Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

Being right down the front the sound was fine for me, but I've been reading that people had issues with it all weekend. 

Actually preffered this show to the London one I went too. Was great having the alternatives to what was played in London, and the crowd was brilliant where I was. You could hear a pin drop during Exit Music. 

8 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

Seen them at nos. They weren't very good. The sound was awful and some songs sounded terrible due to it.

Exit music was the highlight and encore onwards sounded a lot better. So let down after how much I'd built it up. Tame Impala suffered from the same problem an hour before as well. The mainstage shut 2 hours early that day so im thinking there was maybe some sound restrictions or something

Still enjoyed the set like but Hot Chip, Arcade Fire, Chemical Brothers, Grimes and Foals were a lot better

I see what you did there :)

2 hours ago, CHRLY said:

Being right down the front the sound was fine for me, but I've been reading that people had issues with it all weekend. 

Actually preffered this show to the London one I went too. Was great having the alternatives to what was played in London, and the crowd was brilliant where I was. You could hear a pin drop during Exit Music. 

We were about 5 rows behind the pit barrier on the left or whatever it's called and a friend was right at the front who had similar issues with the sound

We got speaking to someone in the campsite who went to one of the amsterdam gigs and 2 of the paris ones and he said they were a hell of a lot better there

Dont get me wrong some parts were great but quite a few songs fell flat. Daydreaming was the only AMSP song I was impressed with. The OKC, The Bends era and In Rainbows tracks were all great as well. Lotus flower was awful and that was the highlight for me in 2012

Speaking of issues though I thought the 2nd stage had one of the best sound systems I've heard at a fest. Grimes and Hot Chip where mental. Kill vs Maim was the song of the weekend

2 hours ago, donkeykong said:

I did a lot of checking of various positions for best sound ahead of Radiohead after I found Chemical Brothers too quiet the night before, so didn't have much of a problem sound-wise. The sound definitely improved after the first five songs (and I still don't think they've got Burn the Witch right live) and got better throughout. 

Someone above mentioned not enjoying Lotus Flower, whereas it was one of my favourites. Overall a great setlist but really hope they go on tour and play indoors next year. Loved them at the O2 on the last tour

Yeah, I echo all of this. 

The quietness of the sound was more noticeable for Chems than Radiohead, and that's even considering I was closer to the front for Chems. By the time they played Iron Lung, it was pretty much spot on. They could have turned it up a bit, but I wasn't too concerned overall.

Burn the Witch is really disappointing live. It's a bit of anti-climax when they walk on stage to it tbh. I'm sure the sound issues at the start didn't help matters, but from seeing clips of other shows it certainly seems as though it needs a lot of work.

Lotus Flower was superb. As a staunch "TKOL can get the fuck out of their setlists" guy, it was one of the highlights of the show. 

It'll be fascinating to see how they change up the setlists if/when they return next year.

23 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yeah, I echo all of this. 

The quietness of the sound was more noticeable for Chems than Radiohead, and that's even considering I was closer to the front for Chems. By the time they played Iron Lung, it was pretty much spot on. They could have turned it up a bit, but I wasn't too concerned overall.

Burn the Witch is really disappointing live. It's a bit of anti-climax when they walk on stage to it tbh. I'm sure the sound issues at the start didn't help matters, but from seeing clips of other shows it certainly seems as though it needs a lot of work.

Lotus Flower was superb. As a staunch "TKOL can get the fuck out of their setlists" guy, it was one of the highlights of the show. 

It'll be fascinating to see how they change up the setlists if/when they return next year.

Another here who thought Chems weren't great soundwise but radiohead were OK. The wind hit Arcade Fire's set badly on Sat too. Had a blast overall despite the "gig in a car park" feel

35 minutes ago, Filthy said:

Another here who thought Chems weren't great soundwise but radiohead were OK. The wind hit Arcade Fire's set badly on Sat too. Had a blast overall despite the "gig in a car park" feel

I think Glastonbury just raises our expectations too high :P

• Upvote 1

other than burn the witch (first song), i felt the sound was fine. i was a couple of rows behind the pit barrier in the middle. i was kind of blown away by radiohead (never seen them live before).  Didnt think they would work well in a festival atmosphere but it was incredible. 

and hell YES to whoever said the Heineken stage was incredible for kill vs maim! what a set that was!

19 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

I'm the opposite. The chems had so much better sound for me

Shit to hear that some parts of the field must have been a lot better than others

Yeah I agree with this, had no issues during Chems. And only a teeny tiny issue with the sound during Radiohead where I was... their set was still outstanding!

Hot Chip after made for the perfect evening :)

Stood near the speaker mid-way back as I don't care about getting that close and the sound was perfect for Chems, Radiohead, Arcade Fire and all the other bands I seen there. Shame for all those that made the effort to get close to be rewarded with bad sound.

Still great festival, not sure we'll see a lineup like it again though.

I experienced an urge this evening. I had a slash then decided I'd put the following question to a very respected collection of music lovers, in fact, radiohead lovers

Why does Pablo Honey automatically finish at the bottom of everyones' list? I love it and when my old man said that Stop Whispering had sent shivers up his spine when he heard it on 6music a few days ago, I thought, yeah, I know what you mean.

So what's the beef?

(written by someone who doesn't think radiohead have ever done a sub-par album)

5 hours ago, Jugtanion said:

I experienced an urge this evening. I had a slash then decided I'd put the following question to a very respected collection of music lovers, in fact, radiohead lovers

Why does Pablo Honey automatically finish at the bottom of everyones' list? I love it and when my old man said that Stop Whispering had sent shivers up his spine when he heard it on 6music a few days ago, I thought, yeah, I know what you mean.

So what's the beef?

It's too ordinary. Sounds like any guitar band of the mid 90s could have made it, which can't be said for the rest of their output. 

7 hours ago, Jugtanion said:

So what's the beef?

It's a good question! Thinking About You is one of my favorite Radiohead songs! But, as the previous poster said, it's not anywhere near distinctive as their other albums. 

10 hours ago, Jugtanion said:

So what's the beef?

A lot of people haven't actually listened to it and rag on it because they presume it's not worth listening too / for a joke. But you're right- it's half decent! Blow Out is better, or at least as good as, most tracks on The Bends.

But really, what other RH album are you going to put behind it?

Edited by Chawk