Rock Werchter 2017

Red Day

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo, first time ever posting so apologies if this has been cleared up previously in this thread!

However, how many more bands are likely to be announced? (I'm assuming around 25) and what kind of caliber will they be? I'm not expecting anything incredible to be announced in these later stages, but it would be nice to have a bit of an idea.

Cheers lads/ladies 

8 minutes ago, Jimmerz95 said:

However, how many more bands are likely to be announced? (I'm assuming around 25) and what kind of caliber will they be? I'm not expecting anything incredible to be announced in these later stages, but it would be nice to have a bit of an idea.

Good afternoon Jimmerz, 

Welcome to the forum! :-)

I think you're about right. We've had 49 acts including the two announced this week. 
2016 there were 75, 2015 - 80 and 2014 - 79 so yeah around 25 - 27ish to still be announced.

Looking at how they've been announced in the past it's usually done in the next couple of weeks so if they're doing it in a similar time frame we'll either get 10 in the next two weeks, as well as the local ones this week or one a day. Who knows what they have up their sleeves?! 

Just now, jlillycrop said:

Good afternoon Jimmerz, 

I think you're about right. We've had 49 acts including the two announced this week. 
2016 there were 75, 2015 - 80 and 2014 - 79 so yeah around 25 - 27ish to still be announced.

Looking at how they've been announced in the past it's usually done in the next couple of weeks so if they're doing it in a similar time frame we'll either get 10 in the next two weeks, as well as the local ones this week or one a day. Who knows what they have up their sleeves?! 

I'd expect 80 this year. No football to cause any distractions like the Euros last year :)

5 minutes ago, jlillycrop said:

Ah that's interesting - did they show the games at the festival?!? I didn't realise that.

I'm pretty sure they showed the Belgian games in the barn and on screens around the festival. I remember there being one day with substantialy less artists in the barn. I remember the Belgium Wales game being something of a distraction during the offsprings set!

3 minutes ago, jlillycrop said:

Good afternoon Jimmerz, 

2 minutes ago, McCallion said:

I'd expect 80 this year. No football to cause any distractions like the Euros last year :)

Ahh thanks guys! I'm looking forward to this festival more than any I've been to before! I've never been to Werchter

Might be worth mentioning I've been to:
Reading Festival: 13,14,16
Isle of Wight fest: 14,15
Glastonbury: 16
Hyde Park (The Strokes): 15

May I ask; what kind of level do you expect this last quarter of acts to be like? Like, will there be any mainsteam names?

13 minutes ago, Jimmerz95 said:

May I ask; what kind of level do you expect this last quarter of acts to be like? Like, will there be any mainsteam names?

Ah nice one - no stranger to festivals then.

My personal opinion is that it's anyones guess. May be worth reading back through a couple of pages to look at everyone's guesses but it needs to be remembered that everything on here is just people's opinions (even though some are more educated than others).  I think it'll probably be a mix, one or two more mainstream names but then more up and coming acts. There might be a few surprises that are waiting for contractual reasons but no big big names left (I mean the top end is huge this year).

In 2016 the last names to be announced were: - James Bay, Elle King, The London Souls, Blackberry Smoke, Alice On The Roof, Barns Courtney, Frightened Rabbit, and Bazart.

In 2015 the last names to be announced were: - Of Monsters and Men, FKA twigs, and Alabama Shakes plus Mumford and Sons as a headliner, but I think we're all confident all the headliners and subs are confirmed now. 

So a mix really but there have been other differences to how they've announced this year so, like I said - anyones guess. Let's wait and see on Friday!

Edited by jlillycrop

14 minutes ago, Jimmerz95 said:

There will be mainstream bands, it's a mainstream festival.

How big the names will be is very much open to debate...

Edited by thetime

I would expect a fair few "mid table" bands but i wouldn't expect anyone big to come (although that depends on your location as biffy would headline in the UK, but wouldn't be close in belgium)

Looking at the number of bands still to be announced a slightly different way, we have 3 stages to fill each day and the following acts per day.

Thursday: 14 acts (4.6 per stage)

Friday: 12 acts (4 per stage)

Saturday: 11 acts (3.6 per stage)

Sunday: 12 acts (4 per stage)

Now assuming that each stage has had an equal amount of names already announced is optimistic, but looking at the names so far that may be a fairly resonable assumption (discuss). That would mean we have roughly 3 main stage acts per day still to come and not all of these will be stage openers (we know that frank carter thinks he is opening the stage for example). Plus there are still plenty of good smaller options for the barn (still the likes of foster the people, sundara karma, circa waves all available), so i am optimistic!! (maybe overly optimistic, but we can all dream right!)

