Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Talking of live Vs studio, I never felt that the live versions of Myxomatosis  captured the fat skanky vibe of the record. From the dirty synth to the Bobby Gillespiesque vocals, I'd go for the record every time.

I agree. The National Anthem and Ful Stop on the other hand....

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Talking of live Vs studio, I never felt that the live versions of Myxomatosis  captured the fat skanky vibe of the record. From the dirty synth to the Bobby Gillespiesque vocals, I'd go for the record every time.

a good version of myxo with the added vocal effect on the chorus and other tweaks 

Edited by Chawk

7 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd go for Lotus Flower if it was the live version. But I can't stand the studio recording after Glastonbury.

Yeah I have to admit I was probably, unconsciously, thinking of the live version when I went for Lotus Flower. If I take that out completely I'd go for Codex. 

On 4/24/2020 at 4:31 PM, sirjonnyp said:

I assume that the 2006 Bonnaroo show is going to be one of the gigs that they put up in the weekly sessions, it really is their best show, so look forward to that one (or watch it on youtube now).

This is going to be this week's youtube gig, if you haven't seen it you're in for a right treat. 

Looking back, 2006 was a pretty odd tour. Taking a string of high paying, casual-fan-filled festival slots and road-testing up to half of In Rainbows on occasion. I was at the Stafford V Fest right at the front and remember Nude doing well (I had never heard of it at that point) but another new song (turned out to be All I Need) absolutely dying on its arse. That set also had five (five!) songs from The Bends in it, must have been one of the last times it featured so heavily in their sets. 

53 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

This is going to be this week's youtube gig, if you haven't seen it you're in for a right treat. 

Looking back, 2006 was a pretty odd tour. Taking a string of high paying, casual-fan-filled festival slots and road-testing up to half of In Rainbows on occasion. I was at the Stafford V Fest right at the front and remember Nude doing well (I had never heard of it at that point) but another new song (turned out to be All I Need) absolutely dying on its arse. That set also had five (five!) songs from The Bends in it, must have been one of the last times it featured so heavily in their sets. 

Yeah can’t wait to see this one. As you say, they were just road testing In Rainbows at the time so a few songs probably died on their arse in a festival setting, but looking back now those 2006 setlists look so damn stacked. 

This is too hard and it depends on mood.

PH: Anyone Can Play Guitar (I don’t ever listen to Creep. Not too bothered about it).

TB: Fake Plastic Trees

OK: Let Down

KA: Idioteque 

AM: Pyramid Song

HTTT: There There, Myxomatosis (you cant make me choose it is too hard and unfair).

IR: Reckoner or Weird Fishes. You can’t make me choose. Weird fishes is the easier listen though. 

TKOL: Lotus Flower (dat bass)

AMSP: Identikit or Daydreaming.

55 minutes ago, Dave85radiohead said:

If it was live my list would be almost completely different .

creep

fake plastic trees

karma police

idioteque

like spinning plates 

The gloaming

body snatchers 

lotus flower

ful stop

You seem to have mixed up The Gloaming with 2+2+5 (or There, There).

Otherwise, that's very close to my list of live versions.

9 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

It's interesting to see what songs people love that I've never got into. For example, I love the latest album, but Burn The Witch and Daydreaming have never overly grabbed me. Also, I didn't realise Weird Fishes was so popular.

Man you must've been a bit bummed when they were both released as singles prior to AMSP, or was the fact that it was new Radiohead enough to get you hyped regardless?

I don't recall being particularly enamoured with Weird Fishes when the album first came out, but I do remember seeing Thom and Jonny play it at the Park in 2010 and it just being so good, especially everybody doing the 'Edddddddddddddddddddd' bits, and it's just become one of my favourite songs by them and ever.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Man you must've been a bit bummed when they were both released as singles prior to AMSP, or was the fact that it was new Radiohead enough to get you hyped regardless?

Yeah good point, I wasn't overly fussed by the singles, but when the album came out it grew and grew on me as Radiohead always does ... just not really those 2 songs.

Tbh, seeing as the album is in alphabetical order, I honestly thought they chose those 2 songs as the singles simply because they came first alphabetically! But now I see that many other fans see them as standout tracks! (or maybe, people are subconsciously more drawn to the singles?)

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think Weird Fishes is absolutely splendid.  I liked it when it first came out and like it more than ever now, live or on record.

Tbh I think In Rainbows is doing the 'slowly growing' Radiohead thing more than any other album, for me. I honestly never really got into Reckoner until I saw its name mentioned so many times on here I kept trying to get into it. I like it now. I think it was watching some live versions on Youtube that got me more into it.

Or maybe I have different ears to normal humans, being a King Of Limbs advocate.

1 minute ago, Little Andy said:

Tbh I think In Rainbows is doing the 'slowly growing' Radiohead thing more than any other album, for me. I honestly never really got into Reckoner until I saw its name mentioned so many times on here I kept trying to get into it. I like it now. I think it was watching some live versions on Youtube that got me more into it.

Or maybe I have different ears to normal humans, being a King Of Limbs advocate.

Reckoner on the other hand has never really been one of my top songs.  I've nothing against it, it's... fine, more than fine I suppose, but it's never really grabbed me in the way some of their other songs have.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Reckoner on the other hand has never really been one of my top songs.  I've nothing against it, it's... fine, more than fine I suppose, but it's never really grabbed me in the way some of their other songs have.

That's the incredible thing about Radiohead. So many huge fans, all listening to completely different eras and songs within eras.

1 minute ago, Little Andy said:

I also believe there is a HUGE amount of The Bends fans out there who stop there and don't listen to the later stuff .... they just don't appear on this forum.

If your main vibe is 90's alt rock then The Bends is a staple. It's still a great album, but it sounds very of its time to me unlike what came after it. OK Computer and Kid A influenced tons of great music, but The Bends has probably influenced a fair amount of shite.

3 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

I also believe there is a HUGE amount of The Bends fans out there who stop there and don't listen to the later stuff .... they just don't appear on this forum.

Without doubt. You tend to see those fans on social media. Whenever 6 Music has a post re: later Radiohead stuff, they always come out in full force saying how Kid A was no good and it all went downhill from there.

Radiohead are one of those acts that have genuinely mastered a number of different genres, and if you're exclusively a fan of guitar driven indie music, it's easy to see how you wouldn't have any interest in Kid A onwards. Equally I know people who only got in to Radiohead when they started experiment more with their sound, and have no time for The Bends.

Not too many bands like that out there, and they tend to be among the greatest of all time.