Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I won't lie, I was pissed off with the band for not doing Glastonbury around that time. I never knew if it was their decision not to play our festival in 2009, but I knew they'd fucked Michael off in 2008. It was very odd, I wonder why? Was 2003 still too recent?

IIRC they had been asked around that time but they really didn’t want to become a Glastonbury house band and so chose to do a bunch of other festivals that they weren’t so familiar with.

I’m not a huge fan of Radiohead (Kid A is the only album that has clicked with me) but have enjoyed their festival headline sets.
For me, 2017 Glastonbury is the weakest of the four performances I’ve seen. I’m sure for huge fans it was the best thing ever but for a casual, not so much. Preferred 2003 at Glastonbury, this Reading set and V.

On 8/29/2020 at 12:47 AM, Ryan1984 said:

I’m sure for huge fans it was the best thing ever but for a casual, not so much. Preferred 2003 at Glastonbury, this Reading set and V.

Confused. Wasn't their Glasto 2017 set the most casual friendly set they've ever played? They've pretty much done all of their big songs (and close to no new ones...). Even 2003 didn't have Creep and Let Down.

Karma Police, Nude, Pyramid Song, 2+2=5, Street Spirit, Paranoid Android, Lucky, Airbag, Exit Music, Idioteque, Fake Plastic Trees, Reckoner, Lotus Flower and No Surprises all in one set. (Only My Iron Lung, Just, Burn The Witch, High & Dry and There There could have been added in terms of 'big songs')

22 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Confused. Wasn't their Glasto 2017 set the most casual friendly set they've ever played? They've pretty much done all of their big songs (and close to no new ones...). Even 2003 didn't have Creep and Let Down.

Karma Police, Nude, Pyramid Song, 2+2=5, Street Spirit, Paranoid Android, Lucky, Airbag, Exit Music, Idioteque, Fake Plastic Trees, Reckoner, Lotus Flower and No Surprises all in one set. (Only My Iron Lung, Just, Burn The Witch, High & Dry and There There could have been added in terms of 'big songs')

They left most until the encore or late in the set?

This was the V set - The Bends! 
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/2006/hylands-park-chelmsford-england-73d6f235.html

I've bought a fancy new soundbar recently, so just remembered that I have the 2017 set on hand.

Bloody hell, they were good. Whether it was as good as other gigs, or fan friendly - I don't really care. It was fan-bloody-tastic. Ful Stop sounded more massive than the record, the guitar on OKC and Bends sounded more visceral than the records.

It's a shame that people further back didn't get the full experience, but look at the faces on the coverage of those near the front - Radiohead live are a transcendental experience.

They're just a really fucking good live band aren't they?

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 3

On 8/30/2020 at 12:01 PM, Ryan1984 said:

They left most until the encore or late in the set?

This was the V set - The Bends! 
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/2006/hylands-park-chelmsford-england-73d6f235.html

We got The Bends at Manchester 2 weeks after Glasto 2017. Shame about the sound, atmosphere and the fact it wasn't Glastonbury...which I missed for my ex's friend's wedding...

I am never ever watching Radiohead in Manchester again. Will always go South. Far too many talkers, "play creep!" types, which shouldn't have surprised me to be honest but I still tried 3 times over the years! 

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

We got The Bends at Manchester 2 weeks after Glasto 2017. Shame about the sound, atmosphere and the fact it wasn't Glastonbury...which I missed for my ex's friend's wedding...

I am never ever watching Radiohead in Manchester again. Will always go South. Far too many talkers, "play creep!" types, which shouldn't have surprised me to be honest but I still tried 3 times over the years! 

Huh, I had a totally opposite experience to that. Atmosphere at Manchester was fantastic where I was stood and they sounded as good as Glastonbury, just a tough quieter. The atmosphere at Glastonbury was better, but it was still great.

When they walked on to Let Down the crowd lost their shit and sang every word where I was stood! Special night.

• Upvote 1

I was expecting Radiohead to play at the Echo Arena, last time they toured. They didn't do any UK shows, so they didn't. But I can't see them playing there, next time they tour the UK. Thom Yorke doesn't seem to touch Liverpool. So I don't hold out much hope.

That gives me the option of either Manchester or London. I went to see the The 1975 in the Millenium Dome last year. I like the Millenium Dome and the travel options aren't too bad for London.

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

Huh, I had a totally opposite experience to that. Atmosphere at Manchester was fantastic where I was stood and they sounded as good as Glastonbury, just a tough quieter. The atmosphere at Glastonbury was better, but it was still great.

When they walked on to Let Down the crowd lost their shit and sang every word where I was stood! Special night.

Ha I'm jealous-  I was just surrounded by the usual moody lot. Could barely hear what was happening on stage but i was quite far back - I'm presuming the less than ideal nature of having to move to the cricket ground on  a month's notice meant the compromise was lower sound levels than if it was a properly organised gig? 

I saw an actual full on fight behind the sound desk during All I Need. Again I shouldn't have been surprised really but it was a strange one at a Radiohead gig....

Muse are another band I'm probably going go to see in London next time - I've found the same every time I've seen them since around 2006! 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Ha I'm jealous-  I was just surrounded by the usual moody lot. Could barely hear what was happening on stage but i was quite far back - I'm presuming the less than ideal nature of having to move to the cricket ground on  a month's notice meant the compromise was lower sound levels than if it was a properly organised gig? 

Muse are another band I'm probably going go to see in London next time - I've found the same every time I've seen them since around 2006! 

I rented the video Muse released, last week. It had a Pink Floyd, Wall type theme. It shows them playing live at the O2 last September.

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Did both Glastonbury and then Manchester after and looking back I remember the crowd being a lot better at Manchester. Granted, we were about ten rows back, dead center and had good access to a bar at Manchester, but everything was a bit more relaxed.

I was also at the second o2 show in 2012 somewhere in the middle of standing and there were quite a few 'play creep' w*nkers next to us. They finished the main set on Paranoid Android and as it got to the first loud part one of the lads lads lads turned to us and yelled 'are you ready to mosh lads?!' I finally blew my top and yelled back to fuck off and amazingly they stopped being dicks. 

Worst Radiohead crowd I've been in was definitely the Northern V gig in 2006. We waited all day and got second row, but had to put up with a lot of the worst sort of festival crowd types. One group were constantly loud, drunk and abusive, yet weirdly knew all of the lyrics to the Keane set. Switched back to being awful during Beck and then two of them went straight over the front barrier within the first song of Radiohead. 

You're probably better off picking a nice sounding venue abroad and going there!