Future headliners

swede

with a new album The xx could take a sub slot but nothing more. can see them doing that + headlining some smaller festivals on their return (Bestival probably). they seemed like they could rise to headliner status but the new album taking so long has probably slowed down their progress rising up lineups

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

with a new album The xx could take a sub slot but nothing more. can see them doing that + headlining some smaller festivals on their return (Bestival probably). they seemed like they could rise to headliner status but the new album taking so long has probably slowed down their progress rising up lineups

Or with the new album taking so long, there'll be increased hype for it nearer the release date, and they won't be at any risk of over saturation because they've been away for so long. That's the problem with acts progressively rising up festival lineups each year, most people will have already had plenty of chances to see them.

44 minutes ago, Vacant0 said:

Or with the new album taking so long, there'll be increased hype for it nearer the release date, and they won't be at any risk of over saturation because they've been away for so long. That's the problem with acts progressively rising up festival lineups each year, most people will have already had plenty of chances to see them.

i don't doubt that when it's announced there'll be an insane amount of hype behind it, but definitely not enough to shove them in to major festival headliner positions. Pyramid sub would be perfect for them imo. hope the album is worth the wait!

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Radiohead Subbed by the XX, does sound like a very good match doesn't it?

12 hours ago, Vacant0 said:

Seen some very strange ones in this thread so far, but then again, maybe the same could be said for my stab at it below:

MOST LIKELY:

Returning headliners

Radiohead

Beyonce

The Cure

Paul McCartney

Arcade Fire / Mumford & Sons / Arctic Monkeys / Kings of Leon / The Killers (I'm sure at least some of these will be back in the future)

New headliners (Long time big acts who've never done it)

Foo Fighters

Madonna (Have Glastonbury ever tried to get her? Does she even play festivals? Unless there's some reason to believe otherwise (?) - I can see it happening eventually - I think she's canny enough to realise the good will and extra sales she'd get from it)

The Stone Roses

Elton John (I know he did Bestival a few years back, which is obviously smaller, but is there any real reason why he wouldn't headline Glastonbury? Has he never been asked? He's got so many hits and he can still sing. That's good enough for me...)

Depeche Mode (Ok, they're much bigger internationally than in the UK so would probably be quite suited to the Other Stage, but if Glastonbury got them to agree to headline the Pyramid - and have I read right that they have tried to - why not? Would strike me as similar to the Neil Young booking a few years ago)

New headliners ('breakthrough' acts)

The xx - If a new album is as well received as their previous two, The xx will absolutely be ready to step up and headline. Just look at the amount of Spotify plays they've got if you doubt that (and we're not just talking 1 or 2 songs), and then add their critical acclaim, and the fact they've already proved themselves with headline slots on smaller stages/smaller festivals. 

Kendrick Lamar - Kendrick Lamar is certainly on the right trajectory - though it could be a while. He hasn't exactly got the casually-known hits of Jay-Z or Kanye West yet, but if he isn't already, its clear that he's going to be the most important guy in hip-hop for years to come.

Ed Sheeran - I hope its not next year, but ye, fair play to him, Ed Sheeran will likely end up headlining in the not too distant future.

Taylor Swift - Same goes for Taylor Swift too I guess.

--

LESS LIKELY:

Big acts who've not headlined before - less likely

Daft Punk
Kate Bush
Fleetwood Mac
Green Day
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rhianna or Lady Gaga

New headliners ('breakthrough' acts)

Tame Impala - Tame Impala are bigger than I realised, and from the sounds of it, their sub slot went down much better than most would have guessed. Maybe subbing the Pyramid is their peak, maybe it isn't - but I don't think we can say never.

Biffy Clyro - Biffy Clyro have definitely gone backwards in the UK and very likely missed their chance with Glastonbury now, but another massive album and it is possible, its just whether that will happen though.

The National - Seems more likely that The National won't ever break through to that level, but if the next album was either very critically acclaimed or a surprisingly big commercial success, they could be given the chance to step up too. They'd have earned the exposure such a headline slot would bring.

Queens of the Stone Age - Queens of the Stone Age would be a big curveball, but again, if a new album was very well received why not? Would be more exciting than just booking bands who've headlined several times before just because they're available. They'd give a cracking performance and would deserve it really.

Dizzee Rascal - If Dizzee Rascal releases something to trouble Album of the Year lists, rather than just the charts, again, maybe he'd deserve a punt. He's British for a start, and Glastonbury have booked him often enough to know he can pull a crowd and put on a good show.

Looking a bit further ahead:

Chvrches - Very early days so maybe they're a silly prediction - but if ever a band could be bumped up to that level and really nail it, I think Chvrches could do just that. I really did think they were fantastic on the Other Stage this year. I hope they're more than just a very good flash in the pan.

