Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

So new Thom and Johnny project The Smile premiering for the Glastonbury stream tonight. Exciting (for us lot. Undoubtedly a massive downer for everybody else 😅)

Excited to hear it! 

Any guesses what this will sound like? Will they bust out some Radiohead tunes, or entirely new material? Definitely has my interest!

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

Any guesses what this will sound like? Will they bust out some Radiohead tunes, or entirely new material? Definitely has my interest!

Must be new material, doesn't seem like they would get some random (no idea who Tom Skinner is, sorry) to do Radiohead tunes when they could just get the other three in. Wouldn't be surprised if it's some odd classical and / or electronic sound. Nigel being involved suggests the latter. 

Just now, sirjonnyp said:

Must be new material, doesn't seem like they would get some random (no idea who Tom Skinner is, sorry) to do Radiohead tunes when they could just get the other three in. Wouldn't be surprised if it's some odd classical and / or electronic sound. Nigel being involved suggests the latter. 

Hopefully for their sake they at least end with a Radiohead tune, otherwise it's a bit of a weird surprise guest slot...the three of them doing some obscure electronic stuff that no one's ever heard for 30 minutes. I'm here for it, but not sure many others would be 😄

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/may/22/radioheads-thom-yorke-and-jonny-greenwood-form-new-project-the-smile

Turns out he's the Sons of Kemet drummer. Weird / exciting that this made the news section of the Grauniad. I've just got back from a fairly lame evening and I have to sleep in the spare room because Mrs P is getting up at 5am to watch eurovision, but now I don't feel so bad. 

edit: meant to say (internet got cut off due me rearranging to speakers around the tv so Mrs P can plug in in the morning) that Sons of Kemet were by far superior on the Park than the middle of the road bilge that followed them. Fight me. 

Edited by sirjonnyp

Wellllllllllll that was fucking great! I was stoked but preparing myself to be whelmed when it turned out to just be another bleepy Thom project, but it was far from that. There were a good few tunes in there that would’ve been really incredible Radiohead songs in the vein of Bodysnatchers or Jigsaw Falling in to Place.

Hope we’re getting an album or something from this project soon, and hope they can also bring this energy to the next Radiohead album rather than it being a way of letting off steam outside of the main band. 

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

I wonder what the longevity of The Smile will be. Is it going to be an on-going project or a one-off to road test new Radiohead material, the way Thom and Jonny have done in the past.

Wouldn’t be upset if it’s the latter and these tunes end up on the Radiohead record in a form or other. If those tunes are essentially LP10 demos we’re in for a treat.

5 minutes ago, scattered_screens said:

Someone noticed on the radiohead subreddit that all these songs were getting copyright strikes against them when they uploaded the set. Surely that means the songs are done? It was XL records claiming the strikes to which adds up. 

Ah I’ve missed a good bit of Radiohead sleuthing! Hopefully this means an album is not far on the horizon. 

I'm split, absolutely loved the new material, especially the keyboard tunes, that first one that Thom plays is disgustingly good. From the digging over on r/radiohead it seemed like The Smile have an album ready to go, and I would much prefer these songs to end up on LP10. I reckon SotS might go back to Radiohead, but these new songs will remain with The Smile, and LP10 is at least another two years away. It's great that Jonny and Thom have been working together on these though, hopefully it inspires them to get the other three back in the studio with them. 

Whatever happens this was excellent. Reminded me of the 2011 era - unexpectedly finding out on the day and them playing a load of great new material on the park plus later the basement stuff. it may not be under the Radiohead title but it feels a lot more like it than Atoms for Peace and Modern Boxes

5 hours ago, DJL said:

Whatever happens this was excellent. Reminded me of the 2011 era - unexpectedly finding out on the day and them playing a load of great new material on the park plus later the basement stuff. it may not be under the Radiohead title but it feels a lot more like it than Atoms for Peace and Modern Boxes

The thing that struck me is that these songs sounded much, much further along than that 2011 set. Compare the renditions in 2011 with the versions of the same songs as played in 2017 and it's clear they weren't finished.

The songs played last night sounded done. Like they'd been playing them together for ages.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...