Future headliners

swede

I wonder if they would offer Pulp a headline slot if they got back together in 5 years? They played mostly sub slots last time around, but I did read Michael say Pulp and Radiohead didn't want to headline that year, so it seems he offered the opportunity.

Edited by Alan_C

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, djdavejohnson said:

How about Simply Red? Haven't appeared since the 80's and are currently touring?

have a huge soft spot for them and would love them to appear on the bill somewhere, but they're not headliners - more Sunday Legend or midway down the Pyramid type stuff

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

have a huge soft spot for them and would love them to appear on the bill somewhere, but they're not headliners - more Sunday Legend or midway down the Pyramid type stuff

1 minute ago, incident said:

Acoustic Headliners? Yes, that could happen.

Pyramid? No later than 5pm.

I was thinking probably a long shot, and definitely could potentially fill the legends shot. They have shifted a fair few records though so thought I'd throw it out there! However, surprised to read only one number 1 though.

I can forsee a lot of repeat headliners from next year onwards. Surely The Killers and KoL are due to come back again. I wouldn't be against either, but suspect they would go down like a bad smell on this board. I'd love to see The Verve reunite in the next 2-3 years as well. 

Do Kings Of Leon even sell out stadiums in this country anymore? They seem to have lost all momentum. I've got no interest these days, Glastonbury booked them at the perfect time last time. Not sure if The Killers would get booked to headline again either.

The Verve are probably a long way from getting their shit together, and without new material its pointless since it would be the same as 2008.

2 minutes ago, reflekting said:

I can forsee a lot of repeat headliners from next year onwards. Surely The Killers and KoL are due to come back again. I wouldn't be against either, but suspect they would go down like a bad smell on this board. I'd love to see The Verve reunite in the next 2-3 years as well. 

you may be right about the repeat headliners, but i don't see The Killers or Kings of Leon ever returning. as for The Verve, i'm fairly sure there's still some bad blood there with the other members feeling Ashcroft used their reformation to anchor his solo career

Many are called, few are frozen.

About 90% of the up and comers here will never make it to headline status, they just don't have the longevity. Bands need some sort of originality or gimmick to get them there, Catfish, Wolf Alice, the rest of your Radio 1 indie bands don't have it. Reading and Leeds may go for them, but Glastonbury don't like big risks, even when Florence was 100% a headliner in everybody's eyes they tried to stick her as a sub. Kendrick will get there eventually, because he's going to continue to be one of the most exciting artists in the world for quite some time, but Kanye's Law shows us that it wont be for a while.

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

you may be right about the repeat headliners, but i don't see The Killers or Kings of Leon ever returning. as for The Verve, i'm fairly sure there's still some bad blood there with the other members feeling Ashcroft used their reformation to anchor his solo career

Maybe not KoL but i would certainly stick a tenner on The Killers coming back on their next album cycle, they're still a big draw as their Wembley show a couple of years ago proved. 

2 minutes ago, reflekting said:

Maybe not KoL but i would certainly stick a tenner on The Killers coming back on their next album cycle, they're still a big draw as their Wembley show a couple of years ago proved. 

don't see it myself. obviously they could break the pattern and release a great album with some big singles, but if they continue down the route of diminishing returns they have thus far then i don't see why Glastonbury would be interested in them. along with KoL i think they'll just return to V and TITP every few years

I could maybe see Kings of Leon headlining again a push, but there would need to be some hype/reasoning around it rather than them just being booked again, because that would be very boring. 10th Ani of Only By The Night 2018 maybe

I think a fallow year sounds more appealing than that actually 

Just now, Johnkhutch said:

Could Gorillaz come back or has that ship sailed? Don't remember the reaction when they headlined last.

definitely sailed. they weren't first choice to begin with in 2010 and they fell pretty flat on their arses i thought despite their best efforts and a shitload of guests. could perhaps see them returning as Other headliners, but think they're more likely to headline something like Latitude instead (in fact i'd put money on them doing just that next year)

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

definitely sailed. they weren't first choice to begin with in 2010 and they fell pretty flat on their arses i thought despite their best efforts and a shitload of guests. could perhaps see them returning as Other headliners, but think they're more likely to headline something like Latitude instead (in fact i'd put money on them doing just that next year)

When are Gorillaz returning? They and Massive Attack felt like dead certs for headliners this year. Melvin fucked it with New Order.

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

When are Gorillaz returning? They and Massive Attack felt like dead certs for headliners this year. Melvin fucked it with New Order.

Damon definitely said he was gonna be working on Gorillaz in 2016 but i guess they won't be ready to tour until next year. definitely seem like a good bet for Latitude though, especially with Damon seemingly being a fan

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Wolf Alice's jump from mid-Park to mid-Pyramid without a new album in between is pretty impressive. i know the album was released mere days before the festival last year and they've gained a lot of momentum since, but out of all the acts being mentioned they seem like the one that could get the bump up in two albums time imo

Definitely, they had absolutely no problems doing that slot either. Nailed it. 

Be interesting to see if they can get over the second album hurdle.  If it's a good as the first I reckon they're well on their way. 

I think the issue for Wolf Alice will be that the first album was a bit of a melting pot of different types of indie. It felt a lot like a homage to their influences, the next album will probably see them pick a direction, just depends if they're able to pull it off. Fingers crossed though, they're already a great live act and Ellie is a terrific performer. 

i've been banging this drum for a while now, and though it's never going to happen - probably as much from the artist's choice as that of the bookers - what a wonderful world it could be if the Pyramid were to give the gig to one of British music's true pioneers.  still making music that sounds otherworldly, has released more in the last couple of years than at any other point in his 25 year career and would bamboozle the living shit out of your mum and dad watching at home.

imagine, if you will, a world where Richard D James could headline the Pyramid stage.

alas.

Just now, fatyeti24 said:

i've been banging this drum for a while now, and though it's never going to happen - probably as much from the artist's choice as that of the bookers - what a wonderful world it could be if the Pyramid were to give the gig to one of British music's true pioneers.  still making music that sounds otherworldly, has released more in the last couple of years than at any other point in his 25 year career and would bamboozle the living shit out of your mum and dad watching at home.

imagine, if you will, a world where Richard D James could headline the Pyramid stage.

alas.

I could honestly imagine him turning it down.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I could honestly imagine him turning it down.

yep.  it'd never happen.  i'm as resigned to that as i am this board suggesting bog standard indie rockers knocking out four minutes of verse-chorus-verse-chorus-middle eight-chorus gubbins for eternity.