Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

8 hours ago, barkley87 said:

This person has put possibly the entire Manchester set on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/godieinhell2

I haven't watched it yet (my other half is next to me loudly watching something about magicians,) so don't know what the quality is like.

Filmed the whole gig? Arms must've been wrecked!

47 minutes ago, barkley87 said:

The people behind him must have hated him. He better not go to any Bruce Springsteen gigs. 

In fairness to gig-videotapers, they do the public some service from time to time. I wouldve been pretty disappointed to have been behind this goofball for the whole show however, agreed.

26 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

In fairness to gig-videotapers, they do the public some service from time to time. I wouldve been pretty disappointed to have been behind this goofball for the whole show however, agreed.

Yep, I love watching that stuff on youtube. For 99% of gigs it's the only record we have. I applaud them.

As you say though, I dont want to be anywhere near them at the gig.

11 hours ago, Mash011 said:

I Promise is crap and would be the worst thing on OKC by a mile if it had been left on. Lift and Man of War much much better, but they wouldn't really have fit it either.

As others have mentioned - Electioneering. They dont play it for a reason. I have never seen it live and yet have no desire to. I maintain I only require Subterranean Homesick Alien for OKC Bingo completion, as Electioneering doesn't count in my mind. An awful gash of a scar on such a wondrous album. I just assume everyone hits the skip button for it, no? Its the reason why I sometimes debate if I prefer The Bends over OK as I view the Bends as flawless from start to finish, with no need for a skip button. 

4 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

As others have mentioned - Electioneering. They dont play it for a reason. I have never seen it live and yet have no desire to. I maintain I only require Subterranean Homesick Alien for OKC Bingo completion, as Electioneering doesn't count in my mind. An awful gash of a scar on such a wondrous album. I just assume everyone hits the skip button for it, no? Its the reason why I sometimes debate if I prefer The Bends over OK as I view the Bends as flawless from start to finish, with no need for a skip button. 

Nahhh Electioneering is fun and I'd be well up for them playing it now and then. Bit of an outlier stylistically but the second half of the album does need that kick of energy. I Promise is just miserably dull.

22 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Some gig videotapers manage to hold the camera in front/to the side a bit and not over the head so your view isn't really impeded. Can't see how they can enjoy the gig fully whilst filming the whole thing though. 

I think they're c**ts. Drives me mad when someone spends a gig watching through a tiny screen rather than just enjoying and living what's in front of them.

Just now, ThomThomDrum said:

Never watch their footage of a gig you have been to but? 

Can't say I do. I never watch gig footage back (BBC's professional GF coverage notwithstanding). Most of it is shite, impossible to see anything or make out sounds from what I've seen.

For clarity I've nothing against the odd photo or ten second clip, it's those tools who stand there for two hours with their phones constantly in the air I hate.

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think they're c**ts. Drives me mad when someone spends a gig watching through a tiny screen rather than just enjoying and living what's in front of them.

They provide a valuable service. Yes they are weirdos for sacrificing their enjoyment of the gig just to throw it on youtube, but that's not our problem. There are loads and loads and loads of amazing videos on youtube that are essential viewing.

If you are stood near one, simply move away.

At the big Eric Prdz gigs there's usually a fan or 2 that will stand at the back and video the entire concert in one shot from start to finish.

If you think filming a Radiohead gig is silly, imagine what most go through the minds of a Eric Prydz fan to spend 50-60 quid to go to a dance event and then spend the entire 3 hours filming rather doing any of the afromentioned dancing.

Also to make it even more relevent to the thread, I truly believe Eric Prydz is the Radiohead of the dance genre.

I don't have a strong opinion on the tapers themselves and agree with the general 'move away' thinking, but I'm with my man H. Jass on almost never watching gig footage on YouTube.  

It usually either provides an unreliable indicator of what to expect or sullies good memories of what actually was.

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

They provide a valuable service. Yes they are weirdos for sacrificing their enjoyment of the gig just to throw it on youtube, but that's not our problem. There are loads and loads and loads of amazing videos on youtube that are essential viewing.

I'm obviously a lot more old-fashioned in this respect. I miss the days before everyone had a video camera in their pockets. I have no interest in watching grainy amateur footage of stuff I've been to because that wasn't my experience, it was someone else's. I was too busy enjoying myself and the performance to think "ooh I need to record this so I can post it on my Instragram page later and people will think I'm cool."

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm obviously a lot more old-fashioned in this respect. I miss the days before everyone had a video camera in their pockets. I have no interest in watching grainy amateur footage of stuff I've been to because that wasn't my experience, it was someone else's. I was too busy enjoying myself and the performance to think "ooh I need to record this so I can post it on my Instragram page later and people will think I'm cool."

Yes but what about gigs you didnt go to though?

I admire your stance and in principle agree, but there are some gems out there that you're missing out on, just to prove a point..

13 minutes ago, russycarps said:

While we're on this .......

Is there not a lot less gig footage on YouTube these days compared to a few years ago ?

Ive mentioned this before on here. I still see loads of filming going on but seems less new stuff when you search YouTube.

Have the times changed and the yoof are putting it all over their instagrammers or am I just searching wrong ?

I never film but often appreciate a wee look at others footage.

Each to their own I say. As long as they're being considerate to others.

Re: Electioneering, would like to hear it live, if only for the novelty and would happily give up No Suprises or whatever yet again. Isn't ever going to happen though. In fact, no doubt the next tour will see far fewer OKC tracks being aired.

8 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yes but what about gigs you didnt go to though?

I admire your stance and in principle agree, but there are some gems out there that you're missing out on, just to prove a point..

I feel like it would be hypocritical of me to watch stuff I haven't been to either, given how much I moan about people filming, so you're right I probably am spiting myself out of principle.

The other thing is that I simply don't enjoy watching amateur gig footage. I have no interest in it.

14 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

While we're on this .......

Is there not a lot less gig footage on YouTube these days compared to a few years ago ?

Ive mentioned this before on here. I still see loads of filming going on but seems less new stuff when you search YouTube.

Have the times changed and the yoof are putting it all over their instagrammers or am I just searching wrong ?

I never film but often appreciate a wee look at others footage.

I think YouTube takes a lot more stuff down these days.

Most amateur footage is poor and can be frustrating to watch (I don't want to watch a whole gig of just Thom even if it is filmed on a great camera) but it enables multi-taper projects like the Prague gig in '09. A decent crowd multi-source can give a much better feel of the gig than pro-shot.