Future headliners

swede

Someone mentioned in the 2017 headliners thread that things are starting to look a little bit thin in regards to future headliners and first time headliners. I for one don't think this is the case, I think there's plenty of potential headliners out there, some of which we might not see for a fair few years as bands release their second, third or fourth albums ect

All these suggestions might not be to my personal taste but future first time headliners I see....

Foals, Ed Sheeren, Stone Roses, Foo Fighters, Paulo Nutini, The XX, Disclosure, Wolf Alice, Kendrick Lamar, Justin Timberlake, Chvrches, NGHFB, Libertines, Haim

Repeat headliners .....

Radiohead, Kasabian, Bruce Springsteen, Blur, Arctic Monkeys

Obviously with some of the bands in the first list I'm talking way down the line, anyone got any other suggestions 

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, swede said:

Someone mentioned in the 2017 headliners thread that things are starting to look a little bit thin in regards to future headliners and first time headliners. I for one don't think this is the case, I think there's plenty of potential headliners out there, some of which we might not see for a fair few years as bands release their second, third or fourth albums ect

All these suggestions might not be to my personal taste but future first time headliners I see....

Foals, Ed Sheeren, Stone Roses, Foo Fighters, Paulo Nutini, The XX, Disclosure, Wolf Alice, Kendrick Lamar, Justin Timberlake, Chvrches, NGHFB, Libertines, Haim

Repeat headliners .....

Obviously with some of the bands in the first list I'm talking way down the line, anyone got any other suggestions 

Libertines have no split again so that's them out.
Add to your list AC/DC, Guns and Roses, Lionel Richie (yes returning as a headliner) and as soon as I post this I will think of others :)

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Libertines have no split again so that's them out.
Add to your list AC/DC, Guns and Roses, Lionel Richie (yes returning as a headliner) and as soon as I post this I will think of others :)

Since when have the libs split, Petes done another solo album but they were also playing festivals abroad upto the middle of June. 

Just now, Tommy101 said:

I think another commercially successful album from Queens of the Stone Age could put them into the picture. Especially after such a well received Other Stage headline slot in 2011

Id absolutely love that, one of my favourite bands 

Future first time headliners: The 1975, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Disclosure, Fleetwood Mac (though Michael has been in the press again complaining about their greed), The XX, Tame Impala

Repeat Headliners: Beyonce, Arcade Fire, The Cure?

Can't see the Libertines coming back to headline ever to be honest. There just isn't the interest anymore music has moved on.

I don't think there's much about at the moment in the form of "new" music who could take that step up to such a prestigious level, barring cancellations, and this is why we keep seeing the same regurgitated headliners.

But some 'smaller' acts who I think will/ could go on to headline the festival in the next 5 years:

Foals, Tame Impala, The XX, Kendrick Lamar, Bastille

This lot could if they continue their steady rise - although do think it's unlikely - and depends if Glasto ever adopt the "co-headline" thing:

Wolf Alice, Royal Blood, Twenty One Pilots, The 1975, Disclosure, Chvrches, Years & Years

And some, not necessarily new, who I think will probably be in with a shout of headlining in the next 5 years anyway:

Radiohead, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Depeche Mode, Libertines, AC/DC, Foo Fighters, Taylor Swift, Queen w/Adam Lambert, Paul McCartney, probably fucking Coldplay again twice and I wouldn't be surprised for one final bow to someone like Bob Dylan.

2 minutes ago, swede said:

Repeat headliners .....

Don't think Paolo Nutini, Libertines and NGHFB will ever be big enough to headline. XX might have had a shot but they've taken so long between these albums I suspect they've lost momentum - Jamie's DJ career seems to take priority. 

I think the one you haven't mentioned is Catfish and the Bottlemen. To my ears they are awful but you only need to look at the size of their Other Stage crowd to see they're on a massive upward trajectory. Their fan base seems to be happy enough with the same old formula meaning they don't really have to do that much different and they'll keep getting bigger. 

People who haven't headlined that I can see headlining at some point in the next 5-10 years - Rihanna Taylor Swift and Madonna surely have to do it at some point. If they can get over the money thing Fleetwood Mac also. Not my cup of tea but Drake at some point too. Stone Roses will probably do it at some point as will Ed Sheeran. Possibly Foals and Tame Impala at some stage.

2 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Don't think Paolo Nutini, Libertines and NGHFB will ever be big enough to headline. XX might have had a shot but they've taken so long between these albums I suspect they've lost momentum - Jamie's DJ career seems to take priority. 

I think the one you haven't mentioned is Catfish and the Bottlemen. To my ears they are awful but you only need to look at the size of their Other Stage crowd to see they're on a massive upward trajectory. Their fan base seems to be happy enough with the same old formula meaning they don't really have to do that much different and they'll keep getting bigger. 

Wow, Paulo or Noel Gallagher don't have the potential to headline a couple of albums down the line but catfish do. 

Nutini packed the other stage subbing it in 2014, albums are getting better as he goes on, whose to say how good his music will be in a couple of albums time and if Glasto were willing to give him a chance if they had a couple of more established headliners on the other nights, I'm biased as I'm a big fan but I think he'll headline one day 

26 minutes ago, swede said:

Wow, Paulo or Noel Gallagher don't have the potential to headline a couple of albums down the line but catfish do. 

Nutini packed the other stage subbing it in 2014, albums are getting better as he goes on, whose to say how good his music will be in a couple of albums time and if Glasto were willing to give him a chance if they had a couple of more established headliners on the other nights, I'm biased as I'm a big fan but I think he'll headline one day 

You're biased yep. Taking aside the perceived quality of the music Paolo has been around for ages and he's still only subbing Other. There is no chance he will ever headline. 

Noel's HFB is definitely not big enough to headline and he wouldn't play nearly enough old Oasis songs to justify headlining him.

As much as I think Catfish's music is rubbish they have a big, young growing fanbase. They write catchy guitar pop songs. They are definite potential candidates in the future.

Edited by arcade fireman

3 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

You're biased yep. Taking aside the perceived quality of the music Paolo has been around for ages and he's still only subbing Other. There is no chance he will ever headline. 

Noel's HFB is definitely not big enough to headline and he wouldn't play nearly enough old Oasis songs to justify headlining him.

As much as I think Catfish's music is rubbish they have a big, young growing fanbase. They write catchy guitar pop songs. They are definite potential candidates in the future.

Noel's a safe booking that they might use one year if no immediate headliners are touring and he is.

Regarding the oasis songs, I saw him headline latitude last year and he must have hit double figures with the oasis songs, threw in a few extras that he didn't play on the rest of the tour, so he's not daft and knows how to cater to a festival audience 

More based on her potential than current ability, but I think Lorde could be a possible headliner in a few albums time. That's talking very long term of course, minimum  8-10 years.

In the short term, I can see Wolf Alice, Foals, Tame Impala and Jamie T all being future headliners at some point. Chvrches could be in with a shout and Lana I feel is one stellar album away from being in contention.

Last year Jamie T drew about the biggest audience I'd seen at the Other stage and went down a bomb with songs that the crowd loved.  As ever it depends on the reception of his next album.

2 years can be a long time in a music career, seeing an act elevated or disappearing into obscurity, so for all we know there could be any of the current crop of up and coming artists that bring out a world shaking album that captures the moment.  If Tame Impala can bring out another album as commercially popular as Currents I think they are dead set for a top slot.

1 hour ago, swede said:

Repeat headliners .....

I have doubts over NGHFB, Blur, Arctic Monkeys and The Libertines. I don't see Bruce being back either.