I think Bruno Mars is more likely to do it than Rihanna now, with this current album campaign by the latter bombing harder than anything you've ever seen. If Lady Gaga has a big pop return with this new album supposedly coming in the second half of 2016 then she's easily as likely as Taylor Swift imo, they've booked her before for a start. I think last year was Taylor Swift's chance to do it - in the country on Glasto weekend, with a headliner spot needing filling - but she didn't turn up.

Predicting future headliners is difficult partly because it's easy to forget where current/past headliners were when they released their early albums. Like take Radiohead- Pablo Honey was released in 1993 and was received as a fairly standard alt rock album, yet thanks to OK Computer they headlined 4 years later in 97 (OK I know Ash also headlined that year). Who would have predicted that when first hearing Creep?  It's a similar situation with Adele; if you saw her in the Guardian tent in 2007, which was shown on the screens during her set this year, you would've been mad to predict she would headline one day.  

I guess what sorts who is and is not 'headline material' is like 3 requirements- good music, good stage presence, but also popular appeal. There's loads who fill two of those, but not many that do all three. Take someone like Sufjan Stevens; he's probably one of the most highly rated  artists of this generation (more so than any of this years headliners) and is brilliant live. But obviously, he's not going to headline the Pyramid anytime soon- because he doesn't have the popular appeal. It's why I guess other festivals have a easier job booking headliners as they only need to meet one or two of those criteria. If you're headlining V Festival you only need popular appeal; if you're headlining Latitude you need to be well received by critics and be good live, but not exactly widely known by the general public. For people to think you're a good Glastonbury headliner you need all three though, that's what makes it difficult. 

3 hours ago, Chawk said:

Predicting future headliners is difficult partly because it's easy to forget where current/past headliners were when they released their early albums. Like take Radiohead- Pablo Honey was released in 1993 and was received as a fairly standard alt rock album, yet thanks to OK Computer they headlined 4 years later in 97 (OK I know Ash also headlined that year). Who would have predicted that when first hearing Creep?  It's a similar situation with Adele; if you saw her in the Guardian tent in 2007, which was shown on the screens during her set this year, you would've been mad to predict she would headline one day.  

I guess what sorts who is and is not 'headline material' is like 3 requirements- good music, good stage presence, but also popular appeal. There's loads who fill two of those, but not many that do all three. Take someone like Sufjan Stevens; he's probably one of the most highly rated  artists of this generation (more so than any of this years headliners) and is brilliant live. But obviously, he's not going to headline the Pyramid anytime soon- because he doesn't have the popular appeal. It's why I guess other festivals have a easier job booking headliners as they only need to meet one or two of those criteria. If you're headlining V Festival you only need popular appeal; if you're headlining Latitude you need to be well received by critics and be good live, but not exactly widely known by the general public. For people to think you're a good Glastonbury headliner you need all three though, that's what makes it difficult. 

The problem is for me is.. Glastonbury has decided to go down the "mega headliners" route. Acts need to have huge sales in this country or world wide fame. Florence was a bump up, but otherwise not many acts not are headliners who are either not Huge around the world or huge in Britain. 

They are the first act I thought of, Royal Blood. (Not talking style / type of music / if they are good)

If they headlined off the back of one pretty successful album (without being huge) & an upcoming / album released just before the fest. There would probably be an outcry. "we want a MASSIVE name". 

But there are only so many. Id rather them go leftfield. Go with 1 act who are probably sub / 3rd down size. Give them the exposure. Pyramid headliners are guaranteed a big crowd regardless. Obviously some bigger than others, but they still get a crowd.

17 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

But there are only so many. Id rather them go leftfield. Go with 1 act who are probably sub / 3rd down size. Give them the exposure. Pyramid headliners are guaranteed a big crowd regardless. Obviously some bigger than others, but they still get a crowd.

I don't know about that. I didn't see any of the headliners this year and don't regret not doing so, but despite what everyone said about them being boring and predictable they were huge successes. Giving it to someone like Foals would make sense, indeed Muse in 2004 were given it on this basis (only 1 number 1 album and highest chart position #8). But past that, even some of the predictable headliners would be better than it being given to a band too small. 

Certainly giving it to a 3rd down I think wouldn't be a good idea. If I was a fan of said band I wouldn't be particularly happy as chances are if they were 3rd down they wouldn't clash with as many acts, whereas if they were headlining chances are there'd be acts on other stages I'd want to watch, plus the crowd would be shit. And I don't think going down as a Pyramid flop would be good for the band or festival. 

