Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

5 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I am never ever watching Radiohead in Manchester again. Will always go South. Far too many talkers, "play creep!" types, which shouldn't have surprised me to be honest but I still tried 3 times over the years! 

I strongly disagree.

Their 2008 show at Old Trafford (cricket ground) was one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to.

3 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

Did both Glastonbury and then Manchester after and looking back I remember the crowd being a lot better at Manchester. Granted, we were about ten rows back, dead center and had good access to a bar at Manchester, but everything was a bit more relaxed.

I was also at the second o2 show in 2012 somewhere in the middle of standing and there were quite a few 'play creep' w*nkers next to us. They finished the main set on Paranoid Android and as it got to the first loud part one of the lads lads lads turned to us and yelled 'are you ready to mosh lads?!' I finally blew my top and yelled back to fuck off and amazingly they stopped being dicks. 

Worst Radiohead crowd I've been in was definitely the Northern V gig in 2006. We waited all day and got second row, but had to put up with a lot of the worst sort of festival crowd types. One group were constantly loud, drunk and abusive, yet weirdly knew all of the lyrics to the Keane set. Switched back to being awful during Beck and then two of them went straight over the front barrier within the first song of Radiohead. 

You're probably better off picking a nice sounding venue abroad and going there!

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I strongly disagree.

Their 2008 show at Old Trafford (cricket ground) was one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to.

I think I just need to get there earlier and get better spots to be honest. I was at the 08 cricket ground one and had the same experience with the crowd as 2017 (though sound was top notch so the talking was less of a problem).

I did enjoy V06 - was at the Staffs one too - but was a lot further back and the crowd around us was bad but only in a "not too sure what's going on" way. But they were surprisingly respectful. For my first Radiohead gig that was the most perfect setlist....

Oh and I did Manchester in that 2012 tour and its fair to say it wasn't a setlist that would suit many older or casual fans, though Planet Telex was very special and the only time I've seen that one.

Edited by efcfanwirral

Yeah the 2012 setlists were pretty alienating for the casuals. Had a look back at the three UK setlists and Manchester definitely had the best one, our London show the least good, but we had a mini-In Rainbows set run of Videotape, Nude, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, Reckoner that was pretty perfect. 

Someone uploaded the whole 2017 set on to youtube and I watched it back for the first time since then this evening while watching the cricket. I had downloaded the sound back then and listened to it a few times, but bejesus, what a set. I remember on here beforehand everyone was worried about whether Thom would get Nude right. The fools.

I only just got around to listening to the Adam Buxton / EOB podcast. What a hoot. I enjoyed how Ed appeared to know nothing about the OKC leaks and almost contradicted himself. I smell a rat. I love how Count Buckuleez described how he put together his own OKC compilation from the tapes. And I especially how EOB fessed up to being the most 'cosmic' member of Radiohead and meeting Elvis at Reading. 

Urgh I fucking love Radiohead. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

Someone uploaded the whole 2017 set on to youtube and I watched it back for the first time since then this evening while watching the cricket. I had downloaded the sound back then and listened to it a few times, but bejesus, what a set. I remember on here beforehand everyone was worried about whether Thom would get Nude right. The fools.

I only just got around to listening to the Adam Buxton / EOB podcast. What a hoot. I enjoyed how Ed appeared to know nothing about the OKC leaks and almost contradicted himself. I smell a rat. I love how Count Buckuleez described how he put together his own OKC compilation from the tapes. And I especially how EOB fessed up to being the most 'cosmic' member of Radiohead and meeting Elvis at Reading. 

They've got a limited edition T-Shirt on sale at the moment.

https://store.wasteheadquarters.com/

I've bought one myself. But I've, also, vowed not to be, Covid, sold anything else, unless it's a concert ticket, or a Glastonbury ticket. :roadrage:

Edited by stt11
spelling

20 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

I have a habit of feeling far too destroyed and delicate after Glastonbury to want to watch any of the footage upon returning home for fear of just breaking down in to a blubbering mess so I’m pretty sure this is my first time watching this back since being there. So glad somebody uploaded it - what a treat. Naysayers be damned, it was one of the best sets I’ve ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I like Beyoncé’s Lemonade, but better than OK Computer? Many would argue it isn’t even her best album.

And maybe one day In Rainbows will get the recognition it deserves, but I suppose when such timeless classics as Harry Styles - Fine Lines and Billie Eilish’s album are being released in recent years it was always gonna be a fight to make the list.

Edited by FloorFiller
Words

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Now I like Beyoncé’s Lemonade, but better than OK Computer? Many would argue it isn’t even her best album.

And maybe one day In Rainbows will get the recognition it deserves, but I suppose when such timeless classics as Harry Styles - Fine Lines and Billie Eilish’s album are being released both in a single year it was always gonna be a fight to make the list.

😄

• 2 weeks later...

Of the many things that bugs me about that list is that there seems to be no effort whatsoever in ranking outside of the top ten. It seems like the person compiling has started writing the list, realised that he hadn't named anything from The Bends in a while, so puts down two Bends songs in a row. Then does the same thing shortly after for Amnesiac. Then HTTT. Then AMSP. Repeat. 

That said, putting HTDC in at 26 clearly makes him an idiot. So there is no merit in this list anyway. 

Moving on, I came across this fantastic article / set of interviews about In Rainbows recently when I was looking up something about HTTT. It's worth a look just for how small the profile shots make Thommo look compared to the others. I swear he isn't that tiny and it's just bad editing? There's no way he's shorter than Colin?

http://www.radiohead.fr/une-interview-dans-mojo/

25 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

Moving on, I came across this fantastic article / set of interviews about In Rainbows recently when I was looking up something about HTTT. It's worth a look just for how small the profile shots make Thommo look compared to the others. I swear he isn't that tiny and it's just bad editing? There's no way he's shorter than Colin?

http://www.radiohead.fr/une-interview-dans-mojo/

According to Google:

Thom Yorke - 1.66 m
Colin Greenwood -1.74 m

• Upvote 1