Future headliners

swede

40 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I'd say the chances on Kate Bush ever doing it have diminished to nothing now, would she really have any reason I'm doing it, I don't think so. 

The only encouraging thing about Kate Bush is that nobody really knows what she's going to do next. I don't think it's likely, but I didn't think it was likely that her last two albums were going to come out and I didn't think it was likely that she was going to do the live shows in London.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

There seems to be an argument every year here whether Depeche Mode would headline or not, they still hold their headliner status is continental Europe, and play and some big arena shows here, and as much as I'm sure the festival has approached them in the past to headline, I'd be on the side of taking some convincing that they'd still headline outright 

Depeche Mode were approached as recently as 2014 to headline that year, has much changed since then? If they were no longer being considered as a Pyramid headliner, where else would they fit? Can't see them subbing, and can't see them headlining any other stage. If the Eavii have finally decided they're not Pyramid headline material, then I guess that would be it for them full stop.

Personally I think it will still happen, unless they decide to finally stop touring. Gahan's been hinting at it for at least a couple of years, so wouldn't surprise me if they did finally call it a day. Which only makes them more likely for me, in the next year or two.

Edited by djdavejohnson

8 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Depeche Mode were approached as recently as 2014 to headline that year, has much changed since then? If they were no longer being considered as a Pyramid headliner, where else would they fit? Can't see them subbing, and can't see them headlining any other stage. If the Eavii have finally decided they're not Pyramid headline material, then I guess that would be it for them full stop.

Personally I think it will still happen, unless they decide to finally stop touring. Gahan's been hinting at it for at least a couple of years, so wouldn't surprise me if they did finally call it a day. Which only makes them more likely for me, in the next year or two.

Despite their international popularity, I could see them headlining Other.  Whether the band or their management can see it or not is a different question!

13 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Shirly Aphex Twin would command and Other headline spot? Shirley.

Really? I saw him a couple of times in 2010/11(i think) and he was early evening set on second stage at Rockness. There is no way he massively more popular now. He'd want lasers so would play in a tent if light outside.

He'd sub JP at most for a live set but think he'd rather play in the naughty corner again.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Despite their international popularity, I could see them headlining Other.  Whether the band or their management can see it or not is a different question!

I'm not so sure, although I guess their relative lack of domestic popularity could push them that way eventually. From the band's point of view I strongly suspect they would be pushing for that Pyramid slot though - a night on the TV could finally be the boost they need in the UK market.

I've no doubt about it that if Depeche Mode play they'll headline - any other position seems silly for an act of their stature, even if they would seem like a smaller headliner. Get the setlist right and they could really nail it, even if it is to a less than full Pyramid field. Don't think they'll be there next year but I'm warming to the idea that they could be a contender in the next few years

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I've no doubt about it that if Depeche Mode play they'll headline - any other position seems silly for an act of their stature, even if they would seem like a smaller headliner. Get the setlist right and they could really nail it, even if it is to a less than full Pyramid field. Don't think they'll be there next year but I'm warming to the idea that they could be a contender in the next few years

Agreed I don't think the Pyramid audience would be huge. Which is a shame, because they really do put on a good show. Gahan's a great frontman and he still has that rawness in his performances.

Although the less said about Fletch, the better.

3 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

If Slaves continue to increase in popularity I could see them headlining. They've played the last two years (this year as a secret set) and they've only really been big enough to have played Glasto those last two years. 

They're a good band but they'll always stay too niche. I don't think their ambitions include being quite that big, which is a good thing really. 

Edited by arcade fireman

6 minutes ago, willd255 said:

Coldplay, Kendrick, Drake, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Royal Blood, Wolf Alice, Foals, Tame Impala, Oasis, Paul McCartney (final ever tour?), Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay, Gorillaz, QOTSA, Lana Del Rey, Radiohead, U2, The Strokes, Fleetwood Mac, 

I know the festival likes Coldplay, but excluding them twice is excessive 

3 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

If Slaves continue to increase in popularity I could see them headlining. They've played the last two years (this year as a secret set) and they've only really been big enough to have played Glasto those last two years. 

Hmm, maybe R/L if they continue to grow, but even at that id be quite surprised if they reached they heights 

Just now, willd255 said:

No way are they big or popular enough

That's subjective though. Bands like The Who etc are considered legends and get booked but in reality most people in the 20-30 age bracket don't really know any of their material but go along because it's The Who. I think Elbow would be great headliners, they have enough material, great interaction with the crowd and as I said fit in with the ethos of the festival. 

4 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

That's subjective though. Bands like The Who etc are considered legends and get booked but in reality most people in the 20-30 age bracket don't really know any of their material but go along because it's The Who. I think Elbow would be great headliners, they have enough material, great interaction with the crowd and as I said fit in with the ethos of the festival. 

It's not subjective whether they're big enough or not. The fact that people go along to see people because 'it's The Who' is down to the fact they're massive and legends. I'm not saying they wouldn't be great, they're just not big enough to headline. You wouldn't get people going to see Elbow just because 'it's Elbow'. 

1 hour ago, arcade fireman said:

They're a good band but they'll always stay too niche. I don't think their ambitions include being quite that big, which is a good thing really. 

I wouldn't be so sure. They've said once in an NME interview (I think) that they won't stop until they're headlining Leeds and Reading. Glastonbury is one step up from that.