Preparing for mud...

Angelab0409

I was at Glastonbury last week so know about rain and mud!

I bought a gortex coat to go with and it really worked. I've been to t a few times and have always used a shower proof jacket but the one with gortex was so much better.  Luckily I bought mine in a sale so it was half price.

As for the mud, I wore shorts with wellies. I found it much easier to just flick or brush off the mud when it dried. Much better than jeans that can get heavy when they're wet.

Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, Angelab0409 said:

I've just been an bought a load of disposable ponchos and clothes are in carrier bags in my rucksack. How else do you prepare for the rain and mud?  

let's hope this drys off a little bit, really do not want another 2012! 

Was pissing down from late morning but the forecast is for much drier weather from tomorrow*. Fingers crossed :)

* I realise the forecasts are normally wrong :(

10 minutes ago, Lor1 said:

Am I reading that right Friday's to be good but Saturday and Sunday's to be pissing down

Looks like it :(

Although, on a more positive note, the BBC weather site for Auchterarder shows Friday as OK, Saturday as light rain showers with sunny intervals, and Sunday as light cloud, so hopefully, although it may be a bit on the damp side, it might not be actually 'pissing down'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2656803

Edited by Copperface
add

6 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Looks like it :(

Although, on a more positive note, the BBC weather site for Auchterarder shows Friday as OK, Saturday as light rain showers with sunny intervals, and Sunday as light cloud, so hopefully, although it may be a bit on the damp side, it might not be actually 'pissing down'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2656803

Sounds better al go with that one :)

46 minutes ago, Lor1 said:

Am I reading that right Friday's to be good but Saturday and Sunday's to be pissing down

I probably wouldn't class it in the "pissing down" category. 1mm of rain in a 3 hour period isn't much if anything at all. You will get wetter with the splashback from the urinals probably. I think at those levels its almost more moisture in the air and a potential of some light rain but may come to nothing.

Thats a decent site and has been pretty much accurate with a number of events I have been to over the last couple of years in UK and overseas. As we get closer to weekend the upcoming 3 days appear in the "Superforecast" tab which gives an hour by hour breakdown. It should be more accurate than the normal daily. .

The superforecast actually has Thursday, at the moment, as being no rain at all from 2 in the morning and a steady 17 most of the day, good for those arriving to camp.

Edited by crowie
updated

By the looks of t in the parks official snapchat and peoples Instagram posts the ground looks absolutely sound.  

Weather hasn't been too bad in Glasgow yesterday and today it's still dry so finger crossed it stays like this!

throwing in an emergency downpour outfit and I'm good to go. Enjoy T everyone.

1 minute ago, Angelab0409 said:

By the looks of t in the parks official snapchat and peoples Instagram posts the ground looks absolutely sound.  

Throw 70,000 people on top of it, then see how sound it is.  Given the rain over the last few weeks, its going to cut up with the slightest bit of rain over the weekend.

Still won't make the blindest bit of difference though.  Wellies on and no one will care about the mud.

6 minutes ago, StevieMcK said:

Throw 70,000 people on top of it, then see how sound it is.  Given the rain over the last few weeks, its going to cut up with the slightest bit of rain over the weekend.

Still won't make the blindest bit of difference though.  Wellies on and no one will care about the mud.

Aye I know but looking back to 2012 and the biblical mud and rain the site was already a waterlogged muddy hell before folk arrived. 

Take waterproofs, wellies, sunscreen etc 

if glastonbury is anything to go by the weather can change in minutes and the forecasts can be so wrong.

dont ruin the festival for yourself by being underprepared

3 hours ago, blue6field said:

Take waterproofs, wellies, sunscreen etc 

if glastonbury is anything to go by the weather can change in minutes and the forecasts can be so wrong.

dont ruin the festival for yourself by being underprepared

Packed, wrapped and ready to go.........

IMG_0165.JPG

4 hours ago, Angelab0409 said:

Aye I know but looking back to 2012 and the biblical mud and rain the site was already a waterlogged muddy hell before folk arrived. 

