Frank Ocean

FloorFiller

3 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

On first spin, it's good, but no Channel Orange.

I agree, it definitely feels more mature than Channel Orange to me. It sounds far more hazy/ambient and almost meditative in parts which I really like. Pink + White and Seigfried are my highlights after first listen.

Edited by rhg_99

3 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

I agree, it definitely feels more mature than Channel Orange to me. It sounds far more hazy/ambient and almost meditative in parts which I really like. Pink + White and Seigfried are my highlights after first listen.

Definitely agree with this.

On my third listen now and really enjoying it. White Ferrari is my favourite at the moment. 

Nah a line condemning the use of ghostwriters doesn't have to be about Drake - rappers have been speaking against ghostwriters as long as they have been used. Besides, 3 Stacks doesn't need to go after Drake. Great verse though.

I really like the record. It's bound to be a divisive one because the poppy, danceable Frank is still missing for the most part and I'm sure that's what everyone expected from it, but Channel Orange was such a high bar that maybe this was the best way to progress. Relistened after rhg pointed out about the maturity of it and yeah, it does definitely seem a common theme that he's dealing with his late-20's shit now following on from all the debauchery and lusting on Channel Orange.

I feel like there's still to be another twist in this. I dunno if I can handle another album but I'll take it anyway. Probably won't be audio next time. Pog form, I imagine.

11 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Nah a line condemning the use of ghostwriters doesn't have to be about Drake - rappers have been speaking against ghostwriters as long as they have been used. Besides, 3 Stacks doesn't need to go after Drake. Great verse though.

I really like the record. It's bound to be a divisive one because the poppy, danceable Frank is still missing for the most part and I'm sure that's what everyone expected from it, but Channel Orange was such a high bar that maybe this was the best way to progress. Relistened after rhg pointed out about the maturity of it and yeah, it does definitely seem a common theme that he's dealing with his late-20's shit now following on from all the debauchery and lusting on Channel Orange.

I feel like there's still to be another twist in this. I dunno if I can handle another album but I'll take it anyway. Probably won't be audio next time. Pog form, I imagine.

Has to be a shot at Drake during the current climate. There wasn't much talk about ghostwriters until it came out about Drake.

Found a copy of the album, will give it a listen this week.

well it's certainly no Channel Orange, but with every listen a new song/bit sticks out and wows me, so can see this being a huge grower. can't lie and say that i wasn't disappointed to not really hear another Sweet Life/Pyramids/Lost/all out banger, but i guess that's just not what he's feeling right now/for the past 4 years. Ivy, Pink + White, Self Control and Nights are early favourites. Nikes hits me in the feels a little more with every listen

also the Andre 3000 verse is, as always, incredible. that guy needs to get some solo stuff going and not just base his entire solo career on a verse per Frank Ocean album

Edited by FloorFiller

In truth, if this track had another 'pyramids' I'd be all for him playing the festival

considering the slots he's going to get next summer, he's definitely a pyramid sub headliner, and I can't see them booking him. 

While it would be huge for the fans, I can imagine non-fans in the crowd waiting for the headliner being pretty bored

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

In truth, if this track had another 'pyramids' I'd be all for him playing the festival

considering the slots he's going to get next summer, he's definitely a pyramid sub headliner, and I can't see them booking him. 

While it would be huge for the fans, I can imagine non-fans in the crowd waiting for the headliner being pretty bored

I'm not sure if he will be booked - seems like the type of act Glastonbury will end up missing out on - but just this year they seemingly had D'Angelo booked to sub Adele at one point, who has maybe one recognisable song to the general public at best, so I don't see why they'd be afraid to book Frank, who despite his new album being pretty downbeat, has a fair few well known songs that would hold the crowds attention, and is the biggest hype act of this year. As I say, I reckon they won't have booked him and he'll appear as a headliner elsewhere, but there's definitely nothing stopping him from being booked other than that. He'd pull a mega crowd

16 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Is there going to be a physical release for Blonde or should I just FloorFillerTM it?

It'll come I think. Lots of acts are dropping albums on short notice and then the CD comes a few weeks/months later. James Blake and Radiohead have both done it this year, I think it's just Kanye's that isn't getting a physical release, but that's just him being a bit of a twat telling people what they should and shouldn't want to buy.

This album has reached into the recesses of my psyche and made me feel feelings I've not felt in a long time. It's majestic. Beautiful. Offbeat. Bittersweet. I'll attest to it being one of the best albums I've ever heard. Maybe I'm in the honeymoon period, maybe I'm not... But right now, I love it deeply.

I sincerely hope he plays Glasto next year.