From the last few years the final announcements (last 30ish bands) were as follows:
2014: Fri 21 Feb - White Lies/Milow/Warpaint/Rodrigo Y Gabriela/Melanie De Biasio/Parov Stela Band/Reignwolf
Fri 28 Feb - Arsenal/Katy B/Daptone Super Soul Revue/Sam Smith/The Opposites/The Temperance Movement/Parquet Courts
Fri 21 Mar - Paolo Nutini/Bombay Bicycle Club/Lykke Li/Coley/Altrego/Radkey/Puggy/Jonny Lang/Twenty One Pilots/Kuroma/Tune-Yards/Ozark Henry/Royal Blood/Oscar & The Wolf

2015: Mon 2 Mar - Mumford & Sons
Fri 6 Mar - Patti Smith/Jessie J/The Vaccines/Other Lives/Gabriel Rois/Ibeyi
Fri 13 Mar - Selah Sue/Eagles of Death Metal/SBTRKT/Marmozets/Kovacs/Love To
Fri 20 Mar - John Newman/Lonely The Brave/FIDLAR/Tout Va Bien/Red Fang/JD McPherson/Maxi Jazz & The E-Type Boys
Fri 27 Mar - St Paul & The Broken Bones/Jack Garrett/Magnus/Ryan Adams/De Jeugd van Tegenwoordig
Fri 3 Apr - Catfish & The Bottlemen/CC Smugglers/Leon Bridges/Blaudzun

2016: Fri 26th Feb - Beck/Foals/The 1975/James Blake/Lianne La Havas/Flume/Lost Frequencies/The Van Jets/Kensington/Walk Off The Earth
Fri 3rd Mar - Goose/Puggy/The Strypes/Vintage Trouble/The Struts/Aurora/Ryan Bingham/Samm Henshaw/Blossoms/Mura Masa
Fri 11th Mar - James Bay/Elle King/The London Souls/Blackberry Smoke/Bazart/Alice On The Roof/Barns Courtney/Frightened Rabbit
Fri 1st Apr - MØ replaced by Alessia Cara

Edited by foolee

38 minutes ago, jlillycrop said:

Here's one I don't think has been mentioned... Lukas Graham? Seems to be popular in Belgium at the moment - plays at the Lotto Arena next week. Not at PKP (well, hasn't been announced yet).

A possibility? 

I would rather have someone else, seven years is one of the worst hits of 2016, along with cheap thrills. Btw, they are actually a band, it's not the name of the singer.

4 hours ago, foolee said:

From the last few years the final announcements (last 30ish bands) were as follows:
2014: Fri 21 Feb - White Lies/Milow/Warpaint/Rodrigo Y Gabriela/Melanie De Biasio/Parov Stela Band/Reignwolf
Fri 28 Feb - Arsenal/Katy B/Daptone Super Soul Revue/Sam Smith/The Opposites/The Temperance Movement/Parquet Courts
Fri 21 Mar - Paolo Nutini/Bombay Bicycle Club/Lykke Li/Coley/Altrego/Radkey/Puggy/Jonny Lang/Twenty One Pilots/Kuroma/Tune-Yards/Ozark Henry/Royal Blood/Oscar & The Wolf

2015: Mon 2 Mar - Mumford & Sons
Fri 6 Mar - Patti Smith/Jessie J/The Vaccines/Other Lives/Gabriel Rois/Ibeyi
Fri 13 Mar - Selah Sue/Eagles of Death Metal/SBTRKT/Marmozets/Kovacs/Love To
Fri 20 Mar - John Newman/Lonely The Brave/FIDLAR/Tout Va Bien/Red Fang/JD McPherson/Maxi Jazz & The E-Type Boys
Fri 27 Mar - St Paul & The Broken Bones/Jack Garrett/Magnus/Ryan Adams/De Jeugd van Tegenwoordig
Fri 3 Apr - Catfish & The Bottlemen/CC Smugglers/Leon Bridges/Blaudzun

2016: Fri 26th Feb - Beck/Foals/The 1975/James Blake/Lianne La Havas/Flume/Lost Frequencies/The Van Jets/Kensington/Walk Off The Earth
Fri 3rd Mar - Goose/Puggy/The Strypes/Vintage Trouble/The Struts/Aurora/Ryan Bingham/Samm Henshaw/Blossoms/Mura Masa
Fri 11th Mar - James Bay/Elle King/The London Souls/Blackberry Smoke/Bazart/Alice On The Roof/Barns Courtney/Frightened Rabbit
Fri 1st Apr - MØ replaced by Alessia Cara

Great work there, @foolee!

2014 edition was the first one they started announcing acts in weekly Friday announcements so that's a very good list! To all those who are worried about big(ger) names in those last 30ish bands: Mumford & Sons aside, you can see acts who played pretty biggish slots, subs or headliners of a stage  (Im not saying if the band is good or not, just mentioning the slots they played):

2014: Barn headliner (Arsenal) and sub (Warpaint, Lyyke Li), KluB C headliners (The Opposites) and sub(Katy B), Mainstage sub (Paolo Nutini).

2015:  KluB C headliner (De Jeugd van Tegenwoordig) and subs (SBTRKT, Selah Sue, Maxi Jazz, Gabriel Rois).

2016: Barn subs (Beck, Lyyke Li), KluB C headliners (James Blake, Puggy) and subs (The 1975, Lost Frequencies), Mainstage sub (Goose - albeit to a co-headliners).

Not bad I say ;)

Listening to Triggerfinger for the first time........ 10/10 they sound amazing. Where/when would you expect them to  play  in terms of the timetable or ''clashfinder''. I like your latest revision Neacaisa...... looks more realistic. I wasn't too happy about last weeks announcement but I had a listen and really liked: nothing but theives, glass animals, thought passenger were alright. I have to add I thought Birdy sounds amazing.....