I would probably disagree with that Angela. The Friday in 2012 was mainly fine from my memory and rain didn't really come until I was going to see New Order in Tuts towards the end of the night. However it did p down from then onwards and was p'ing down when I arrived back on the Saturday morning. I remember sitting in Transmissions Tent waiting for Jake Bugg to come on and watching the water run into the tent as it was on a slight slope. From there on it was absolute carnage, I was in tents most of afternoon and by time went to see Vaccines on main stage it was biblical mud indeed. Shows how quickly that even just a fair bit of rain and plenty footfall on the ground can churn things up.

Superforecast on Windfinder has a bit of rain this evening (just started raining in Edinburgh but thats a fair way away) but, more importantly, dry and decent sun all day Thursday and Friday. 

4 hours ago, blue6field said:
11 minutes ago, crowie said:

I would probably disagree with that Angela. The Friday in 2012 was mainly fine from my memory and rain didn't really come until I was going to see New Order in Tuts towards the end of the night. However it did p down from then onwards and was p'ing down when I arrived back on the Saturday morning. I remember sitting in Transmissions Tent waiting for Jake Bugg to come on and watching the water run into the tent as it was on a slight slope. From there on it was absolute carnage, I was in tents most of afternoon and by time went to see Vaccines on main stage it was biblical mud indeed. Shows how quickly that even just a fair bit of rain and plenty footfall on the ground can churn things up.

Superforecast on Windfinder has a bit of rain this evening (just started raining in Edinburgh but thats a fair way away) but, more importantly, dry and decent sun all day Thursday and Friday. 

What about Saturday and Sunday mate?

Do you think I could get away with no wearing wellies?

Hate the things.

1 hour ago, crowie said:

The Friday wasn't so bad but it has been raining non stop for a week leading up to it. Pretty sure if I remember right they had issues with putting stages up because it was so muddy. Even in 2011 I was really nice up till the Sunday morning if I remember right and it just turned into a mud fest so quickly. With how bad the new arena was last year at least it wasn't muddy, it worries me a bit how it's going to cope compared to balado. 

Pissing down in Glasgow again today... I spoke to soon, packing today so extra socks, extra hoody and another hat is going right in the bag. 

5 hours ago, Angelab0409 said:

The Friday wasn't so bad but it has been raining non stop for a week leading up to it. Pretty sure if I remember right they had issues with putting stages up because it was so muddy. Even in 2011 I was really nice up till the Sunday morning if I remember right and it just turned into a mud fest so quickly. With how bad the new arena was last year at least it wasn't muddy, it worries me a bit how it's going to cope compared to balado. 

Pissing down in Glasgow again today... I spoke to soon, packing today so extra socks, extra hoody and another hat is going right in the bag. 

Yep fair point on the build up to 2012. I've got some pics from Friday 2012 earlier in day and ground is a wee bit churned although weather dry. The constant rain from Friday evening then destroyed what was left of any grass!

2011 was brutal. Again I've got pics of me and mates in sunshine early Sunday afternoon. I actually remember rain came as we were on way to main to watch Blondi, we stood for a bit but had to leave and ended up sheltering in a breast cancer awareness stall with a woman dressed in a giant breast suit! That was a first! The only year I went home early, left about 7 soaked through as hadn't been prepared for such heavy rain. 

4 hours ago, harryomatic said:

Lor - you're definitely going to need wellies mate. Meant to be OK Thursday and Friday, but lots of rain on Saturday before going back to ok on Sunday. 

Would agree with that. Unless T has had a completely dry week and has no rain at all forecast I would never go with trainers now, always wellies. 

Just been watching Geoff Ellis driving round whole site on a golf buggy on Facebook. First thoughts are layout looks far bigger than last year and hopefully that helps ground as everyone not trudging the same paths repeatedly. 

Friday looks canny, but Saturday, and especially Saturday through the night, look like a bit of a 'mare.

Sunday's not brilliant either, but will be past caring by then....

Waterproof socks and trousers packed just in case :)