The Nal

Radiohead Headlining 2017

10 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I love the atmosphere of Little by Little and can’t really understand the lack of love for it (even from the band, given how often they play the bugger).

It's the annoyingly repetitive drum loop, the lack of melodic invention and inspiring structure that makes me not love it. And Thom sounds particularly whiney without being expressive.

It's still better than the Magpie song, probably worse than Feral. Together, the weakest three track run since Pabs.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's the annoyingly repetitive drum loop, the lack of melodic invention and inspiring structure that makes me not love it. And Thom sounds particularly whiney without being expressive.

It's still better than the Magpie song, probably worse than Feral. Together, the weakest three track run since Pabs.

I'll at least agree with you over Mr Magpie & Feral. The former I was rather disappointed with as it was one of their songs that I really liked from the versions I'd heard prior to release, and was rather underwhelmed by the finished product.

I really like TKOL, definitely top 5 for me. Other than Feral I don’t think there’s a weak song on it and even that works well in the context of the album.

9 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Bloom is too dense and knotted

I know what you mean. I think the fundamental composition is sound, but after hearing the Blue Planet version, I don't think those drums do the song any favours at all. You would think the juxtaposition of repetitive beats over an organic backdrop would be effective and hypnotic, but it doesn't work. I would say that Bloom works the best of their problematic tracks. It's mainly the drums (and the brick wall compression) that are wrong with Bloom.

The more I think about it, the more I think their digital collage recording approach on this album in the whole doesn't work. The timing of the way samples are dropped in isn't quite right. 

Other than Separator, of course. That's pretty much a perfect recording. The drum loop does work on that song, probably because the underlying song is pretty repetitive, so you do get that hypnotic effect.

If there's one thing in life I struggle to understand,  it's the dislike of TKOL, it's probably my favourite Radiohead album. I agree that tracks 2, 3 and 4 aren't great, but the rest are some of my favourite Radiohead tracks of all time.

5 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

If there's one thing in life I struggle to understand,  it's the dislike of TKOL, it's probably my favourite Radiohead album. I agree that tracks 2, 3 and 4 aren't great, but the rest are some of my favourite Radiohead tracks of all time.

That's almost half the album!

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

That's almost half the album!

Fair point! But track 4 is the only one I don't like at all, and all Radiohead albums have stuff I don't care for ... and the rest of TKOL is so good!

Or maybe I just love it more than I should cos I think it's hatred isn't deserved.

For whatever reason, I keep going back to it.

Edited by Little Andy

Thom’s Suspiria soundtrack is out on October 26th. Looking forward to it, wasn’t really expecting vocals on it.

9 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Where do yas reckon he'd play if he did turn up? Park headline?

Another secret set on the Park seems the most Yorke thing to do tbh.

I reckon JP headliner but it's a hard one to guess. I feel like he'd get a really big crowd for that stage but equally the thought of him play an evening set on the Other stage just feels wrong. I don't expect him to play at all though unless it's a secret set.