Frank Ocean

FloorFiller

4 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Also. Why isn't he playing Slide. I normally despise Calvin Harris but that's by miles the best of the numerous songs Frank has put out/contributed to this year :(

Not his sing , why isn't he playing slide on 

me is the bigger question! Esp with the young thug feature. 

I liked endless it has some great moments. No seigfried or white Ferrari makes me sad though

14 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

Not his sing , why isn't he playing slide on 

me is the bigger question! Esp with the young thug feature. 

I liked endless it has some great moments. No seigfried or white Ferrari makes me sad though

Yeah White Ferrari is gorgeous. Also he seems to have finally given up on Novacane which is a big shame even if slightly predictable given he already dropped Swim Good towards the end of his last tour.

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah White Ferrari is gorgeous. Also he seems to have finally given up on Novacane which is a big shame even if slightly predictable given he already dropped Swim Good towards the end of his last tour.

Jamie XX opened his set at Primavera with it ( he replaced Frank ) and it makes me want to hear it even more! beautiful song white ferrari.

Novacane is made for festivals, shame he isnt playing it but from a few die hard frank fans who went to Northside last night they said it was a beautiful performence, if maybe not very "festival-y" 

Heard from a few separate friends who were at Parklife tonight that his set was a bit of a shambles. Came on about 40 minutes late and a few false starts.

Again, just heard this from a few friends so don't shoot the messenger! One of them is a huge fan though and was absolutely gutted.

17 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

Heard from a few separate friends who were at Parklife tonight that his set was a bit of a shambles. Came on about 40 minutes late and a few false starts.

Again, just heard this from a few friends so don't shoot the messenger! One of them is a huge fan though and was absolutely gutted.

No excuse for coming on stage that late but beyond that, from the videos I've seen floating around, the crowd was so bad it'd have been hard to get into it with the most flawless performance in the history of music. Looks like they didn't even know Nikes :notme: Just play Glastonbury next time, Christopher.

Not a fan (I just don't know his music very well) but what I can tell from the Northside gig: that's how to bomb a headline-set.

The show was actually a surround show. They put up 4 extra speaker lines around the infield. The problem was: if you stood outside (and they didn't cover a huge space) you couldn't hear anything because the usual second speaker line further behind in the field was turned off. At a headliner. So half of the audience couldn't hear him. He was also 45 minutes late. They build a walk into the middle of the field and that's were they played. It felt like a lot of gibberish with here and there a few notes, all very uncoordinated. Together with the songs, the surround setup and the stage in the middle of the audience, it was all built for intimacy. This would've worked maybe perfectly at a concert with just his fans in a small venue but for a festival it had all the ingredients to turn people off and that's exactly what happened. Huge amounts left and the next day everybody was like "What was that all about?" There was no way he would've grabbed anyone's attention who isn't too familiar with his music.

So I'm not hating against his music or anything like that but someone definitely didn't think this production fully through.

Ok so huge fan here who also went to primsvera to see him where he cancelled. Got a Sunday ticket for parklife Just for frank. 

Some caveats I had excellent position right at the front where He did most of his performance and I was surrounded by hard-core frank fans  by absolute luck. 

I actually thought the gig worked from where I was but I couldn't have been any closer it felt really intimate kind of like he was playing from his bedroom and bearing his soul .  There were some truly beautiful moments and I will be really honest and say I can't really remember another set quite like it . 

They were live streaming the show onto the big screen but I had a vintage feel to it like the recording on an old school VCR recorder it actually really worked .

However the state clearly wasn't set up correctly that's why he was so late they had engineers putting duct tape on the set up to 10pm and he was meant to be in at 9.30.  He then cut a fair few songs from the set list and more annoyingly didn't play pyramids which for me is just shocking.  What's even more annoying is that he played Chanel  twice because he said he likes the song and thrn didn't play pyramids. 

He only restarted during the first song and after that he didn't restart once if I remember correctly . 

If I was the Parklife people I would probably be very pissed right now they sacrificed the middle of the main stage for the whole Sunday for Franks set.  And then it isn't set up properly and he skips what  for me is the best song he's got for a festival . 

He really is a unique artist in good and bad ways .  Chose a sap that was totally for hard-core fans not for a festival set and then he did it in a really intimate set up . 

Overall I felt a little short changed but I did feel the performance was one of the most uniquely beautiful performances I've ever seen 

I'd been desperate to see him for a while and he was one of the main reasons I went to Parklife. That was the worst live act I've ever seen bar nothing. Genuinely quite impressed by how bad it was. Nobody I spoke to enjoyed it either or any of my mates.

Love Frank but could you be assed with all this faffing around. I'd be feeling more than let down. Hopefully in the future they manage to get everything set up and ready well in advance, many artists with far more extravagant ideas manage. That or he will have to make some changes to his set up.

3 hours ago, Odessa said:

I'd been desperate to see him for a while and he was one of the main reasons I went to Parklife. That was the worst live act I've ever seen bar nothing. Genuinely quite impressed by how bad it was. Nobody I spoke to enjoyed it either or any of my mates.

Sorry to hear that! Does seem like he's gone the total wrong way about his set considering all he's doing is festivals - seems like it should be for intimate venues full of hardcore fans. Playing one song from the album most people are there to hear and playing a bunch of what are essentially b-sides instead just seems foolish. Hope the shows improve as they go on (if he doesn't just pull the tour altogether along the way).

16 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Had a couple of people on Snapchat who were there and posting stories of his set. Everyone just seemed to be stood around talking in every video.

to be fair i went into work today and everyone asked me why did he play new songs...

where i was nobody was talking but i can imagine it was terrible elsewhere. I wasnt at the front for RTJ slightly further back and it was totally dead. 

