Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

55 minutes ago, jparx said:

I don't get the hate with arenas. The crowd makes the difference - the building doesn't matter that much. I've been to great venues with pants crowds, and pants venues with great crowds. If the MEN is full of Radiohead fans all going mental, you'll soon forgot you're in a 'soulless' arena!

Get where you're coming from but the venue can have a big impact on the behaviour of the crowd.

I saw QOTSA there, they were musically on top form, I was right at the front, and by rights it should have been great - but as mentioned the bright lights and quiet volume made the crowd a bit lifeless which was a real shame. Saying that I sincerely hope Radiohead are great for all who got a ticket!

11 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Not arena sized and not an arena, Tom!

I've been to the Apollo maybe three times and the sound was exceptional every time, including Sigur Ros in 2000-and-something, one of my five best gigs of all time, not least of all for the sound. It was designed for acoustics!

Glad JB was great. Loving him more and more and WH was one of my GF2016 highlights.

Ben

:P fair enough.

On the subject of Sigur Ros, are we expecting to get a UK tour (preferably not arenas :)) from them next year?

I saw TOOL at Nottingham arena in 2006 and the sound was beyond crystal clear. 

Horses for course innit. I'm sure Thom and lads will be able to wrestle some decent sound out of the old MEN.

edit: they better fucking do anyway for £82.50 a ticket!

Edited by jparx

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Just be happy you don't live in America. Stones, Macca, Fleetwood Mac, Beyonce, Bruce etc all charging over $250 (some of them over $500) as an average ticket price. 

burn the others, but easy on the Boss though...his top ticket only $150 in US for 2016 River run. The only disappointment is that this was a $40-50 jump from his last east coast stadium run, but he's merely catching up to the going rate for oldies legends, not exceeding or even reaching it.

great thread by the way Nal! Thanks for opening and for leading/spearheading/guiding us thru our engagement with the amazing Radiohead!

57 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

burn the others, but easy on the Boss though...his top ticket only $150 in US for 2016 River run. The only disappointment is that this was a $40-50 jump from his last east coast stadium run, but he's merely catching up to the going rate for oldies legends, not exceeding or even reaching it.

See the prices for his upcoming Australian tour?!

:o

great thread by the way Nal! Thanks for opening and for leading/spearheading/guiding us thru our engagement with the amazing Radiohead!

<_<

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Did you experience the sound for James Blake at West Holts this year?

Oh. My. Word.

Arena, Ashmena.

:)

Ben

The bass during limit your love nearly knocked me over! I'd no idea who he was at the time but I really enjoyed that set. The song he did with Vince Staples was great.

46 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

The bass during limit your love nearly knocked me over! I'd no idea who he was at the time but I really enjoyed that set. The song he did with Vince Staples was great.

Absolutely, Madyaker, but how clean was that bass? I've had that volume/intensity/resonance of bass countless times before and it's been sternum-rattlingly horrible. I think I can comfortably say that the sound at that set was the best outdoor festival stage sound I've ever heard. And I've heard a fair bit...!

:)

Ben

I find Arenas are fine as long as Im stood nearish the front - if you get there before the support finish up, thats never an issue. Plus, the stage isnt that far away from the crowd compared to a stadium/festival.

Feel this calls for a list:

Manchester Arena

Leeds Arena

London O2 Arena

Manchester Central

Sheffield Arena

Liverpool Arena

Wembley Arena

Birmingham LG Arena

27 minutes ago, donkeykong said:

I actually quite like the O2 when it comes to arenas. Always been good sound, they don't oversell it and the tramlines round the edge mean it's easy to get to toilet or bar. Radiohead were blooming great there in 2012

Is that standing or sitting ? And how easy it to get a good view standing ? Normally always stand but I've got a long drive back after so might go for seated. Are the 2nd tier really bad?

We got standing for Tuesday and seated (114) for Wednesday.

Agree with comments about how fucking expensive it is. They could have given us a few more days to get the money together. 

But W.A.S.T.E. came through eh? Looks like everybody on here who wanted tickets got them. When it goes mental on Friday morning we can sit back and relax.

Basically the same story as everyone in this thread: wasn't going to go for Manchester, due to it being midweek/expensive/less than two weeks after Glastonbury/in an arena. I don't hate arenas. It's true that you often wouldn't know you're in a fucking tank of a venue if you're down the front. But I find myself going to fewer and fewer arena shows. It's just more exciting to me to watch some band I've never heard of play in a terrible basement. (That isn't meant to be some sarcastic riff on muso snobbery. I did see a band I'd never heard of play in a terrible basement a few weeks ago, and it was thrilling. It made me feel like I did when I was 13 and discovering music.) But I am going to Manchester. I was bribed to go along with someone who isn't going to Glastonbury, basically. And I'm excited! I'm sure it will be really great. But I wouldn't be going if it was just me. Can't imagine it will be better than Glastonbury.

As for it being the going rate for bands of their size, I'm not sure. Blur are my favourite band. I've seen them, like, everywhere, and have rarely paid more than £40 (Hyde Park/festivals not included). Tickets for their tour last year were £35. I've got a feeling they were around £25-30 in 2012 but I can't be arsed to check. Maybe they are the exception, rather than the rule. They also tend to play weird, far-flung places. So I don't really know where I'm going with this.

I've seen Arctic Monkeys a fair few times and haven't paid over £40 for them either. I swerved their Finsbury Park shows because they were ~£50 (maybe more? I don't remember). I paid £35 to see them at Earls Court on the AM tour, though that was 3 years ago now. So it's obviously possible to charge less than, like, fucking £80. But if people are willing to pay it, and the artists won't go out of their way to make sure tickets are affordable, things aren't going to change. 

10 hours ago, Waapster said:

Agree with comments about how fucking expensive it is. They could have given us a few more days to get the money together. 

But W.A.S.T.E. came through eh? Looks like everybody on here who wanted tickets got them. When it goes mental on Friday morning we can sit back and relax.

I still have Friday pain , don't think I've yet forgiven my manager for pulling us into a team meeting at 9am 

4 minutes ago, cammie81 said:

Are we supposed to get confirmation email with pre-sale tickets?

Not received anything yet and nothing showing on W.A.S.T.E.

Money has been taken though.

Yep I got a confirmation from Sandbag LTD. You sure you typed the right email? As I did mine wrong with the Roundhouse show and had a little panic, but the tickets still arrived, or it may just be that there's a delay with yours being sent out. Could always email/ring for peace of mind 

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep I got a confirmation from Sandbag LTD. You sure you typed the right email? As I did mine wrong with the Roundhouse show and had a little panic, but the tickets still arrived, or it may just be that there's a delay with yours being sent out. Could always email/ring for peace of mind 

Thanks, will do that. Usually use keyboard shortcut for email address so unlikely but you never know.

20 hours ago, cammie81 said:

Thanks for these - booked into the Little Northern on the Tuesday! Next July is the month of my 40th so what better way to start it off than with Radiohead :D

12 hours ago, Waapster said:

Waste did not come through for everyone no. I managed to snag Wednesday standing but failed for the Tuesday. Failed for my brother as well. Friday pain it is. I have the FEAR.