Other Stage 2017

Gucci Piggy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's alt-J and The xx that are constantly switching between Friday Pyramid sub and Sunday Other headliner in my mind. They're too similar to make the call. :P

it probably doesn't actually matter but Alt-J are a little too similar to Radiohead to sub them in my eyes - kind of like getting Biffy to sub Foos or Paolo to sub Sheeran. not necessarily the same but in the same ballpark. although i'd kind of forgotten about Alt-J. for some reason the Other headline slot seemed to make more sense in my head in 2015 than now (probably make more sense when they release something) but they must be in with a shot at it after doing the Pyramid last time

2 minutes ago, James96 said:

This might sound like I'm clutching at something here, but a later Other headliner slot would work well for the live set design they're going for on this tour. With all the light projections, for songs like 8 circle and stuff.

which is why it'd make sense for them to headline Other, as they're headlining every other fest so would make sense to not have to change that up at Glastonbury as a one off

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

yeah i didn't like sticking Paolo in there but he was the first one that sprung to my mind in the 'too obvious Sheeran sub' category

George Ezra! Although maybe sub is pushing it for him, at least until this next album's been out for a year. I can see a Sunday Pyramid top five of Clean Bandit > Diana Ross > George Ezra > Lady Gaga > Ed Sheeran. Would be the most mainstream Pyramid day in history but it'd work.

Anyway I'd say Weller subbing The Who last year indicates this is a non-issue.

Edited by Zac Quinn

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

it probably doesn't actually matter but Alt-J are a little too similar to Radiohead to sub them in my eyes - kind of like getting Biffy to sub Foos or Paolo to sub Sheeran. not necessarily the same but in the same ballpark. although i'd kind of forgotten about Alt-J. for some reason the Other headline slot seemed to make more sense in my head in 2015 than now (probably make more sense when they release something) but they must be in with a shot at it after doing the Pyramid last time

Maybe. Tbf I was oversimplifying that it being between those two slots - it's likely (tho not imposs) that alt-J wouldn't be available Saturday but that aside (and probably Friday Other aside) either band could play Pyramid sub or Other headline any night. Could both do the same slot on diff nights.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Maybe. Tbf I was oversimplifying that it being between those two slots - it's likely (tho not imposs) that alt-J wouldn't be available Saturday but that aside (and probably Friday Other aside) either band could play Pyramid sub or Other headline any night. Could both do the same slot on diff nights.

i'm doing this based on the assumption that Bon Iver is definitely gonna headline Other, so both The xx and Alt-J doing it doesn't seem all too likely in my eyes. would be a bit of a gloomier than usual set of Other headliners, that - one of them needs to be a dance act

Edited by FloorFiller

22 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

which is why it'd make sense for them to headline Other, as they're headlining every other fest so would make sense to not have to change that up at Glastonbury as a one off

Paulo and Sheeran are nothing alike! Paulo is pants for one ;P

Think Bon could easily go lower than Other headliner

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

Are we expecting a new Alt-J record first half of next year then?

I think so, they're meant to be playing Coachella so I think we'll have at least a single around then. I remember reading someone on (I think) the R&L forum saying that they had a new song out in January and I've read elsewhere that there's meant to be an album out in June but no idea if either of those are true.

17 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I think so, they're meant to be playing Coachella so I think we'll have at least a single around then. I remember reading someone on (I think) the R&L forum saying that they had a new song out in January and I've read elsewhere that there's meant to be an album out in June but no idea if either of those are true.

Thanks, it's looking like 2017 is shaping up to be another great year musically. 

On 12/14/2016 at 9:41 AM, Scruffylovemonster said:

Pet Shop Boys (seeing as gazza didn't actually answer you). 

On 12/14/2016 at 10:09 AM, eFestivals said:

word I've heard is that was their own choice - they picked what they felt were the best slots for them as a band, rather than going for the highest slots they could have had. For Glasto, they wanted to avoid being against Adele.

Ah, how unusual. Explains a lot tbf, but what an odd thing for a band to do. I get the whole 'we're not ready to headline yet' approach bands can take, but intentionally picking lower slots at numerous places just seems weird. Guess what it means though is they're more likely to have the sub headlining slots people expected this summer, next time they come around. 

Is headlining other where they defo would've gone btw? Woulda been interesting to see what that would've done to the rest of the line up

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The first act to headline "the Other Stage" was Reef, I believe. Where did you get the expectation of stature or quality?

In the intervening years the quality and stature has, generally, improved. See New Order and LCD this year. 

I assume Disclosure were booked after 19 and the 75 lads said they didn't want to headline? 

6 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

In the intervening years the quality and stature has, generally, improved. See New Order and LCD this year. 

I assume Disclosure were booked after 19 and the 75 lads said they didn't want to headline? 

I would imagine that high benchmark of quality and stature World in Motion and the lads were drafted into headline if The 1975 didn't want to play opposite Adele.

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I would imagine that high benchmark of quality and stature World in Motion and the lads were drafted into headline if The 1975 didn't want to play opposite Adele.

Gillian would not approve of that, have some respect :-)

I am a bit dubious about this 1975 info. They headlined the other stage at Lollapaloozza in Berlin this year up against Radiohead.

New Order were booked well in advance to headline the other stage. 

5 hours ago, eastynh said:

Gillian would not approve of that, have some respect :-)

I am a bit dubious about this 1975 info. They headlined the other stage at Lollapaloozza in Berlin this year up against Radiohead.

New Order were booked well in advance to headline the other stage. 

Yes but that doesn't mean they weren't in talks with The 1975 at the same time and agreements were made. I don't think The 1975 would have done above sub anyway but I guess they think the crowd early on that would gather for Adele. I don't think New Order having subbed would have been out of place.

17 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Yes but that doesn't mean they weren't in talks with The 1975 at the same time and agreements were made. I don't think The 1975 would have done above sub anyway but I guess they think the crowd early on that would gather for Adele. I don't think New Order having subbed would have been out of place.

aye i think they were probably meant to sub originally but, as you say, knew they'd lose some of their crowd to people getting a spot for Adele so asked to be moved down a slot (if the Adele thing is correct). doubt they were ever considered for all out Other headliner, even though they probably could've done it at a stretch

23 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It would not have been fair on the 1975 if they had followed New Order. 

edit - none of that matters anyway. This years festival has passed. Roll on 2017.

Edited by eastynh

7 hours ago, eastynh said:

I am a bit dubious about this 1975 info.

you're allowed to be and it might be wrong, tho I don't get much more certain about things I hear than I am about this.

From what I heard, Glasto wasn't the only UK fest this year where they got themselves moved to a different spot because they felt it would be a better slot for them.

The best slot isn't necessarily the highest slot, if you care about more than how big your name is on a poster.