4 hours ago, Chawk said:

Predicting future headliners is difficult partly because it's easy to forget where current/past headliners were when they released their early albums. Like take Radiohead- Pablo Honey was released in 1993 and was received as a fairly standard alt rock album, yet thanks to OK Computer they headlined 4 years later in 97 (OK I know Ash also headlined that year). Who would have predicted that when first hearing Creep? 

Radiohead was a great punt taken by Glastonbury on the potential brilliance they showed on The Bends, not from Pablo Honey. They were booked in '97 way before OK Computer came out. OK C had only been out a month when they played the Pyramid but you had a sense prior that the next record was going to be even better than The Bends and they were on a completely upward trajectory. some headliner punts like that work out, while some in hindsight still leave us scratching our heads (Skunk Anansie....)

easy on Ash....they and Kula Shaker were only there after Stevie Winwood/Neil Young had to be replaced. someone had to do it...

Nah, I'd say listen to Illinois first. Very accessible as well as being one of the best records of the century, I reckon. Lots to take in on the surface, but after 100 repeats there's still bits of it that make me go 'blimey'.

All of Sufjan's albums from Michigan onward are gorgeous 5 star beauties that have something to offer everybody. He'll never headline the Pyramid, but with this unprecedented run of festivals in the US this summer, I'm hoping him getting an hour and ten on the Pyramid in the Sunday sun before the legend is possible one day soon. 

2 hours ago, tevaburger said:

Radiohead was a great punt taken by Glastonbury on the potential brilliance they showed on The Bends, not from Pablo Honey. They were booked in '97 way before OK Computer came out. OK C had only been out a month when they played the Pyramid but you had a sense prior that the next record was going to be even better than The Bends and they were on a completely upward trajectory. some headliner punts like that work out, while some in hindsight still leave us scratching our heads (Skunk Anansie....)

as somebody on here pointed out to me, it wasn't Glastonbury that first gave Radiohead the bump up to headliner - it was T in the Park the year before when they were still touring The Bends. obviously their headline set at Glastonbury was the one that boosted them to definitive festival headliner status, but gotta give it to T for giving them a leg up so early on

Edited by FloorFiller

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I know nothing of him / them. I see the name crop up on here.

Ill get onto that this weekend

Couldn't recommend Come On! Feel the Illinoise enough. Stonkingly good album.

Would rather see him in a more intimate setting than the Pyramid to be fair. Avalon would be incredible, but he's probably too big for there. West Holts and The Park could probably be the more feasible options. The Park being more likely.

Edited by BlackHole2006

Anybody think nine inch nails could headline? 

Also Black Sabbaths doing a final tour. After metallica headlining maybe they would have an outside chance.

Saw someone mention Maccabees. I don't think they will ever be big enough, but if they did get the chance I don't think they would disappoint. Really strong back catalogue & great live.

4 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Anybody think nine inch nails could headline? 

Also Black Sabbaths doing a final tour. After metallica headlining maybe they would have an outside chance.

Saw someone mention Maccabees. I don't think they will ever be big enough, but if they did get the chance I don't think they would disappoint. Really strong back catalogue & great live.

Nine Inch Nail could (and hopefully will) headline Other. did it before in 2000 and reckon they're still just the right size for it. fingers crossed!

Black Sabbaths final show is in February so definitely ain't gonna be them (not that they were ever that likely anyway)

Maccabees ain't ever gonna get to headline status i don't think. reckon they'll stall at about sub level at some point, although guess you never know where they'll go with the new material

14 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Nine Inch Nail could (and hopefully will) headline Other. did it before in 2000 and reckon they're still just the right size for it. fingers crossed!

Black Sabbaths final show is in February so definitely ain't gonna be them (not that they were ever that likely anyway)

Maccabees ain't ever gonna get to headline status i don't think. reckon they'll stall at about sub level at some point, although guess you never know where they'll go with the new material

I was frankly shocked a couple of years ago that Maccabees were not only still going, but were bigger than ever. I wondered if they'd undergone some musical transformation or whether I'd underestimated their depth. So off to Spotify I went...

Nope.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
we're -> were

2 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

Is Ben Howard a critically acclaimed album away from headlining? Seems pretty popular in terms of selling out arenas and very popular on Spotify, as well as already being a fairly established and respected artist.

nah. although critically acclaimed, i think his last album kind of divided his fanbase, so he's in a kind of weird position. obviously the direction of the new album could be a big decider, but i reckon he's about as big as he could get right now. might move up the lineup somewhat but headlining seems like a big jump

8 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

He sells out arenas?

Blimey, I reckoned he'd be like selling out the Apollo a few months after tickets went on sale. What an odd world we live in.

I once got a very detailed rolling description of a Ben Howard gig from a friend who'd gone but had retreated to the bar after realising it was the most boring thing she'd ever seen.