Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

3 hours ago, jparx said:

Two bits of Radiohead news:

Ed confirming a new album definitely will happen, but no timescale https://www.nme.com/news/music/ed-obrien-radiohead-new-album-will-definitely-happen-2685882?amp

And, what for me was a surprise, OKC voted best of the 90s in the BBC poll https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/ultimate-90s-album

Obviously it is the best album of the 90s, and top 5 all time in my book, but surprised that BBC voters agreed. 

Interesting that they were planning on touring in 2021.

22 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Interesting that they were planning on touring in 2021.

I’d assume this was to road test some new material or something like they did in ‘06 before In Rainbows. I mean, they’ve not really long been off the road for AMSP so without new material it seems odd that they’d be up and touring again so soon. Guessing what with stuff being pushed back a year, we can probably just expect a new album and tour in 2022.

12 hours ago, jparx said:

Can't wait. In a way I'm more stoked for LP10 than I was 9. We already had a good sense of what LP9 would be and even knew some of the tracks that would be on it. 10 is a total mystery.

There are a couple of tracks that have been floating around that I would expect to see, Skirting on the Surface and Follow Me Around in particular, maybe Cut A Hole. That reworking of FMA that Johnny and Thom played a while ago sounded awesome. But yes, really can't wait to see where they go with it from such a blank page. I wouldn't be surprised to hear them veer back towards a KoL sound but who knows.

There was a theory doing the rounds after AMSP came out that it was the last Radiohead record - they used up a lot of leftover songs and (I think with Ill Wind) it brought their total number of released songs to exactly 100. Glad to see that theory well and truly dispelled now. 

Without trying to sound too much like hyperbole, I think the next Radiohead album could be THE stone cold classic. It will be the longest they have ever gone without writing significant new material since they formed. The context and era amongst a pandemic and the political turmoil of Brexit. How can it not be a masterpiece without even hearing a note?!

24 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Same logic with In Rainbows – a lengthy (back then) absence, no set formula, lots of ways it could go, reckoning with the after-wreckage of the Bush era. They got symphonic, gentle and turned out perfection.

whisper it possibly their best album

SHOUT IT LOUD AND PROUD!

8 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I’m leaving myself open to dissent there, but...

When you think of all the Zeppelins and Beatles and T’Heads and Stones and Kraftwerks and Floyds – and Bruces and Princes and Miles and Stevies (solo musicians who are as powerful on their one as any band), they all had an imperial phase of 8-15 years, more or less.

Radiohead come in after the rules of rock are established, at a time when it’s harder to make a genuinely revelatory impact. They do it anyway, and have longevity that outstrips the rest.

Put 2 and 2 together and you get the answer (5).

Esteemed company! 😉

tumblr_llmclsNVFY1qilr1c.gif 

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know Vinyl Junkies? The name rang a bell , but I'd never seen it before.  This is a first time list reaction video to Radiohead.  The listener is going through their albums.  He didn't like Pablo Honey, thought The Bends was ok.  There was a somewhat stronger reaction to OK Computer...

For some bizarre reason, the full thing is still up, songs and all - none of his other videos are (Kid A and Amnesiac are also there, but without the music, so not so good).  He does go on a bit, but gets genuinely moved by the record.  Well worth a watch.

• Upvote 2