Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

15 minutes ago, GlastoSimon said:

How many bands do you think can fill 2h15 without a bit of a lull for casual fans?

But the point is the lull needn't have lasted the first hour of the set. The blitz of well-known bangers right at the end isn't much help when the casual crowd those songs were being played for had long since drifted elsewhere thanks to Ful Stop/15 Step/Bloom/Myxomatosis etc. Just spread it out a bit, it's not hard lads.

Edited by Zac Quinn
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Zac Quinn said:

But the point is the lull needn't have lasted the first hour of the set. The blitz of well-known bangers right at the end isn't much help when the casual crowd those songs were being played for had drifted elsewhere thanks to Ful Stop/15 Step/Bloom/Myxomatosis etc. Just spread it out a bit, it's not hard lads.

To repeat - they played four songs from their biggest and most famous album - indeed one of the biggest albums of the last 30 years or so in terms of impact - in the first 8. If that's a "lull" during the first hour...

• Upvote 1

Just now, arcade fireman said:

To repeat - they played four songs from their biggest and most famous album - indeed one of the biggest albums of the last 30 years or so in terms of impact - in the first 8. If that's a "lull" during the first hour...

Unfortunately yes that is a lull for people that aren't familiar with their albums! Playing the first hour without a well known single or hit isn't going to persuade people on the fence to hang around. As Radiohead fans we know that Lucky etc are well known Radiohead songs, but they're not well known to the general public. All I'm saying is that they could have spread the hits out more, so instead of it being a barrage at the end they could have been spread a bit more to keep people interested.

As an example, Coldplay in 2011 opened their set with a song that nobody knew and wasn't even released yet. But they hit back with Yellow and In My Place as #2 and #3 to keep the crowd on side. Radiohead played a downbeat piano number and 5 album tracks for their first 6 songs. I mean, who outside of people already keen Radiohead fans would know any of those first 6 or 7 tracks? 

I'm not saying the gig was a bad one at all, clearly it was fantastic for many people. But there are lots of reports that people were streaming out within half an hour (as happens with a lot of headliners to be fair), and I'm suggesting that the opening to the set didn't do much to help prevent this

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, whoozyschmoozy said:

Unfortunately yes that is a lull for people that aren't familiar with their albums! Playing the first hour without a well known single or hit isn't going to persuade people on the fence to hang around. As Radiohead fans we know that Lucky etc are well known Radiohead songs, but they're not well known to the general public. All I'm saying is that they could have spread the hits out more, so instead of it being a barrage at the end they could have been spread a bit more to keep people interested.

As an example, Coldplay in 2011 opened their set with a song that nobody knew and wasn't even released yet. But they hit back with Yellow and In My Place as #2 and #3 to keep the crowd on side. Radiohead played a downbeat piano number and 5 album tracks for their first 6 songs. I mean, who outside of people already keen Radiohead fans would know any of those first 6 or 7 tracks? 

I'm not saying the gig was a bad one at all, clearly it was fantastic for many people. But there are lots of reports that people were streaming out within half an hour (as happens with a lot of headliners to be fair), and I'm suggesting that the opening to the set didn't do much to help prevent this

Lucky was a big single. They played that second up. Exit Music is a really well known song and was on a major film soundtrack. I don't think you can compare Radiohead and Coldplay either and not just on subjective measures like quality - Coldplay are a much bigger singles band than they are an albums band.

Every time they put something out it gets added to the Capital FM playlist. Radiohead on the other hand are a much bigger albums band than a singles band. Their albums generate a huge cultural buzz and chart highly, but it's been 20 years since you'd hear their stuff on mainstream radio. 

Radiohead's very reputation is about being a little more avant garde, more about the performance and the musicianship and less about the "bangers" and the "hits". They already played a huge hit laden set list which only included two off their last album. They played Creep. Why should they have to change everything just to satisfy people who can't be patient enough to watch the whole set? 

I don't think it's just the die hards that know the OKC album tracks. It was a huge album. The first 8 tracks contained Airbag, Myxo, 15 Step, Ful Stop - even if you don't know those songs they're pretty up tempo and hardly dreary. If people walk out during that that's their choice but it's not something Radiohead should have to change for. 

• Upvote 2

Just had a go at making the most 'crowd pleaser' set Radiohead could realistically do in 25 songs. Obviously it's open to interpretation, but think most would agree this includes most if not all of their biggest hits. Made sure there's at least 1 song per album they've released too, like there was last night.

