When are you too old for Leeds?

MadScientist

Never been to Leeds but I have been to many a Reading Festival. I'm guessing they are very similar.  

I was 17 when I first attended Reading  - I didn't miss a year there after until I was 29. It was about that time I started to feel a bit old for that kind of festival.

You have nothing to worry about yet :) 

Edited by Henrik

1 hour ago, MadScientist said:

I've been going to Leeds since 2011 and I'm 21 and last year was very aware that people were usually younger than me - as its a festival mainly for people aged 16-19. At what age do you become too old for Leeds? 

I 'felt' too old at Reading in 2014. I think it could be that we ended up camping with  a group of 16/17 year olds who were throwing shit (actual shit) around. We would  go back but go for a calmer camping option. 

I'm 28 and down to day tickets now. Perfectly happy with camping generally (loved Glasto even in the mud, doing Y Not? in a few weeks) but must say I'm starting to feel a bit ancient compared to your average Leeds goer.

Maybe I should change my (awful) username set by 16 year old me in 2004!

On 7/4/2016 at 3:07 PM, devilman said:

I'm 50 and don't feel too old. I'm past normal camping though, it's bad enough walking through it from the campervan field :)

In 25 years I hope to have this same attitude towards it! I'm pretty sure I'll go until I can't (only 9 years in so far though)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 45 and having been doing festivals for decades now.

I now come to Leeds with my mate who's a similar age and my sons who are 22 and 18 and their mates.

I don't get in mosh pits any more. I'm usually the old guy stood near the burger bar at the back. You may have seen me. ( I have a Toy Story Alien Hat on constantly )

Another friend of mine is in her 40s and comes to Leeds with her MUM.

Do I feel too old for Leeds? Only on the Monday morning!

Not Leeds but I'm 50 next year and my first Reading Festival was 1989.  I went every year until 1994 when marriage, grown-up life and a family intervened.  I then started back in 2013 when my daughters were old enough to appreciate it.  I'll be there again this year (but in the 'posh camping' as I need showers and sleep).

When I started going it wasn't as 'young' as it is these days - there were only two stages and the comedy tent then so band choice was more limited.  Hence the 'older' demographic back then.

If you love music, why would you stop?  It's just your own experience of it that changes.

I'm 42 and don't feel too old. My mates are mid 40s but reckon we have another 10 years in us! 

I will opening up the pits for Parkway, Slaves and Frank Carter!

Saying all of that, we do camp on the camper van field which is a bit more civilised and you can actually get a decent nights sleep. 

Edited by she bangs the drums
Add comment

Im 34, I went to Leeds every year from 2003-2008, started going when I was 21. I went for a day last year for the first time since 2011 and really enjoyed it so im doing Friday/Saturday.

I don't feel too old but could never camp at Leeds again, that's just due to being spoiled by the late night delights of Glastonbury so Id be bored shitless once the bands end at Leeds.

The only thing that bothered me last year was the change in crowd mentality. When I was a regular in my 20's the crowds really went for it, the younger crowds last year seemed more reserved and also more interested in taking selfies, sitting on camping chairs in the pit (on a Friday), and talking in the pit during the headliners.

If the lineups good enough I can see my doing day ticjkets/hotels at Leeds well into my 40's, age is just a number.