Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

I saw 2017 as their last Glastonbury headline set around that time, and I really don’t see them coming back any time soon, but if they’re still a band in ten years time then yeah, why not? Could have two more albums out around then so headlining off the back of the second seems fair if they’re still up for it, but I don’t see it happening any sooner that.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The elephant in the room here is how their 2017 performance landed with non-fans.

My flat mate came and she realty doesn’t listen to them at all. I honestly was so worried she’d hate it because I always feel Radiohead a “you’re either in for it or you’re not” experience.  She loved it.

1 hour ago, jparx said:

I really felt like 2017 could be the last time.

Please don't do this to me. I missed out on them in 2017 as my first festival was last year. There is no other band I want to see headline Glastonbury. Knowing that they had The xx subbing and Royal Blood third down is enough damage, I can't take the thought that I'll never get the chance to see my favourite band of all time play my favourite place ever again.

18 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The elephant in the room here is how their 2017 performance landed with non-fans.

I’ve never understood why somebody would go to Glastonbury and see a band they weren’t a fan of. 

Sure at smaller festivals where choices may be more limited, but there’s hundreds of stages, surely there must be something on that takes their fancy?

Edited by nikkic

Just to say I don't necessarily think they will headline in 2023, and wouldn't be first choice, just that they could be back in contention by that point (i.e. if the first choice act falls through, and Radiohead are touring new material). Mid-latter half of the decade would be more likely, but I don't think it's a stretch to include them in a list of potentials starting in a few years.

For the last two years I've been hoping for Radiohead 2027. 30th anniversary of OK Computer and 20th anniversary of In Rainbows. They then play a set which includes a good number of songs from both and everyone's happy.

Yes, they do play Creep...

25 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Eh, it was a pure fan service set, and they’re not exactly a band who are gonna wow non-fans with loads of big showmanship or theatrics. They fucked up by having the screens not show the band performing which seemingly ruined any chance of converting non-believers near the back, and there’s the argument to be made that they could’ve thrown a couple of their bigger/earlier singles early in the set, but for those there who were genuine fans of the band, what was not to love?

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

I mean, I kinda feel like that's a narrative you've created on your own?

Not really.  It was divisive.  Plenty of people stayed to the end and enjoyed it, but plenty of people left.  

I wasn't there, but was at the Park for the Flaming Lips and the crowd by the end was relatively massive as people swept in from the Pyramid.

I'm not saying they wouldn't be booked again, but if they were to be it wouldn't be on the strength of their 2017 show.

40 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I’ve never understood why somebody would go to Glastonbury and see a band they weren’t a fan of. 

Sure at smaller festivals where choices may be more limited, but there’s hundreds of stages, surely there must be something on that takes their fancy?

I see lots of acts at Glastonbury I may not be a fan of but curious to see what the fuss is about.

I can see an indie band in an academy anywhere, for me GF is the place to see acts you wouldn’t normally pay to see. Sometimes it doesn’t end well but more often than not you find something to enjoy.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I see lots of acts at Glastonbury I may not be a fan of but curious to see what the fuss is about.

I can see an indie band in an academy anywhere, for me GF is the place to see acts you wouldn’t normally pay to see. Sometimes it doesn’t end well but more often than not you find something to enjoy.

100% on this. 

I would never pay to see Kylie, Beyoncé and Lionel for instance, but have seen them all at Glasto. 

Maybe I worded my original statement poorly, but I wouldn’t go and see somebody unless I at least liked some of their songs. Probably using the term “fan” was a little misleading. 

For instance, I recall a lot of folk saying they went to see Metallica out of curiosity, even though they openly disliked metal. 

Anyway back to Radiohead. 

I reckon they’ll headline again within the next 5 years....

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

100% on this. 

I would never pay to see Kylie, Beyoncé and Lionel for instance, but have seen them all at Glasto. 

Maybe I worded my original statement poorly, but I wouldn’t go and see somebody unless I at least liked some of their songs. Probably using the term “fan” was a little misleading. 

For instance, I recall a lot of folk saying they went to see Metallica out of curiosity, even though they openly disliked metal. 

Anyway back to Radiohead. 

I reckon they’ll headline again within the next 5 years....

I’ll go and see stuff I may not like for a number of reasons and always try to keep an open mind (I even got through the first 15 mins of Sheeran without getting bored). I’ll give an act the chance to win me over but rarely hang around if I’m not feeling it.

Let’s be honest, Glastonbury is the only English festival they’re going to realistically do.

They’re too big for any other festival barring R&L and they’re never going to come back to that because of the Live Nation connection and the fact that they’d probably attract like 6 people to the main stage, given what the R&L crowd is like.

The only exception I can see is something like BST.

11 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

Let’s be honest, Glastonbury is the only English festival they’re going to realistically do.

They’re too big for any other festival barring R&L and they’re never going to come back to that because of the Live Nation connection and the fact that they’d probably attract like 6 people to the main stage, given what the R&L crowd is like.

The only exception I can see is something like BST.

I could imagine Latitude bagging them if they really pushed the boat out. Thom has a good relationship with that festival.

55 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I could imagine Latitude bagging them if they really pushed the boat out. Thom has a good relationship with that festival.

Yeah Thom at least has made a few appearances so it wouldn’t surprise me if this happened at some point. Think something like this is more likely to happen before the next time they return to headline Glastonbury, anyway.