Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

13 hours ago, Ipayne said:

Honestly never heard a festival crowd (around me at least) go as quiet as when Exit Music started. That was incredible! Lucky was absolutely perfect to follow Daydreaming, can't wait to rewatch the set when I'm home

Lucky you,quite a few loud drunk arseholes around us for Exit Music sadly. 

I thought it was the best set I had seen from any band ever despite considering myself a more casual fan. I was pretty close to the front so didn't have to deal with the screens, and the atmosphere where I was standing was incredible. They've definitely converted me.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Seems to be the major problem here. All of us big fans were up front and so probably weren't looking at the screens much at all so absolutely loved it, whereas the people who needed to be won over down back struggled because they couldn't even see what was going on. Obviously the music matters most but this seems to be a major problem with Radiohead (especially given their music isn't the most accessible to begin with). Feel sorry for those major fans who end up at the back at Old Trafford - £75+ to see the back of a bunch of people's heads and some blurs and lights on stage).

I count myself as a big fan, but as someone who was by myself since the rest of my group were elsewhere (and also as someone who suffers from anxiety at being in a big crowd) I stayed towards the back. Obviously this was an oversight on my part, as apparently there was quite a lot of room at the front? But I still think they should have thought about those towards the back of the field. No problems with the setlist - in fact they played almost everything I would have wanted apart from All I Need, National Anthem, and Life in a Glasshouse - but obviously they can't play everything! I thought it was quite well geared towards the casual fan. I just wish I had been with someone else and had got closer!

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I never doubted Daydreaming as an opener...

But if people seemingly thought Lucky wasn't a banger then Daydreaming > Desert Island Disk would've sent people streaming out of the field. Daydreaming was ace, but Lucky following it made it all the sweeter.

Popping by to let you know I exchanged awkward pleasantries with T*om York* in Greenpeace on Saturday. Then he got scared off when he was spotted by a group of #LADS all done up in dresses like birds, proper fooking class banter merchants like.

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Feel sorry for those major fans who end up at the back at Old Trafford - £75+ to see the back of a bunch of people's heads and some blurs and lights on stage).

Yeah I'm a bit worried about this. It's bad enough being at the back of arenas, but Old Trafford is pretty massive isn't it? Could be even more of an issue in daylight there isn't at least got a nice light show to make up for it. 

Not sure when I'll need to get positioned for a decent spot but there's no way I'm staying put for hours before they're even on stage.

5 hours ago, bocumaroy said:

Yeah I'm a bit worried about this. It's bad enough being at the back of arenas, but Old Trafford is pretty massive isn't it? Could be even more of an issue in daylight there isn't at least got a nice light show to make up for it. 

Not sure when I'll need to get positioned for a decent spot but there's no way I'm staying put for hours before they're even on stage.

So I'm guessing that the screens at Glastonbury will be the same at Old Trafford? It's such an shit choice it might actually put me off going...

41 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

So I'm guessing that the screens at Glastonbury will be the same at Old Trafford? It's such an shit choice it might actually put me off going...

Not sure, just going by what other people have said about them having had a similar setup in the past for big outdoor shows. 

My two cents on this... thought it was a great gig. When we first got into the field after seeing half of Lorde we had a bit of a shit spot surrounded by talkers, but we gradually moved forward as the crowd shifted and ended up in quite a good place. I thought the setlist was superb, all the classics, and Idioteque was just insane. Had a lovely singalong and even enjoyed Creep, which I'm not arsed about, chiefly for Jonnys guitar. Obviously I'd have loved The Bends but it was never going to happen and I think they did a very crowdpleasing set overall.

I agree about the screens though. Occasionally saw a glimpse of Thom but it did make it hard to feel engaged initially. Will be watching again on iPlayer I reckon.

9 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Popping by to let you know I exchanged awkward pleasantries with T*om York* in Greenpeace on Saturday. Then he got scared off when he was spotted by a group of #LADS all done up in dresses like birds, proper fooking class banter merchants like.

I gave him a hug on Saturday morning at the Park. I think he was a bit taken aback, but I did ask first!

Then just said 'Thank you for last night, and for everything', and let him carry on with his girls to meet Ed and his family by the Rabbit Hole.

• Upvote 1

They were fantastic! Seen them four times before over the years (2xGasto, 1xOxford, 1xWales), and this was up there with the best of them. We were right at the front, near Jonny, but had to arrive during Kris Kristofferson, and not move for 6 hours, to do it. 

But WTF was going on with the bass from the XX's drum machine/pad thing?  Soooo loud. Even the security guards, with their earplugs, also had their fingers in their ears, and looking at each other like "this is too much". Thank fuck we had earplugs. Without them they'd be seriously ringing.

Edited by GingerRock

I don't get the complaints about the setlist at all, t'was near perfect apart from the absence of Reckoner. It was as accommodating as possible for a festival crowd, with lots of OK Computer, plus played all their biggest songs from the other albums. Fortunately I was in the inner circle thing, so a great atmosphere- did feel bad for those further back with no screens though. I did love it though was sad at the same time knowing I was missing the Flaming Lips!

Left after Pyramid Song. Only got to the stage as Daydreaming was starting so didn't manage to secure a decent spot. The amount of talking by the crowd put the kibosh on any decent atmosphere being created during the set, even Airbag didnt hit the spot.

Gonna watch it later to see how it looked on telly. Glad that most who've been stoked on here all year enjoyed it.

Managed to get up in plenty of time for Flaming Lips instead, probably up there with the best things I've ever seen at Glastonbury.

Yep am watching whole thing again and it is as good performance as I have seen on the Pyramid over he last 9 times.  Brilliant. 

Agree with the screen thing - if you couldn't see the the stage it would have made it hard to engage unless you were a super fan. Inside the sound desk circle was brilliant.