Just now, TiZuff said:

to be fair i went into work today and everyone asked me why did he play new songs...

where i was nobody was talking but i can imagine it was terrible elsewhere. I wasnt at the front for RTJ slightly further back and it was totally dead. 

Glad I didn't end up going now. Had the day off and a friend popped up on Facebook selling two Sunday tickets for £50 each (dunno how much face value was) and I was tempted. Decided against it as I'm quite poor atm and seeing RTJ at Glasto anyway.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

Glad I didn't end up going now. Had the day off and a friend popped up on Facebook selling two Sunday tickets for £50 each (dunno how much face value was) and I was tempted. Decided against it as I'm quite poor atm and seeing RTJ at Glasto anyway.

easily the worst festival ive ever been to and i only went from 5-12 because i had to be in work. I only went to see Frank so that was worth it for me.

Oh btw as a side note, who was there for the DJ before Frank? He played Everything in its right right place by Radiohead! Me and this 1 other guy next to me lost our shit hahah. its a sign... its playing at glastonbury :) 

10 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

sounds like people thought they were down the pub, having a good old natter over a no-mark playing jazz in the background. what a shambles

17 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

easily the worst festival ive ever been to and i only went from 5-12 because i had to be in work. I only went to see Frank so that was worth it for me.

Oh btw as a side note, who was there for the DJ before Frank? He played Everything in its right right place by Radiohead! Me and this 1 other guy next to me lost our shit hahah. its a sign... its playing at glastonbury :) 

That was benji b playing. Saw it on his Instagram and looked like you were the only 2 who enjoyed it!

I spoke through the whole thing from about 15 mins in after he'd shown up 35 minutes late and then started playing a fucking mess of a set with no acknowledgement from him that he'd shown up late. I think he started Solo again twice. Dickhead. Don't knock the crowd if you weren't there cos you don't know what it was like, I've been to plenty of gigs and festivals and I've never once not paid a set full attention but this didn't deserve it at all. The 1975 the night before were incredible (seriously that set belonged headlining Glastonbury) and the crowd was great. I've lost all respect for Frank though and I urge people not to buy tickets for him in future.

14 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I spoke through the whole thing from about 15 mins in after he'd shown up 35 minutes late and then started playing a fucking mess of a set with no acknowledgement from him that he'd shown up late. I think he started Solo again twice. Dickhead. Don't knock the crowd if you weren't there cos you don't know what it was like

yeah I get that, sorry, wasn't what I meant. Obviously if an act can't hold a crowd's attention that's not the crowd's fault. The staging sounds ludicrous and if you come on stage late, whether it's your fault or not, it's not okay to mess around when your set does eventually start. And I doubt the bookers would've been so keen to blow their whole budget on him if they'd known at the time what a shocking setlist he was going to tour with, either. There's no excuse for headlining a festival and only playing one hit. 

But, at the same time, if people book tickets to a gig honestly expecting an artist known for always moving forward to be still be playing most of an album that's five years old when they've released one and a half records since then, then the disappointment when said artist plays stuff that the crowd haven't bothered getting to know despite it being openly available... that's on the shoulders of the crowd alone man.

Edited by Zac Quinn

2 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

yeah I get that, sorry, wasn't what I meant. Obviously if an act can't hold a crowd's attention that's not the crowd's fault. And I doubt the bookers would've been so keen to blow their whole budget on him if they'd known at the time what a shocking setlist he was going to tour with, either. There's no excuse for headlining a festival and only playing one hit. But, at the same time, if people book tickets to a gig honestly expecting an artist known for always moving forward to be still be playing most of an album that's five years old when they've released out one and a half records since then, the disappointment when said artist plays stuff that despite being openly available they haven't bothered getting to know... that's on the shoulders of the crowd alone man.

Yeah but I've heard Blonde and I've heard most the singles he's put out this year and I still didn't know a lot of songs. I don't think anyone can be expected to know the Endless stuff, nobody talks about that music ever. And then when he starts Solo again twice even though we all know it nobody is enjoying that.

It's hard for me to get across how bad it was basically. It wasn't a case of "great performance but shame the crowd only knew Pyramids and Lost", it was a case of "nobody knows a lot of these songs and even when there's a song they do know it's a shit performance".

Radiohead are constantly moving forward. They wouldn't dream of playing a festival and neglecting the 90s stuff almost entirely. He gave not one shit about his fans who had paid good money to see him and he made it very clear.

4 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Yeah but I've heard Blonde and I've heard most the singles he's put out this year and I still didn't know a lot of songs. I don't think anyone can be expected to know the Endless stuff, nobody talks about that music ever. And then when he starts Solo again twice even though we all know it nobody is enjoying that.

It's hard for me to get across how bad it was basically. It wasn't a case of "great performance but shame the crowd only knew Pyramids and Lost", it was a case of "nobody knows a lot of these songs and even when there's a song they do know it's a shit performance".

Radiohead are constantly moving forward. They wouldn't dream of playing a festival and neglecting the 90s stuff almost entirely. He gave not one shit about his fans who had paid good money to see him and he made it very clear.

Yeah as I said the other day, I always thought Endless was him taking the piss to get out of his old record contract so I'm surprised to say the least that any of that has turned up in setlists a year later let alone at the expense of Pyramids etc. I really hope he isn't going to become one of these tossers that refuses to play songs people know just because people know them. Really sorry you had such a bad night man.

Edited by Zac Quinn