Future headliners

swede

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

They were bigger last time they played. If Glastonbury didn't think they could do it a couple of years ago then they certainly won't now.

Still bigger than Arcade Fire when they headlined. Glastonbury can pick one on merit every now and again. Biffy deserve their shot. 

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, reflekting said:

Still bigger than Arcade Fire when they headlined. Glastonbury can pick one on merit every now and again. Biffy deserve their shot. 

No they're not lol.

And what is merit in regards to Glastonbury headliners? Biffy 'deserved' to be given a chance as in 2013 or maybe 2014 but they're over the hill now. Happens to all sorts of bands. Them's the breaks.

11 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Was it Mrs Leach that said 'And a good thing too, for it seems we have dodged a horrific bullet, one that would swipe Kasabian's crown as the worst booking so far this century'?

Strong words from Maw Winslow

I think you're misquoting her there, Winslow's mam surely knows that as dire as Mumford and Kasabian were and Biffy would be, it's always better to book a band for the first time, than to book Muse for the third time in the same year Coldplay are on their fourth.

2 hours ago, reflekting said:

They have to be half decent to be picked on merit, r kid.

8 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I think you're misquoting her there, Winslow's mam surely knows that as dire as Mumford and Kasabian were and Biffy would be, it's always better to book a band for the first time, than to book Muse for the third time in the same year Coldplay are on their fourth.

Yep. 

I am very much in the "Anti Sheeran" camp, but I'd rather him get the gig than recycle continuous house bands. With the exception of Radiohead as it is 14 years since headlined. That isn't too often.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

8 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

#MaLeach doesn’t hold this to be an absolute truism, I’m afraid.  Promoting average grafters above their capabilities isn't a guaranteed path to success and for every time that the gamble pays off there are plenty of times when it doesn't.  She’s prepared to grant the Eavii extenuating circumstances on the basis of the difficulties in securing headliners in 2015 and – despite being no fan of either the ‘play or The Muse – concedes that they’re popular choices.  Furthermore, she fails to see how a lineup that runs > Foals > Muse is weaker than one that only features Foals.

Current acts who have a realistic shot of being new headliners in the next 5 years, apart from Ed Sheeran:

Foo Fighters (though previously booked, obviously)

The 1975 :(

Catfish and the Bottlemen :fuckyou:

Foals 

Tame Impala 

Drake

Royal Blood

Can't seriously think of anyone else at this stage. But that doesn't mean bands won't suddenly rocket in popularity, e.g. a popular new band now e.g. Blossoms may potentially release a couple of big albums. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Would say The xx and Taylor Swift could do it in the next five. Maybe Disclosure as long as the next album picks things up a bit.

Would rather The 1975 got there than Royal Blood tbf. There's much more going on there.

XX have probably waited too long and lost momentum since their last album. Don't know if they'll ever get bigger seeing Jamie XX puts so much energy into his solo stuff. 

8 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

If Catfish get big enough, they'll headline. For sure. 

If they become a globe-bestriding colossus on the order of Muse or Coldplay then aye.

I don't see that happening though, and I don't see the festival being especially generous to them in terms of bumping them up to pole position if they're not stadium-filling enormo-stars.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Thankfully, Emily hasn't really shown any great fondness for booking proper old school proper indie for the lads onto the Pyramid, so I doubt we'll be staring down the barrel of a Catfish any time soon.

Catfish will undoubtedly headline in the future if their wave continues. They have already hit arenas on their 2nd album before it had barely been released. Another 2 and they'll be there.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Thankfully, Emily hasn't really shown any great fondness for booking proper old school proper indie for the lads onto the Pyramid, so I doubt we'll be staring down the barrel of a Catfish any time soon.

They'll play the pyramid next year, won't ever headline it though.

As for the 1975, new album is shite, they're another band that people will tout as headliners but will stay around sub or second stage headliners. I remember when people were creaming their pants over the vaccines and before that it was bloc party saying they'd headline one day, the 1975 are in the same boat 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Would say The xx and Taylor Swift could do it in the next five. Maybe Disclosure as long as the next album picks things up a bit.

Would rather The 1975 got there than Royal Blood tbf. There's much more going on there.

Disclosure are an odd one. I saw them close the Saturday at Leeds fest, they top loaded the set then it just fell a bit flat. I said to my brother the only way they could ever headline Glasto is in a couple of albums time and if they had all the guests on site to perform their tracks. 

Just keep bringing them out one after another.....lorde, Mary j bilge, the weeknd, Sam smith, whoever they get on the next two albums, keep the guests coming. If not it would just fall flat.

Keep the talking to a minimum as well, great musicians but boring as fuck to listen to talk.

Nice boys, but I don't think either of them has got a decent shag in them 

23 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Phew, Gazza reckons they'll headline. That's a good enough assurance for me that we're safe from them.

The only assurance you can take from here is massive disappointment for yourself in the future.

12 minutes ago, swede said:

Disclosure are an odd one. I saw them close the Saturday at Leeds fest, they top loaded the set then it just fell a bit flat. I said to my brother the only way they could ever headline Glasto is in a couple of albums time and if they had all the guests on site to perform their tracks. 

Just keep bringing them out one after another.....lorde, Mary j bilge, the weeknd, Sam smith, whoever they get on the next two albums, keep the guests coming. If not it would just fall flat.

Keep the talking to a minimum as well, great musicians but boring as fuck to listen to talk.

Nice boys, but I don't think either of them has got a decent shag in them 

I doubt they'll headline.

Sorry what is the consensus for 2017? I can see that everyone thinks Sheeran is nailed on but frankly have lost interest in the whole thing now that Bowie and Prince arent here.

It would take some Waits rumours to pull me back in and that clearly isn't going to happen.

What was the Madge likelihood according to the bookies? <holding out for a set with something in it I know and could belt out>