Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

7 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Strange isn't it! I used to mock my mate who eventually got me into them. I thought they were boring, but I always said to him I haven't heard enough of them to make a proper judgement. I'd never discount a band after only hearing a handful of stuff. Now they're one of my favourite bands of all time.

I can't handle this anticipation. I had this same feeling when Arctic Monkeys headlined (I know a lot of people on this forum don't regard them in the same way as me, but they are in my top 3 of all time). I knew they were going to be announced months and months before any rumour, I just knew it. The build up to that Glastonbury for me and my mates, loads of which love them like me, was beyond belief, I've never felt anything like it, I could barely sleep at times with excitement.

Low and behold, another of my all time favourites gets announced for next year. The same process is going to be repeated. I've spent the last two weekends with two different mates (both going in 2017, and both adore RH) getting disgracefully pissed and rocking out to hours of live Radiohead until the early hours. This is going to be an Incredibly slow 8 months. But fuck me I'm excited. So fucking excited. All day every day I just keep thinking "shit me if they play this, if they play that", it doesn't matter. It's going to be historic.

Did the arctic monkeys live up to your expectations? I really hope they did after reading that!

7 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Strange isn't it! I used to mock my mate who eventually got me into them. I thought they were boring, but I always said to him I haven't heard enough of them to make a proper judgement. I'd never discount a band after only hearing a handful of stuff. Now they're one of my favourite bands of all time.

I can't handle this anticipation. I had this same feeling when Arctic Monkeys headlined (I know a lot of people on this forum don't regard them in the same way as me, but they are in my top 3 of all time). I knew they were going to be announced months and months before any rumour, I just knew it. The build up to that Glastonbury for me and my mates, loads of which love them like me, was beyond belief, I've never felt anything like it, I could barely sleep at times with excitement.

Low and behold, another of my all time favourites gets announced for next year. The same process is going to be repeated. I've spent the last two weekends with two different mates (both going in 2017, and both adore RH) getting disgracefully pissed and rocking out to hours of live Radiohead until the early hours. This is going to be an Incredibly slow 8 months. But fuck me I'm excited. So fucking excited. All day every day I just keep thinking "shit me if they play this, if they play that", it doesn't matter. It's going to be historic.

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Did the arctic monkeys live up to your expectations? I really hope they did after reading that!

Yeah, that was a really nice post Stokesy. 

How were they for you?

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

It was such a nice post I am definitely not going to call him a complete tithead for picking them over portishead. No sir.

Yeah, I mean, leaving that utterly unfathomable fuck up aside, it was a charming heartfelt post!

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

It was such a nice post I am definitely not going to call him a complete tithead for picking them over portishead. No sir.

Sometimes, you just have to follow your love. Even knowing what I do about that Portishead gig, if I felt that way about the Arctics, I would miss Portishead - even if objectively speaking the better performance was at t'Other.

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Sometimes, you just have to follow your love. Even knowing what I do about that Portishead gig, if I felt that way about the Arctics, I would miss Portishead - even if objectively speaking the better performance was at t'Other.

Would you watch Gorillaz if they headlined again, Stu?

Genuine question. 

that was a hell of a several way clash that night. could've been at any of the main stages and had a great time (although will always regret not seeing Portishead, or even Chic). Radiohead will obviously win over anybody but they better not pull any of that awful clash shit on the Friday night next year

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

Would you watch Gorillaz if they headlined again, Stu?

Genuine question. 

Totally, without hesitation. I enjoyed it immensely. I'm a big fan of the albums, so all these complaints of lack of showmanship were irrelevant to me. They played Gorillaz songs, for the most part pretty well. I'll never understand what the fuss was about that performance, never.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Time for Nile and the lads to stage a return. ...

Dunno if his FOLD festival is on over the same weekend again this year.....

Agree wholeheartedly with this. Would love to see them again. 

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Totally, without hesitation. I enjoyed it immensely. I'm a big fan of the albums, so all these complaints of lack of showmanship were irrelevant to me. They played Gorillaz songs, for the most part pretty well. I'll never understand what the fuss was about that performance, never.

I thought gorillaz were great. When I read the reviews on here I feel like I was at a different gig.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Agree wholeheartedly with this. Would love to see them again. 

I thought gorillaz were great. When I read the reviews on here I feel like I was at a different gig.

It's not just here, it's Glasto Chat, it's my mate we were camping with. It seems that 'objectively' speaking it wasn't a good gig. But I thought it was great. I liked the guitar in Stylo, I liked the way Broken was played, I thought Empire Ants was great and To Binge was really sweet. And Snoop was ace when he finally bothered to turn up!

I wasn't there, but it's a fatal case of an unfamiliar, mostly downbeat setlist combining with a lack of audience engagement.

In terms of whether the Plastic Beach album tracks about the environment were rendered well, they probably were, but it's kind of academic when that's not what people were really in the market for.

I wanted to enjoy Gorillaz.  I took time to choose them over the Lips.  But Damon looked scared/stressed and didn't loosen up by the third tune (whatever it was) so we beat a hasty retreat and sprinted to the Other.  Best decision.

Likewise, I actually chose Chic over Portishead but within a couple of songs I knew I was at the wrong place and belted over to Portishead (in time for The Rip <3 ).

It's great when the going underfoot allows you to change your mind and run.

19 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Me too - but I was ready for it by then. The rip blindsided me a little. I mean - I was expecting them to be good, but fucking hell.

I was smugly stood at latitude waiting to be blown away again by the rip the other year, then thom Yorke came on stage and ruined everything  

Probably the angriest I've ever been at a gig, and I've watched the enemy

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I was smugly stood at latitude waiting to be blown away again by the rip the other year, then thom Yorke came on stage and ruined everything  

Probably the angriest I've ever been at a gig, and I've watched the enemy

Sounds like a great idea, but shit in practice I'm guessing?

Thank God. I thought I was on the wrong forum for a moment ...Support for Gorillaz?  I was there and despite getting crushed twice - once by the crowd rushing in and again 20 minutes later by them rushing out... I thought it was great gig. True Damon could have worked the crowd a bit more but it certainly didn't deserve the vitriol it's got on this site. Right now back to Radiohead playlist ...

• Upvote 1