Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

So that'll be the AMSP era over, then. Looking forward to the band's solo projects but I wonder how far away new Radiohead material is. No new songs played during the tour, so I'm expecting a long wait, 2022/23 for some new stuff maybe? Hope I'm wrong tho. 76 shows and still no Just since 09! 

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

So that'll be the AMSP era over, then. Looking forward to the band's solo projects but I wonder how far away new Radiohead material is. No new songs played during the tour, so I'm expecting a long wait, 2022/23 for some new stuff maybe? Hope I'm wrong tho. 76 shows and still no Just since 09! 

Is Ed still doing his solo record?

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Is Ed still doing his solo record?

Turns out there's this web site called "Google" where you can find out the answers to all sorts of questions.

Yes, he's towards the end of recording it now if his plans from last November panned out:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a13529349/radiohead-ed-obrien-interview/

35 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Hope Ed or Thom are at the farm next year. Most excited to hear the Suspiria soundtrack. 

or Both! Could seem them both doing it, I think Ed specifically voiced his love for the festival on a radio interview that aired last year. Just depends if his record is out and if he's going to tour it.

11 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Where would Thom play? Something like JP headliner seems a good fit but quite hard to judge. I think it would seem strange watching him do an evening set on the Other stage for example.

Higher, surely? He’s the frontman if one of the world’s biggest bands; I can see him headlining APE or Latitude or something if he’s doing proper live sets and not DJing.

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Higher, surely? He’s the frontman if one of the world’s biggest bands; I can see him headlining APE or Latitude or something if he’s doing proper live sets and not DJing.

Nahhhh I can't see him going for the main stage headline slots like that unless he makes a drastic change in his solo output. It just wouldn't work. More likely he sticks to doing expensive gigs that are hard to get tickets for in smaller venues, and for Glasto it'll be a secret slot if he shows up at all.

I'm up for an Eeeeeeeeeeed set on the Park tho.

Edited by Mash011

29 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Nahhhh I can't see him going for the main stage headline slots like that unless he makes a drastic change in his solo output. It just wouldn't work. More likely he sticks to doing expensive gigs that are hard to get tickets for in smaller venues, and for Glasto it'll be a secret slot if he shows up at all.

I'm up for an Eeeeeeeeeeed set on the Park tho.

He’s rumoured to be playing at Coachella... although he debuted AfP there and never bothered to play fests over here so yer probably right.

Ed set will be cool. Needs to get a move on.

18 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Yeah I certainly wouldn't expect to hear anything from them until 2021 at the very earliest.

God that feels a long time away.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

All the more time that @stuartbert two hats can get out of the “9. Pablo Honey“ shirt. When LP10 comes out it turns into a fierce criticism of the new album.

I have a vested interest in hating the new album don't I? ;)

I wore it to Blue Dot and a couple complimented me on the shirt, not realising the significance of the "9.".  You should have seen their faces when I started ripping strips off Pablo Honey.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I love the atmosphere of Little by Little and can’t really understand the lack of love for it (even from the band, given how often they play the bugger).

It's the annoyingly repetitive drum loop, the lack of melodic invention and inspiring structure that makes me not love it. And Thom sounds particularly whiney without being expressive.

It's still better than the Magpie song, probably worse than Feral. Together, the weakest three track run since Pabs.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's the annoyingly repetitive drum loop, the lack of melodic invention and inspiring structure that makes me not love it. And Thom sounds particularly whiney without being expressive.

It's still better than the Magpie song, probably worse than Feral. Together, the weakest three track run since Pabs.

I'll at least agree with you over Mr Magpie & Feral. The former I was rather disappointed with as it was one of their songs that I really liked from the versions I'd heard prior to release, and was rather underwhelmed by the finished product.

9 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Bloom is too dense and knotted

I know what you mean. I think the fundamental composition is sound, but after hearing the Blue Planet version, I don't think those drums do the song any favours at all. You would think the juxtaposition of repetitive beats over an organic backdrop would be effective and hypnotic, but it doesn't work. I would say that Bloom works the best of their problematic tracks. It's mainly the drums (and the brick wall compression) that are wrong with Bloom.

The more I think about it, the more I think their digital collage recording approach on this album in the whole doesn't work. The timing of the way samples are dropped in isn't quite right. 

Other than Separator, of course. That's pretty much a perfect recording. The drum loop does work on that song, probably because the underlying song is pretty repetitive, so you do get that hypnotic effect.