Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

23 minutes ago, airwaves said:

I reckon Ed Sheeran should give Radiohead the telephone number of his set and visuals designer 

yep. Have a lot of time for the 'Head, and their set was fantastic for what it was, but on a 'festival headliner' level they really were embarrassed by both the Foos last night and now Sheeran tonight.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

yep. Have a lot of time for the 'Head, and their set was fantastic for what it was, but on a 'festival headliner' level they really were embarrassed by both the Foos last night and now Sheeran tonight.

Radiohead are what they are, they were never going to pull out some masses pleasing set with Thom Yorke charging about amping up the crowd. They were my festival highlight and I enjoyed them immensely more than I did the Foo Fighters (and I'm a fan of both). The whole area around me falling silent when they came up and starting up Daydreaming was beautiful 

Edited by Mouseboy11
  • Upvote 1

Still don't get the setlist criticism. Watch it back on iplayer. The second track they played was one of the biggest sing alongs of the show. 

Radiohead turned up a played a set that will stick with fans for the rest of their lives. It was exactly what the fans wanted. If some people turned up wanting them to play Creep within the first 5 songs, that's their problem. Even the most casual fans know what to expect with Radiohead, and they delivered about as good a Radiohead set as possible in 2017.

• Upvote 5

I loved it so much. I was going completely nuts throughout the entirety of the set, front and centre of crowd. I wouldn't change a thing, it was by far the best experience I've ever had seeing music live and probably one of the best nights of my life. It was just perfect. 

I don't suppose anyone here is the owner of that brilliant In Rainbows at Glastonbury flag? I was near-ish both for Radiohead and Justice but didn't get a chance to tell them how great their flag looked. 

• Upvote 2

I wasn't too close as with casuals and have to echo most that was said here. 

Can't complain about the setlist and I got Let Down which was everything I needed. 

The screens were a massive disappointment. Those around me could only engage when the big tunes came out. From There There on everyone was pretty into it though. 

Oh my gooooood. After the Radiohead set I turned my phone on to a barrage of texts. Turns out I was filmed during the "can't help the feeling" part of Fake Plastic Trees. Can't name the number of times I've seen the 97 and 03 sets online, so having a little showing means the absolute world to me. 

Anyway, apart from the narcissism...

Great set. My favourite thing about Radiohead is how the last two tours have really aimed for an atmosphere they want to create with the Setlist, with very little pandering for hits.  And every song sounded like it could have been part of the same album, which is all kinds of amazing considering their broad range. It was only after the set I realised what they hadn't played - no National Anthem, no All I Need, no Gloaming (!!). Pleasant surprise to get sooooo much OKC, but I kinda hyped that they'd play more of the new album considering how few UK shows they're playing - would have loved Identikit to show up in that set. Guess that's what Manchester is for.

Edited by fowls

17 hours ago, kalifire said:

It's not a question of 'should', it just marks the difference between gig and festival. The onus of responsibility isn't on the festival goer to go and educate themselves on the back catalogue of the acts they want to see. It's up to the band to provide an accessible set. Foo Fighters did that, to an extent. Radiohead disappeared up their own arse, to an extent. The fact they played a song or three from a very popular album doesn't matter if it's not crowd friendly. 

Sorry but you keep on parroting this rubbish and it only reads more and more stupid every time you do it. This set was very different to their usual gigs. They only played two songs off their most recent album.

This was about as festival friendly a set as Radiohead could have done. Creep. Street Spirit. Fake Plastic Trees. Paranoid Android. No Surprises. There There. Those are songs that people into music in general but not really into Radiohead would know. But then surely those people would be at one of the other stages? Even they'd likely know those.

Then you'd have people who like a bit of Radiohead, probably the early stuff enough to be familiar with the earlier albums. They'd know Airbag, Lucky, Let Down and Exit Music too. 

Lotus Flower was a fairly recent radio single with a video that got a lot of attention. Pyramid Song hit no3 when it came out. Idioteque was very well known too. We're already up to over half of the set. 

In Rainbows won a whole new generation of fans and they played three songs off that. Myxo and 2+2=5 might not be as well known but they're very upbeat festival friendly songs. 

They didnt "disappear up their own arses". The Foos had a clutch of great songs which they opened with and ended with but in the middle there was a lot of stuff casual fans wouldn't have known. One of their most famous songs (Monkey Wrench) Dave can't sing properly anymore so rather than having the amazing urgency and speed of their recorded version we got an anticlimactic crowd singalong. The drummer went up and did a shit Queen cover. Maybe the masses find that more pleasing but thank god Radiohead aren't a band who do that sort of stuff. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

I can't believe how anyone can criticise the setlist at all. The atmosphere in the area I was in was electric, huge singalongs and group hugs with strangers. As far as I can see it was a greatest hits selection from across all their albums even though there was a focus on their most critically and commercially successful album. I'm a Radiohead fan but by no means to the extent as most on this thread, so probably fall somewhere between a casual and a bed wetter and that set fell perfectly IMO in the middle - perfectly accessible for the casual yet a broad enough spectrum for the die hards. I'm sure some people would rather they had played Just instead of Bloom but equally there'll be those gutted they didn't play Reckoner yet played Creep, Paranoid Android etc which have been done to death.

Massive fan but the first 6/7 songs was pretty flat where I was stood - mainly because a lot were chatting and some leaving. This was definitely hugely influenced because of the screens. People were moaning about not knowing what was going on. This was fine for the big songs, but for the ones early doors what was happening on stage was being lost to those that couldn't see it.

Was feeling quite worried for the set.

However rom Everything in its Right Place it really built and the last hour was simply sublime and the place was rocking. Even songs like Nude and Lotus Flower were getting huge reactions.

Highlights atmosphere wise were 2 + 2 = 5, Fake Plastic Trees and Creep.

I've waited a long time to see Radiohead, and this sure didn't disappoint. Sure the screens may have been a problem for those further back, but down along the second barrier where I was the atmosphere was absolutely incredible all the way through - I think myself and a 100 strong group around me sung along almost throughout the entire show. They were great, the crowd I was a part of was great and Thom was great. My weekend highlight by far.

Absolutely amazing. Just built and built throughout the set. Thought the sound was a bit shit earlier on, but it got considerably better later on.

Also agreed on the screens being w*nk. Pretentious and unnecessary for a Glastonbury headline slot. Just show the band doing their thing just like everyone else.

Unfortunately got a shit spot as arrived late after future islands.  Sound was great track list was great could have done with a bit more of band on screens from where we where but will hopefully get better spot at old Trafford next week. As been said before lots of hilights in set . 

Wasn't surprised by the visuals - they were exactly the same as when I saw them in Reading '09.

Was fairly far forward. I'm very much a casual Radiohead fan, but was watching with three super fans who all said it was the best gig they've ever been to. Their reaction to the set list throughout the night meant certainly helped me enjoy myself, and the majority of the set sounded spot on to me.

Spoke to a fair few people who thought they were awful though.  It probably wasn't the best gig to see if you're not familiar with the band.

On 6/24/2017 at 8:07 PM, arcade fireman said:

One thing we can all agree on is those screens! I don't know why they thought that would be a good idea! 

Cuz those of us tonto on you name it were pie-eyed at the spectacle.