1. Airbag
  2. The Bends
  3. The National Anthem
  4. Lucky
  5. There There
  6. Ful Stop
  7. My Iron Lung
  8. Pyramid Song
  9. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
  10. Let Down
  11. No Surprises
  12. Just
  13. Nude
  14. Everything In Its Right Place
  15. Idioteque
  16. Bodysnatchers
  17. Street Spirit (Fade Out)

18. Daydreaming
  19. 2+2=5
  20. Reckoner
  21. Paranoid Android
  22. Fake Plastic Trees

23. Lotus Flower
  24. Creep
  25. Karma Police

Obviously there was no way Radiohead would ever do a set like that, but when you look at it there's only 5 songs different to last night. I substituted 15 Step, Myxomatosis, Exit Music (For A Film), Bloom and You & Whose Army for The Bends, The National Anthem, My Iron Lung, Just and Reckoner.

Also, order has been changed a lot compared to last night so that the start is more hard hitting, but 5 songs changed out of 25 shows that last nights setlist couldn't have been filled with many more classics realistically. Fair there perhaps should have been more at the start, but I don't know what people expected from a Radiohead gig. They're not exactly known for playing their biggest fan favourite tunes, even at festivals (look at coachella in 2012). 5 songs away from the most 'crowd friendly' setlist isn't bad at all.

Edit: Plus, this setlist includes Just, which hasn't been played since 2009.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

Having been right at the front last night, and also having popped home for a shower and watch the BBC coverage of Radiohead, I think it is safe to say ...

If the onsite screens simply showed the BBC coverage, people would be a lot happier.

Both BBC coverage, and gig from front were awesome

They were just okay. It was my 4th time seeing them this year and it was probably the worst of them. I think Radiohead hype, being at an all time high, is leading most down a road to say it was better than it was. They are much much better in a smaller (~15,000 seat) arena than in giant fields.

Still in absolute awe over Radiohead's set. Genuinely felt like a dream. Unbelievable musicianship from all members.

From the start of Daydreaming to the end of Karma Police it was electric.

Was there with a band mate, it didn't half serve an inspiration to us.

On the topic of Daydreaming it's a really subtle but excellent opener. I had my slight doubts but it sure came good!

Edited by willutalk
  • Upvote 1

On 24 June 2017 at 8:07 PM, arcade fireman said:

One thing we can all agree on is those screens! I don't know why they thought that would be a good idea! 

It was the same at Leeds in 2009. Didn't take away from how majestic that show was.

To be fair a lot of bands seem to do that these days.

23 hours ago, Anarion said:

Why should a headliner at Glastonbury care so much for casual fans?

It's not a question of 'should', it just marks the difference between gig and festival. The onus of responsibility isn't on the festival goer to go and educate themselves on the back catalogue of the acts they want to see. It's up to the band to provide an accessible set. Foo Fighters did that, to an extent. Radiohead disappeared up their own arse, to an extent. The fact they played a song or three from a very popular album doesn't matter if it's not crowd friendly. 

12 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It's not a question of 'should', it just marks the difference between gig and festival. The onus of responsibility isn't on the festival goer to go and educate themselves on the back catalogue of the acts they want to see. It's up to the band to provide an accessible set. Foo Fighters did that, to an extent. Radiohead disappeared up their own arse, to an extent. The fact they played a song or three from a very popular album doesn't matter if it's not crowd friendly. 

Just out of interest what do you think they should have played which would have made it more crowd friendly? 

Literally don't understand setlist criticism 

they hardly played new album and played hits from all albums 

like what hits are everyone even moaning about missing? Sure there's wasn't much kid a or bends but its a special ok computer  set which is universally loved 

20 minutes ago, OddRon said:

Literally don't understand setlist criticism 

they hardly played new album and played hits from all albums 

like what hits are everyone even moaning about missing? Sure there's wasn't much kid a or bends but its a special ok computer  set which is universally loved 

It's more the order, for me. Swap There There, No Surprises and Paranoid Android with 15 Step, Myxomatosis and Weird Fishes and it's instantly 10x more engaging for the casuals. (Even better if two of those along with Bloom were sacrificed for My Iron Lung, Just and a proper version of Burn The Witch but that would presumably be asking way too much.)

Edited by Zac Quinn

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Goddamn I can't wait for the Manchester show. There will he tears. Plz don't play The Gloaming.

I wasn't sure if I was going to be home from work so didn't get a ticket for Manchester but I've seen a few pop up over the last few days so I'm going to grab one for consolation in missing out on Glastonbury.