said:

joining this late and not scrolling back - but saw the mention of rum....

Have you tried Dark Matter rum.....holy shit it is the nectar of the gods (ok its made locally to me  - so I might be a little biased) - makes amazing dark and stormy's and just a general drink with some ginger - it is amazing!!!!

Please tell me more? And where do you live to be so close to an amazing rum and are you bringing some to Glasters my new besssie mate? ;)

Just now, H.M.V said:

Please tell me more? And where do you live to be so close to an amazing rum and are you bringing some to Glasters my new besssie mate? ;)

firstly it is a spiced rum (sorry), but do not let that put you off - its distilled in Banchory (about 15 miles from where I live - Scotland's only rum distillery

http://www.darkmatterdistillers.com/

I will be bringing some of it again - but you'll have to be quick - it will vanish quick - if I dont make the efests meet - it will likely be its fault!

Dark rum, dash of coke, lime wedges, brown sugar round the rim and a shit load of ice, was my go-to summer drink for years and years. Might revive that at Glasto!

Used to love Sailor Jerry's spiced, until they weirdly changed the recipe to contain vanilla all of a sudden...

More of a bourbon man these days.

Ahhh. Booze. Nice ay it.

9 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Dark rum, dash of coke, lime wedges, brown sugar round the rim and a shit load of ice, was my go-to summer drink for years and years. Might revive that at Glasto!

Used to love Sailor Jerry's spiced, until they weirdly changed the recipe to contain vanilla all of a sudden...

More of a bourbon man these days.

Ahhh. Booze. Nice ay it.

Sailor jerry I'm sure was the only hangover in a bottle you can get in Ireland or a plethora of spiced rum. I want dark rum non spiced for stormy. Gingerbeer is plenty spice for that. 

1 hour ago, Drabod said:

I seem to lurk these forums far to much, So thought id have a post. This will be my second glasto, Im Rob and going with lewis lewis & lewis..... lol. The dreams have started lots.

All welcome here Rob, the main reason is to praise the weather gods but as I'm sure you've worked out there is no subject too bizarre. Generally we just talk shit! I have no idea if that's 2 Lewis' or 3 you're going with by the way. It could even be a family firm of solicitors?

Edited by MilkyJoe

7 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Sailor jerry I'm sure was the only hangover in a bottle you can get in Ireland or a plethora of spiced rum. I want dark rum non spiced for stormy. Gingerbeer is plenty spice for that. 

Goslings dark rum mmmm from Bermuda , where the dark n stormy originated. I was out there for two weeks last year with work , they do frozen version mmmmm and a dark n very stormy which is made with ginger mmmm can't remember. What I do remember is  drinking far too many of them on Bermuda day, plus the ginger should go in first and then the rum and don't stir , and they sell Dark n stormy in cans (lush ) .... Oh and I don't think its legal in America (or somewhere ) to call a dark n stormy a dark n stormy unless it's made with goslings dark rum

thank goodness goslings is in the supermarket and I can keep a stock lol 

Is it too early for one now ? 

6 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

All welcome here Rob, the main reason is to praise the weather gods but as I'm sure you've worked out there is no subject too bizarre. Generally we just talk shit! I have no idea if that's 2 Lewis' or 3 you're going with by the way. It could even be a family firm of solicitors?

Its gonna be a scorcher this year. 3 lewis' it seems that i am the odd one out.